Singapore Expats Forum

Road-trip from Singapore....

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Road-trip from Singapore....

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 7:42 pm

Hi,

As a new car owner on this half of the world, I'm looking for advice on road trips from Singapore, primarily day trips, or 1-2 nights. I know this limits me to Malaysia, but not sure what are nice destinations or good sites that may document them.

I'd also love to do a longer road-trip, but I've also been warned by a Thai friend to avoid southern Thailand near the Malaysian border, that isn't not safe at all. True story?

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Postby poodlek » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 9:12 pm

We recently took a holiday in the Cameron Highlands and it was lovely! Quiet, cooler weather, laid back atmosphere and pretty scenery. We didn't drive from Singapore but you could do it easily enough, I'm sure.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 9:46 pm

Can go Tesco JB n load wit Cheap Good hor!

:wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 10:29 pm

But be careful you don't come back with more than $400 worth of stuff as you could feasibly get charged GST on it and possibly customs as well, depending on what it is.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 11:33 pm

Hehe I'm familiar with this.

For maximum 1 to 2 nights, you are limited up to north Peninsula Malaysia (Penang).

Here are few fun places I can recommend briefly (in order of proximity):
1. Desaru (at east Johor state) as seaside destination
2. Malacca (you will hear that suggestion A LOT)
3. KL (if you think that you are still not bored with metropolitan scene) :P
4. Cameron Highlands (if you have been to Dalat, Vietnam, this is the humble version)
5. Genting Highlands (the cheaper and larger version of Resorts World Sentosa)
5. Ipoh (for food, Kellie's Castle and food)
6. Penang (for food, history, culture, beach, Hard Rock hotel and more food)
7. Kelantan or Terengganu (despite being radical Islamic states, both offer own share of cultural, gastronomical and beach/island destination. Just mind your clothes) :P

If you want further info on certain places, I can elaborate later (Just finished swimming and am dead tired now)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 13 Mar 2012 2:24 pm

1) This is what my initial searchs brought me too, sounds like fun for a night. I think my daughter would love the Ostrich farm we saw photos of near there.
2) On the list!
3) I'll have to go there for work, so I'll pass on KL until then...
4) humble? In what way? I've been to Da Lat and found it absolutely horrendously boring behind all possible belief and what of the biggest "suck the tourist's money" traps of anywhere in Vietnam.
5) Never heard, will research...
6) Also on the list, but not sure if I'd fly or drive!
7) Will research.

For Tesco.... I hear this is basically like Costco? I'll pass :P I can't imagine how terrible that place is to shop at, considering how bad somewhere like Isetan is when they have a 4% off sale.

I've also been preemptively warned that the "Outlet" mall in JB is huge scam and nothing like the ones in the US, so I'll also avoid that!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 13 Mar 2012 5:17 pm

If you like to drive go KL first.
Go to Berjaya Complex smack right in the center of KL beside Melia Hotel the "Orchard Road akin Tourist Belt" There is a giant roller coaster built inside this Complex.
Food is cheap and accessible to many
If you like shopping, Mid Valley Megamall is one big huge place.

Genting Highlands is a short trip from KL. There is a Fantasy World up there.

Cameron Highland will be slightly further than that. Nice scenery. You can cut through Pahang on the other side and end up at Cherating resort

SG to KL on 100 km/h speed , you will arrive there about 4 hrs

KL to Genting about 2 hrs drive approx

KL to Cameron Highlands about 3 hrs drive exit of toll and a steady climb up the mountain which will take about an hour.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 13 Mar 2012 5:35 pm

one little advice:

When I was a bit Wary of driving into KL, when those days the Malaysian took a shine to Singapore registered cars, the next best option was to cross to JB, walk to the Hertz Car rental (about a few minutes from the old checkpoint) and pick up a car .. about 100 RM for a Saga.

Lately, I was told it was a bit higher ..

Driving a Malaysian Plate was a bit safer .. and rarely did I get cut or stares . unlike the time I was driving a Singapore registered car

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Mar 2012 5:50 pm

Sorry, I just couldn't help it! :P

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:28 pm

zzm9980 wrote:1) This is what my initial searchs brought me too, sounds like fun for a night. I think my daughter would love the Ostrich farm we saw photos of near there.
2) On the list!

MS has given good pointers for interesting places for your family. Just to add, you can pay a visit to KLCC and check out the shopping mall, the twin towers and the outdoor water playground.

4) humble? In what way? I've been to Da Lat and found it absolutely horrendously boring behind all possible belief and what of the biggest "suck the tourist's money" traps of anywhere in Vietnam.

Oh? Not sure what did you do there but I went around the farms, forests and the hillside area riding pillion on a Honda Star. The town is a sad case, actually. It was the views of the flowers, farms etc that I was comparing Cameron to Dalat.

I can only rave about Ipoh for food :P It is well-known for Cantonese food, just for you to know.

... And I just realised I numbered 5 TWICE :P

If you drive based on MS's estimation, you will arrive Penang twice the time to KL (8 to 9 hours, depending on break). Flight will take you about 1 hour 15 min.

You may wanna drive because public transportation in Malaysia is poor. If you can lose your head going around in MRT/buses here, you will lose your soul there. Parking is also another inconvenience actually but taxis won't help you either (they still try to skip using the meter). Just be a devil when you drive in Malaysia.

Another option is to take a flight and rent a car.

7) Will research.

For Tesco.... I hear this is basically like Costco? I'll pass :P I can't imagine how terrible that place is to shop at, considering how bad somewhere like Isetan is when they have a 4% off sale.

Have you been to Giant in IMM here? Then imagine all Tesco outlets in Malaysia two notch lower...

I've also been preemptively warned that the "Outlet" mall in JB is huge scam and nothing like the ones in the US, so I'll also avoid that!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 9:32 am

To be fair to chipmunk,
I have to agree on his point on Malaysian car compare to SG Car. Not on the staring issues but more on speeding tickets or theft
I used to drive from SG to Penang and back on the same day. I switched to my Malaysian car at my JB factory . I would be driving at about 200 km/h om average. Many times I got tickets from the Traffice Police but never once I pay any bribes or being offered one. Just take the ticket and pay it at the police station. You will get a discount when you asked one at the counter. Everything legal and nothing dodgy. Anyway I do hold Malaysian Driving License too. Just to make it proper.
SG car is an easy target for theft in Malaysia.
SG to Penang will take me about 5 hrs on average
SG to KL 2 hours pn average
Please do not take this as an approval to speed, just sharing my past experiences working and living in Malaysia
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:11 am

Mad Scientist wrote:To be fair to chipmunk, ...

Who me ?? :)

Well, did you drive a Honda Stream MPV ?

I was once on the NS-Highway, in a friend's Cayenne Turbo, and my friend thought he was doing great, at more than 150 plus, when he was overtaken by a Singapore plate Stream - that guy must have been doing close to 180 .. I wonder if it was you .. That was close to 2 AM ...

I always wondered what was the max speed in a Stream ..

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:20 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sorry, I just couldn't help it! :P

It took a while to figure out what I did wrong .. LOL

I gotta watch my wary

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:26 am

the lynx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:1) This is what my initial searchs brought me too, sounds like fun for a night. I think my daughter would love the Ostrich farm we saw photos of near there.
2) On the list!

MS has given good pointers for interesting places for your family. Just to add, you can pay a visit to KLCC and check out the shopping mall, the twin towers and the outdoor water playground.

Oh? Not sure what did you do there but I went around the farms, forests and the hillside area riding pillion on a Honda Star. The town is a sad case, actually. It was the views of the flowers, farms etc that I was comparing Cameron to Dalat.

I can only rave about Ipoh for food :P It is well-known for Cantonese food, just for you to know.

... And I just realised I numbered 5 TWICE :P

If you drive based on MS's estimation, you will arrive Penang twice the time to KL (8 to 9 hours, depending on break). Flight will take you about 1 hour 15 min.

You may wanna drive because public transportation in Malaysia is poor. If you can lose your head going around in MRT/buses here, you will lose your soul there. Parking is also another inconvenience actually but taxis won't help you either (they still try to skip using the meter). Just be a devil when you drive in Malaysia.

Another option is to take a flight and rent a car.

7) Will research.

Have you been to Giant in IMM here? Then imagine all Tesco outlets in Malaysia two notch lower...

Yeah, for Da Lat I went with my wife two years ago... We didn't have a car, but a taxi drive quickly offered to "take us everywhere" for about US $40. He took us to every tourist trap within 30 minutes, and it seemed to be a set standard itinerary most tourists were put on. The flowers and such were OK... Did the elephant ride and all of that stuff. I think the most fun I had was the night market and buying the snake wine for about $5 when it cost $60 in Hanoi :D The town was real sad, especially since the lake was drained while we were there. I'm not sure if that was seasonal, or due to a bridge they were building right in the center of town. But all of the "water front" cafes looked really pathetic up on wood pylons in a sea of tall grass, with the random 'swan' boats sitting there.

I've been to Giant at PP. Same thing? I consider Giant like an old K-Mart or Walmart in a run down neighborhood in the US... Definitely not somewhere I'd go if I could avoid it!

Public trans sounds like the US, and the bribery with the police basically make Malaysia sound like Vietnam. I'd probably drive the speed limit and be careful, and not bribe!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 11:26 am

ecureilx wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:To be fair to chipmunk, ...

Who me ?? :)

Well, did you drive a Honda Stream MPV ?

I was once on the NS-Highway, in a friend's Cayenne Turbo, and my friend thought he was doing great, at more than 150 plus, when he was overtaken by a Singapore plate Stream - that guy must have been doing close to 180 .. I wonder if it was you .. That was close to 2 AM ...

I always wondered what was the max speed in a Stream ..

On a CRV max due to speedometer limitation , I did about 180 km per hr
On a XC90, yeah, 200 no worries but the bloody car is guzzler!