Singapore Expats

EP for 2nd Gen ex-PR, renounced by parents at age 13 in 2002

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 5:03 pm

Congratulations. It is good to have update from you. Now this thread will serve as guideline to other ex-second PR generation to refer to.

Hope you enjoy working :)

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Sat, 17 Mar 2012 1:20 pm

zzm9980 wrote:I will say that your parents sound like they're taking advantage of the system in every country they come to. Singapore PR , then Canada, then UK, all in ~10 years? Where are you from originally? I'm going to guess India. (don't take offense, everyone in Singapore stereotypes, so get used to it :P)

Be aware that even without NS trouble, you will have a hard time with the EP approval unless you possess some extra special skills that locals don't have. The way MOM usually determines that is by your resume/CV (which will be short at your age) and the starting base salary of the position. (You'll want a lot more than $3k/month to make a good impression on them). Also, if you are Indian, that will count against you as they have a population imbalance to fix.
Population imbalance is considered only for PR/SC applications and not for EP applications.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Sat, 17 Mar 2012 1:25 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Nothing to justify. What kind of role is the position for? The good marks in school won't help, and I don't believe MOM asks anything other than where you graduated. Not grades. The salary is a bit low for Singapore, so you won't qualify for P1 or P2 passes. That makes it an uphill battle for you, unless the position you're applying for is quite niche and in demand. If it's a rather generic administrative or engineering position, the lack of prior unique experience may hurt.

Never know until you try though. I'd be happy for you to prove me wrong, as it sounds like you have indeed been trying hard and done rather well for yourself so far. Keep in mind the cynicism is mostly due to people posting similar questions to yourself but very thinly veiled that they ARE generally milking the system. And not to discriminate against Indians, but it really truly almost is 100% Indians trying such schemes. Asking how to keep their PR or renew their PR while they've already moved to Australia, but want to keep their HDB (subsidized housing) so they can rent it out and such.
Everyone in this world trys to milk the system. Only difference is Americans and Europeans milk their own system. We just milk everyone elses system :P

Its just that the degree of milking differs and greed has a major part to play and greed is not limited to Indians. See house rentals here. Aren't the locals milking us?

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 17 Mar 2012 1:54 pm

revhappy wrote:Population imbalance is considered only for PR/SC applications and not for EP applications.
Is that really true?
MS, do you concur?
I'm just curious about this, no other motive for asking.
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 17 Mar 2012 2:21 pm

Tis true. Any time they want to reduce the Indian population amongst EP/WP holders is just not renew them at expiration time. Simple control procedures. The key is in the fact that the criteria is the minimum required "for consideration". Still doesn't say they have to give it to you. We've already been seeing a number of cases here like that and not just Indians.

Getting rid of PR's is a little harder as they are stuck at 5 year intervals. However, if a PR never leave the country, they don't need a REP anyway. I did without an REP for 15 months between 2004 & 2005. Again, they have NO legal requirement to renew an REP either. If they want to, they can just not renew it. Citizens, however, are another problem.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 17 Mar 2012 4:09 pm

Interesting; thanks SMS. I'd just assumed that with all the anti-foreigner vitriol of the past year or so (with some groups more in the public's focus than others), the applicant's origin would have had some bearing on their chances of a successful EP outcome, all other things being equal. Not saying I'd agree with such a practice (meritocracy being preferable IMO), just wondering about the realities of the situation.
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 17 Mar 2012 4:22 pm

Thhere is the solution. The demographics are the numbers of 'residents'
, not the entire population on the little red dot. That's the whole purpose behind employment passes, it gives government the temporary workforce they require with adding to the resident population.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 17 Mar 2012 6:10 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
revhappy wrote:Population imbalance is considered only for PR/SC applications and not for EP applications.
Is that really true?
MS, do you concur?
Yes and No.
The imbalance is multi-facet. Yes it affect only the PR and Sger but those on LTSVP and EP Holder affect the socio-economic , security, religion and integration into the local environment. If you look at just the population aspect , yes but the population aspect will affect the socio economic, security and even to some extent defence.

This is from the white paper studied before

Singapore has enjoyed virtually full employment for long periods of time. In tandem with the global economic crisis and the economy’s contraction, resident unemployment reached as high as 4.9%. However, the overall and resident unemployment rates dipped to 2.0% and 2.9%, respectively, by the end of September 2011 due to the Singapore Government’s job-saving measures and a gradually improving global economy. Some of Singapore's unemployment is attributable to structural changes in the economy, as low-skill manufacturing operations have moved overseas. Since 1990, the number of foreign workers in Singapore has increased rapidly, helping meet some labor shortages. Foreign workers comprise 35.8% of the labor force; the great majority of these are unskilled workers.

http://elibrary.worldbank.org/docserver ... 09EFCFAC52
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 17 Mar 2012 6:55 pm

I've always had a problem with that white paper as there is structural unemployment in those figures that cannot be used as, while they would like to work, they are forbidden to work. That is those people on Dependent's passes and LTVP's. Most of them are attached to Employment Pass holders, who by definition, shouldn't even be counted as if they have no job they are no longer resident but on social visit passes as are the Dependents or LTVPs. The are not employed by decree of the government, not because they cannot find a job.

But we all know that the government fiddles with all the stats so they say what they want it to say. That why after every quarter the GDP figures are adjusted downwards (I've never seen them adjusted upwards after a quarter yet.). They like to blow smoke up everybody's arse.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 17 Mar 2012 6:56 pm

Oh, one other thing, The 2% will always remain and will get larger as time goes by as these people are part of structural unemployment and or greying population where employers wont hire them. Again, they want to work, but no jobs. How?

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Sat, 17 Mar 2012 10:43 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
Is that really true?
MS, do you concur?
If you heard PM Lee's national day speech last year you would know. He clearly mentioned FTs are needed on a temporary basis to fill the gaps and they will get them as long as they need them, albeit reduced numbers. Its only PRs and SCs applications that, they will be more choosy on.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 18 Mar 2012 4:02 pm

revhappy wrote:
Mi Amigo wrote:
Is that really true?
MS, do you concur?
If you heard PM Lee's national day speech last year you would know. He clearly mentioned FTs are needed on a temporary basis to fill the gaps and they will get them as long as they need them, albeit reduced numbers. Its only PRs and SCs applications that, they will be more choosy on.
The day when one believes all the words that has been said by politician will be the day when it will leads to the demise of the country.

One thing I learned from living in many parts of the world.
Politician can give and can take back what they promise
If the politician needs to sell his or her own mother , they will do so
They can stoop very low just to gain your confidence and can be very pretentious when all the sh*t starts flying across the board
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 6:19 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
revhappy wrote:
Mi Amigo wrote: Is that really true?
MS, do you concur?
The day when one believes all the words that has been said by politician will be the day when it will leads to the demise of the country.

One thing I learned from living in many parts of the world.
Politician can give and can take back what they promise
If the politician needs to sell his or her own mother , they will do so
They can stoop very low just to gain your confidence and can be very pretentious when all the sh*t starts flying across the board
Agree with that, but relative to most other countries this country keeps more promises than breaks and if there one country in this entire world that is least foreigner un-friendly, it has to be this. :) So I would imagine even if they err, they would err towards being lax at foreigners rather than the other way round ;)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 8:14 pm

Been here how long, revhappy? And still that naive? [-X

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:22 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Been here how long, revhappy? And still that naive? [-X
3 years this june end. How fast time has passed. When I was asking all those stupid questions on this forum before getting here, if I knew I would last this long, I would have been really glad and relieved :)