Singapore Expats

IELTS required for EP?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Enzali

IELTS required for EP?

Post by Enzali » Sun, 11 Mar 2012 9:30 pm

Is EILTS a requirement to work in Singapore? Also is it required for social/visit or student visa?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 11 Mar 2012 9:55 pm

Have you tried looking at the MOM and ICA websites for information?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Sun, 11 Mar 2012 10:52 pm

It all depends on the company who intends to hire you, they can opt to see your IELTS/TOEFL as a proof of your English proficiency. And they can opt not to see.

Nevertheless, MOM wants to see all of your qualification certs in English (if these are in your native language other than English).

And yes, same thing applies for student visa but your tertiary education institutes here DEFINITELY want to see those before they can even consider having you as a student in the first place.

Please look up specific websites of the tertiary education institutes for further information on requirements. And remember, you must take GRE and use the results to apply for placement in those places as well (judging from your nationality).

Enzali

Post by Enzali » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 3:56 am

the lynx wrote:It all depends on the company who intends to hire you, they can opt to see your IELTS/TOEFL as a proof of your English proficiency. And they can opt not to see.

Nevertheless, MOM wants to see all of your qualification certs in English (if these are in your native language other than English).
I will be coming there on EP basically, and your answer tells me that if my particular company doesn't specifically need to see IELTS cert, there is no requirement imposed by MOM for the issuance of EP, am I right?

@nakatago Yes bro, i checked everywhere, but there is apparently no information regarding this, I checked the whole MOM site, and there was nothing mentioned about IELTS/TOEFL there, which made me keep guessing about this issue. That`s why I came here, and asked for a clear answer from expats who are already living in SG.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 5:24 am

Enzali wrote:
the lynx wrote:It all depends on the company who intends to hire you, they can opt to see your IELTS/TOEFL as a proof of your English proficiency. And they can opt not to see.

I will be coming there on EP basically, and your answer tells me that if my particular company doesn't specifically need to see IELTS cert, there is no requirement imposed by MOM for the issuance of EP, am I right?

@nakatago Yes bro, i checked everywhere, but there is apparently no information regarding this, I checked the whole MOM site, and there was nothing mentioned about IELTS/TOEFL there, which made me keep guessing about this issue. That`s why I came here, and asked for a clear answer from expats who are already living in SG.

MoM site also does not have anything about having to have a short haircut before you arrive. However hard you look, you will find nothing.

I wonder why that is.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 8:53 am

Enzali wrote:

I will be coming there on EP basically, and your answer tells me that if my particular company doesn't specifically need to see IELTS cert, there is no requirement imposed by MOM for the issuance of EP, am I right
In verbatim, yes MOM does not state specifically that IELTS/TOEFL is a requirement.

On similar note, I must emphasise that in the current landscape of foreign employment here, things have not been sunny for those who are interested to work in Singapore. So MOM has the luxury to CHOOSE who they wish to APPROVE to work in Singapore.

The reason I am saying this is so that you won't be misled into thinking that just because IELTS/TOEFL is not required by MOM for consideration for approval, that doesn't mean the road is clear and that approval is guaranteed. Many people have been expressing frustration all over the place as the number of rejections is sky-rocketing because they all assume that their approval is granted/confirmed/guaranteed just by passing the minimum requirements alone. Most aspiring applicants do not understand the socio-political situation at the moment and its direct impact on foreign employment, and clearly, they have not understood MOM enough.

Think of this as me trying to help you to cushion that fall which you may or may not experience.

Good luck.
Last edited by the lynx on Mon, 12 Mar 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 9:21 am

Nice response Lynx! +1
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers