Singapore Expats

My American English for Your Bahasa Indonesia

Want to learn a new language? Find someone who can help here.
Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Fri, 07 Sep 2012 11:39 am

Why do you fear of losing money? You're paying something and you gain something else in return. It's only a question of whether it's worth it or not for yourself to do so. And even if it's free, you're already paying something for it, by giving it your time.

It's not a rhetorical question that I'm asking, so please answer. I just want to understand more from the other side of the story, the "kiasu" people. And please be as logical as possible.

Understanding more from both sides of the story, the good, and the bad, is kinda my thing. It's the only way we can reach understanding, the only way we can live in harmony. Aaaaand there I go with a life philosophy...preaching again...sheesh... :P
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Fri, 07 Sep 2012 11:51 am

Akimbo wrote:Why do you fear of losing money? You're paying something and you gain something else in return. It's only a question of whether it's worth it or not for you to do so.

It's not a rhetorical question, that I'm asking, so please answer. I just want to understand more from the other side of the story, the "kiasu" people. And please be as logical as possible.
Well, it's not like I'm always into the free stuff.

On some occasions, I will pay cause I really want to see it. Like, for example, during the art festival, I buy the ticket to watch Wind Up Bird Chronicle performance (I'm curious how they "translate" the Haruki Murakami style into the stage). Or for the Mummy installation back then in National Museum. A big urge to see it no matter what. So I paid for it. Or paid the entrance fee to see the infinte pool at MBS. Good for taking landscape photos :D

Again, the term kiasu (from what I understand), is simply like "free? why not?" or "discount? why not?"

I apologize if you feel annoyed with it, and I'll stop :)
"Budget Expat"

immortalexplorer

Post by immortalexplorer » Fri, 07 Sep 2012 9:23 pm

Saturday 1pm at Dhoby Ghaut? Food court lunch.
Interested people may send me a PM for details.
ACM afterwards?

NicRod

Hello

Post by NicRod » Sat, 08 Sep 2012 12:33 am

Hi,

Im Indonesian too. Count me in for any gathering.

Hope to see you guys very soon.

Cheers,

Nic

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Sat, 08 Sep 2012 12:38 am

immortalexplorer wrote:Saturday 1pm at Dhoby Ghaut? Food court lunch.
Interested people may send me a PM for details.
ACM afterwards?
Up up :D
"Budget Expat"

immortalexplorer

Post by immortalexplorer » Sat, 08 Sep 2012 9:56 am

Hi v4jr4,

Already replied to your PM. Please give me your mobile number so that I can contact you today :)

See you at Dhoby Ghaut at 1pm

ngad0003
Regular
Regular

Post by ngad0003 » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 10:15 am

immortalexplorer wrote:Yes I'm still looking for Indo friends (group).

Maaf gue ga mencari weekend lover. I am not the one you are looking for but I do hope you will eventually find that person.

:lol: unyu.... eh lucu tapi jitu gitu lho

ngad0003
Regular
Regular

Indonesian Food Bazaar

Post by ngad0003 » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 2:30 pm

Hello semuanya,

KBRI mengadakan acara Panggung Gembira hari Minggu tanggal 16 Sep 2012 jam 10-16. Ada bazaar masakan asli Indonesia + minuman dll.

Ini emailnya dari IndoSing : (bukan iklan)

Hi All,

Buat yang sudah ada niatan untuk datang ke acara panggung gembira KBRI sila mampir ke stall kami:
Menu komplit buat acara ini adalah:

1. Siomay Bandung Komplit ala Balestier
2. Gudeg Komplit with Krecek dan Opor Ayam
3. Arem2 Jumbo
4. Sate Ayam by Om Muda Ikhsan - dulu terkenal dgn nama Sate Moonstone

* Untuk yang sudah pernah datang dan nyicipin sepertinya sudah paham
soal rasa dan harga - PAS DI LIDAH, PAS DI KANTONG en PASTI ABISSSS :)
* Untuk yang belum silahkan datang en coba menu spesial kami yang cuma ada di acara tahunan ini :)

Sate Lilit, Ayam Taliwang dan Ayam Betutu

https://twitter.com/kbrisingapura/statu ... 84/photo/1

Untuk Panggung Gembira KBRI Singapura 16 Sept 2012, jangan lupa bawa

Identitas Indonesia (Paspor, KTP, SIM, work permit) anda.

Ayo datang semuanya !

mars2008

Post by mars2008 » Sat, 15 Sep 2012 3:08 pm

hi,please count me in too for the gathering.
please contact me at [email protected].
ngomong2 ini biasa kalo ketemuan ngapain aja?belajar bahasa indo y?

lis23

Post by lis23 » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:31 am

Hi.. I'm from Indonesia too, just came here. And I know it's kind of late.. But, if there's still gathering, let me know. I would like to meet new people and share our languages. :) mail me here [email protected]

ngad0003
Regular
Regular

ketemuan

Post by ngad0003 » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 2:16 pm

mars2008 wrote:hi,please count me in too for the gathering.
please contact me at [email protected].
ngomong2 ini biasa kalo ketemuan ngapain aja?belajar bahasa indo y?
yuk yuk ketemuan yuk

ntar gw bawa ke acara gathering ama expats

gw bukan organizer nya tapi ada suatu organisasi namanya inter nations.

ketemuan yuk di sana, ntar kalo pas ada gathering (biasanya Jumat malam atau sabtu malam) gw posting / email, wajib datang yak utk pertama kalinya.

ada juga dress code nya biasanya smart casual. Entry fee for non member $ 25, kalo basic member $ 20. Duitnya gak ama gw, gw sendiri juga bayar pas mau masuk.

ntar deh gw posting lagi kabar selanjutnya

yg pasti kumpul di event yg jarang orang Indo-nya tapi kita ngomong Indo di situ kan SERU !

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 3:52 pm

If you're only talking Bahasa in an international event, and you're only mingling with your own cohorts, then it beats the purpose of going to an international event in the first place, bub...

Problem is, usually people only wants to mingle with their own group, and any new people will somehow be shunned...we (the new people) are just shy, and we don't know ho w to behave yet, that's why it's up to the bigger group to extend a friendly hand and welcome the new person in.

Too bad it's really hard to find such a good group...that's why I just make my own...and welcome the new people in. :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anywho, I do know that there is a Meetup.com event this Friday, and if you guys wants to join I think they're still opening up the invite...cause it's not open for public (they say)

I already RSVPed, but now I'm having second thoughts, cause I think it's not gonna be that much fun...I am alone and all, and I don't know whether the host will involve the newcomers that well or not...
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

Ms_Riley

Post by Ms_Riley » Wed, 21 Nov 2012 6:22 pm

hi :)
another indonesian here.. please count me in whenever there's a gathering or a meet up [email protected]

terima kasih :)

jinshang

Post by jinshang » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 10:44 am

Do you guys still hang out. I do not min honing my english if you guys still have meet ups in your plan. I am looking to learn Chinese and maintaining my English.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 11:34 am

Actually, no.

Truth be told, it's been awhile since I last met immortalexplorer, but I did meet v4jr4 for the island trip I organized a few weeks back and a few more times I think before that.

As for the rest...nope, never saw them, never hung out with them, prolly because I've never organized anything where I specifically asked them in.

I always make a public (forum) invite for my events...it's up to the forum people whether they want to come or not...