Singapore Expats

Job hunting from JB ?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Tony588

Job hunting from JB ?

Post by Tony588 » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 10:09 am

Hello :)

I am a 27 yo french guy actually working in Manila. I am planning to seek for a job in Singapore with a 3 months tourist visa. I would like to know if it is possible to stay in Johor bohor while looking for a job in Singapore. The main reason is that Johor Bahru short term apartments seems 3 times cheaper than Singapore ones :)

1/ Do you recommand staying 3 months in Johor bahru for job hunting in Singapore ?
2/ Would it be a problem with immigration if I go to singapore every 3 days from Johor Bahru ?
3/ Would a singapore mobile phone number still works in Johor Bahur ? Or should recruiters use international code to reach me ?
4/ I heard Malaysia is one of the top 15 safest country in the world. Is Johor Bahru safe ? Of couse not comparing to Singapore but rather to Kuala Lampur, Manila or Paris/London.

Thanks by advance for your help !

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Job hunting from JB ?

Post by the lynx » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 11:57 am

Tony588 wrote:Hello :)

I am a 27 yo french guy actually working in Manila. I am planning to seek for a job in Singapore with a 3 months tourist visa. I would like to know if it is possible to stay in Johor bohor while looking for a job in Singapore.

Yes it is possible. But only for a short period of time and only for limited frequency.

The main reason is that Johor Bahru short term apartments seems 3 times cheaper than Singapore ones :)

True to that also.

1/ Do you recommand staying 3 months in Johor bahru for job hunting in Singapore ?

It is possible. Refer to my first line of answer.

2/ Would it be a problem with immigration if I go to singapore every 3 days from Johor Bahru ?

For first few rounds, no. But I think the ICA will be suspicious once your pattern/frequency builds up. Try not to do it too often and only travel when you need to.

3/ Would a singapore mobile phone number still works in Johor Bahur ? Or should recruiters use international code to reach me ?

Yes but with roaming charges. Recruiters can use international code if they really want you badly enough to bust their own international call charges. To deter them from hesitating, I still suggest using Singapore mobile phone number. After all, the charges only apply when they call you. Otherwise provide both Malaysia and Singapore numbers to give them options. If you are lucky, they are happy with just e-mails.

4/ I heard Malaysia is one of the top 15 safest country in the world. Is Johor Bahru safe ? Of couse not comparing to Singapore but rather to Kuala Lampur, Manila or Paris/London.

Seriously? Show me your source of info and I will show you my own source of statistics :P Maybe safer than Manila (from friends' word of mouth) but just as bad as KL. Never been to Paris/London so I have no comment. Rule of the thumb: Never stand out, never appear to be an easy target.

Thanks by advance for your help !

Tony588

Post by Tony588 » Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:55 pm

Thank you :)

Sorry I don't get the reply on the phone question. I was wondering if they have to dial an international code to reach my singapore number when I am in Johor Bahru. Because I plan to tell them I am in Singapore on my resume.

Regarding the safety question. My source is below.
http://www.visionofhumanity.org/gpi-data/#/2011/scor
But it is strange because malaysia is better ranked than Singapore and Taiwan :?

What is the safest area of Johor Bahru ?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 1:14 pm

Tony588 wrote:Thank you :)

Sorry I don't get the reply on the phone question. I was wondering if they have to dial an international code to reach my singapore number when I am in Johor Bahru. Because I plan to tell them I am in Singapore on my resume.

They will find out eventually because with or without international code, the different dialing tone will give you away, even though they are trying to reach you using Singapore number while you are in Malaysia (Malaysia has different dialing tone).

Regarding the safety question. My source is below.
http://www.visionofhumanity.org/gpi-data/#/2011/scor
But it is strange because malaysia is better ranked than Singapore and Taiwan :?

I am utterly surprised but the survey. I looked up the indicators used to rank the countries. Singapore and Malaysia do share a lot of common policies in terms of weapons possession, demonstrations etc.

But from my personal opinion and experience, as well as established notion among Malaysians and Singaporeans themselves, Malaysia is definitely behind Singapore in terms of peace and security. Crime rates are way higher and protection from law enforcement officers is not guaranteed. In Singapore, you can be very sure of these two (low crime rate and immediate response from law enforcement officers)

What is the safest area of Johor Bahru ?

I cannot vouch any answer I can think of for this question. Perhaps Skudai?