Singapore Expats

where I can get a Personal Locator Beacon in Singapore?

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 11:23 pm

I guess the 4' EPIRBs we used on the ships would be a little large for your requirements ;)

But according to their website you can get mcmurdo PLBs at the following two outlets:

Can Traders And Services Pte Ltd.address: No 61, Kakai Bukit Ave 1,
#5-50
Shun Li Industrial Park

tel: 00 65 68418338
email: [email protected]
web: www.cantrade.com.sg

Rico (Pte) Ltdaddress: 17 Loyang Lane

Singapore

tel: 00 65 67458472
email: [email protected]
web: www.rico.com.sg

zakdave

Post by zakdave » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 11:44 pm

Thanks to jeremyssm and curiousgeorge for the valuable information. I will contact the companies. As a matter of fact, I am only looking for a particular brand which is kannad plb. Nevertheless I will post the prices if anyone is interested.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 11:46 pm

zakdave wrote:Thanks to jeremyssm and curiousgeorge for the valuable information. I will contact the companies. As a matter of fact, I am only looking for a particular brand which is kannad plb. Nevertheless I will post the prices if anyone is interested.
Google it. It's easy to find.

No need to post results, the Mods might start to think you're promoting the product.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 7:00 am

zakdave wrote:I was hoping that anyone here knows where I can get a decent Personal Locator Beacon in Singapore?
zakdave wrote:I am only looking for a particular brand which is kannad plb
Methinks zakdave is an advertiser trying to slip one to us through the back door.

tic...toc...tic...toc...

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 8:37 am

zakdave wrote: As a matter of fact, I am only looking for a particular brand which is kannad plb. Nevertheless I will post the prices if anyone is interested.
Then you are a fool.

The Kanna XS4-PLE and the McMurodo FastFind PLB 210 are exactly the same device but with different name decals on.

They are both products of Orolia, where Kanna is the French distro name and McMurdo is the US distro name.

McMurdo has distributors in Singapore, whereas according to their website Kanna doesn't.

Surely that is a no-brainer?!?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 8:59 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
zakdave wrote:I was hoping that anyone here knows where I can get a decent Personal Locator Beacon in Singapore?
zakdave wrote:I am only looking for a particular brand which is kannad plb
Methinks zakdave is an advertiser trying to slip one to us through the back door.

tic...toc...tic...toc...

Nuke it. From space. It's the only way to be sure.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 9:16 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Hey squirrel, your smart Alec "So how does THAT work" reply didn't fly that time did it. :P
Well, I know the logistics of the EPIRB and the process. As well as the registration process.. because a visiting dignitary from USAID was relieved of his PLB in one of the bases, back home, simply because he like having his one hand on the locator (it was Bluesky I think .. ) and maybe he was thinking that the US SF will do a OBL like raid to rescue him, if things hit the ceiling ..

I am still miffed at the 30 minutes response / pick up of the Malaysian Coast guard, and again, HOW DID THAT WORK ??? Did they send a UFO or those super-copters ? or one of those amphibs in their fleet ?

Unless our friend was just lost a few feet away from the shore .. in plain visibility of land lubbers .. :)

Anyway, don't wanna hijack this thread though ..

zakdave

Post by zakdave » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 3:39 pm

This is totally outrageous!! Anyway I've gotten what I need. Please close this thread. Thank you!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 3:54 pm

What is outrageous? The idea that you were trying to pull a slick advertising move or that our readers figured you out already? :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers