Singapore Expats

Road-trip from Singapore....

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 1:26 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:To be fair to chipmunk,
I have to agree on his point on Malaysian car compare to SG Car. Not on the staring issues but more on speeding tickets or theft
I used to drive from SG to Penang and back on the same day. I switched to my Malaysian car at my JB factory . I would be driving at about 200 km/h om average. Many times I got tickets from the Traffice Police but never once I pay any bribes or being offered one. Just take the ticket and pay it at the police station. You will get a discount when you asked one at the counter. Everything legal and nothing dodgy. Anyway I do hold Malaysian Driving License too. Just to make it proper.
SG car is an easy target for theft in Malaysia.
SG to Penang will take me about 5 hrs on average
SG to KL 2 hours pn average
Please do not take this as an approval to speed, just sharing my past experiences working and living in Malaysia
I agree with MS on the tickets. If you pay within 48 hours at traffic police department in selected police headquarters, you will get 50% discount. But if you hold your tickets and wait till mega-discount season is announced, they will give you up to 90%.

Stupid I know but it happens.

And in case you are wondering, Malaysia TP do not keep extensive records unlike Singapore TP. You may get away easier with few tickets for mild offence.

I personally do not encourage bribing but as a pointer, if the bribe requested is much lower than the fine (and you don't want to go through the trouble), you can pay him. You don't wanna pay a RM100 bribe just to find out that your fine is only RM40 :P

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 3:05 pm

Do they share records? I'm more concerned with my insurance going up.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 3:27 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Do they share records? I'm more concerned with my insurance going up.
Nope, never will , never going to.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 3:38 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Do they share records? I'm more concerned with my insurance going up.
In that case, yee-haw!

j/k.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 3:58 pm

If you do get a ticket, there is this website to confirm if you had one

www.jpj.gov.my basically Road Transport of Malaysia
You must check on both section on the blacklist jpj and RTD

http://portal.jpj.gov.my/index.php?opti ... 19&lang=ms
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 4:31 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:
In that case, yee-haw!

j/k.
Yup. It is a big NO for our joy :P

Back then when I used to drive, I would still pay up my fines out of conscience - as promptly as I could to take advantage of that 48-hour discount. And I used to chug in a total of one speeding ticket, one for busted third brake light, and many parking tickets. So far, none of them are serious ones... :P

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 5:02 pm

Realistically if I was pulled over, what are the chances the cop will even speak English? Would I even be able to function in most of Malaysia on a road trip? :P

I should probably answer these questions before looking into destinations!

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 7:20 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Realistically if I was pulled over, what are the chances the cop will even speak English? Would I even be able to function in most of Malaysia on a road trip? :P

I should probably answer these questions before looking into destinations!
Hmm if you are in Malacca, Penang and KL where the locals are familiar with tourists, you shouldn't have any problem.

FYI, English is taught as second language in schools in Malaysia. So they should know English too!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 3:27 am

For someone whom pays about RM 9,000.00 in speeding tickets in Malaysia years ago , here is the breakdown.
SPeed Limit on the Highway is either 80, 90, 110
Anything about 10 km/h of the speed limit RM 100
Anything about above 20 km/h of the speed limit RM120
Anything above 30 km/h RM300

If you pay from AXS ATM , you pay full amount of the fine
If you got a ticket at eg. Machap and you ask the TP which station they are from, you will get 30 to 50% discount on time
You pay at other police station , you will get 30% discount max.

If you are like me, I collect all my fines in six months approx and go to Jalan Bandar TP station and bargain. Usually it cne be discounted as low as 70 % depending on the number of tickets and amount
If you holding SG or IDP licence, no demerit points, if you are P license, you will be in deep sh*t, holders of old M'sia License no demerit

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 28 Apr 2012 9:39 pm

So I made my first brief expedition into Malaysia last weekend. Just the outlets in Johor, from Tuas. About the safest brief trip I could think of, since I needed to do some shopping, and get a new passport chop for the wife's cousin.

I can't believe the number of tolls we went through (all for such trivial amounts too!). I also found it interesting that Malaysian immigration gave the wife's cousin a harder time than ICA. ICA didn't bat an eye and let us right in, Malaysia grilled me on where her return ticket was, what she's doing, bla bla bla...

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Sat, 28 Apr 2012 11:07 pm

zzm9980 wrote:So I made my first brief expedition into Malaysia last weekend. Just the outlets in Johor, from Tuas. About the safest brief trip I could think of, since I needed to do some shopping, and get a new passport chop for the wife's cousin.

I can't believe the number of tolls we went through (all for such trivial amounts too!). I also found it interesting that Malaysian immigration gave the wife's cousin a harder time than ICA. ICA didn't bat an eye and let us right in, Malaysia grilled me on where her return ticket was, what she's doing, bla bla bla...
Interesting eh? For a country where illegal immigration issue is as blatant as a government can allow, and then rewards favourable illegal immigrants with instant PRs... :sarcastic mode:

But no offence, since you mentioned "wife's cousin" I assume that she is a Vietnamese right? Pretty common, sad to say. Plus she is a female.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 06 May 2012 9:39 pm

the lynx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:So I made my first brief expedition into Malaysia last weekend. Just the outlets in Johor, from Tuas. About the safest brief trip I could think of, since I needed to do some shopping, and get a new passport chop for the wife's cousin.

Interesting eh? For a country where illegal immigration issue is as blatant as a government can allow, and then rewards favourable illegal immigrants with instant PRs... :sarcastic mode:

But no offence, since you mentioned "wife's cousin" I assume that she is a Vietnamese right? Pretty common, sad to say. Plus she is a female.
Malaysia does this? Who do they give instant PRs to? Sorry, not to up-to-date with Malaysia.

Yep, wife's cousin is Vietnamese. I know the stigma they have here, I just didn't expect Malaysia to give a shit :P

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Sun, 06 May 2012 10:11 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
the lynx wrote:

Malaysia does this? Who do they give instant PRs to? Sorry, not to up-to-date with Malaysia.

Yep, wife's cousin is Vietnamese. I know the stigma they have here, I just didn't expect Malaysia to give a shit :P
Indonesians.

In certain ways, I opine that Malaysia works like Singapore. Give away easy PRs to 'favourable race'. As loudly as it declares to be secular-friendly (not secular itself), the government harbours intentions to have Muslim Polynesian population as high as they can get (without offending the economically-strong second class citizens too much).

Anyway, at least you get the drift about Vietnamese stigma in Malaysia. Sad I know but that's happening...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 06 May 2012 10:24 pm

Oh how the world will suffer one day when everyone wants to emigrate to Vietnam or the Philippines or PRC.. haha

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 07 May 2012 5:52 pm

Indonesians.

In certain ways, I opine that Malaysia works like Singapore. Give away easy PRs to 'favourable race'. As loudly as it declares to be secular-friendly (not secular itself), the government harbours intentions to have Muslim Polynesian population as high as they can get (without offending the economically-strong second class citizens too much).

Anyway, at least you get the drift about Vietnamese stigma in Malaysia. Sad I know but that's happening...[/quote]

I would sincerely like to know on this PR issue being easily issued in Malaysia. Over 10 years of doing business there in the 90's, tried I have. Failed I have and alot of times too that I cannot even managed to get PR for myself in Malaysia.
It is not only whether you are a Muslim or non Muslim. Malaysian Government is very reluctant to issue PRs for anybody. Those that I came to know what the MD of Philip JVC . He is a Dutch but it took Rafidad Aziz intervention for him to get his PR and that took 5 years application.
M'sia is far worse than SG on PRship. You can apply for Gold Pass, My2ndHome Pass, EP LTSVP easily. PR? don't count on it. Citizenship only if you are born before 1965 before the separation or else fegeddit