Singapore Expats Forum

EP for 2nd Gen ex-PR, renounced by parents at age 13 in 2002

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
bjsabug89
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 03 Mar 2012

EP for 2nd Gen ex-PR, renounced by parents at age 13 in 2002

Postby bjsabug89 » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 3:48 am

Hi,

Here is the situation.

1) My parents came to Singapore and gained PR status and applied one for me too.
2) My parents renounced their PR, along with mine and left in 2002 to emigrate to Canada. I was 13 years old.
3) Since then, we moved to the UK and gained british nationality.
4) I recently got a job offer from a french company in Singapore, who are applying for my Employment Pass, which will take up to 2 months. I am now 23 years old.

Will there be any employment pass issues in returning ex-PRs who did not serve NS (as my parents renounced my PR status when I was at a young age)?

Would like your good advice on these matters.

Thank you

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 5:05 am

IMHO , I would not think so since at that given age you have already left SG
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

bjsabug89
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 03 Mar 2012

Postby bjsabug89 » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 5:13 am

Mad Scientist wrote:IMHO , I would not think so since at that given age you have already left SG


Thanks for the quick response. Kinda worried lately about the EP rejections I read in most of the posts in these forums.

I have spoken to MOM, ICA and CPMB.

MOM replied = as long as you meet the requirements, salary >3K and good degree qualifications ( I got 1st class hounours BSc (Hons) from University College London) and They don't deal with NS matters

ICA = ex-PRs can work and live in SG as long as meet the abovementioned items

CPMB = They said I am not liable for NS obligations as I renounced my PR status in the proper channels and when I was at a relatively young age.

BTW, sorry for the multiple posts. I'm new to these forums ( my 1st time actually). Just needed urgent and quick opinions from people.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 5:46 am

You have replies from ICA , MOM and CMPB. Not good enough ?

To gain EP is a two part process

1. You skills is not readily available from the local pools and you have met all the necessary requirement

2. Your employer must justify this inavailability of local talent to MOM

Your employer can employ you but it is MOM that issues the pass. Capisce?

New to the forum does not mean , you can multiple post. With your high IQ, you should know this. We are all volunteers and replies may take sometime.
We do not owe to anybody anything , Just a helping hand or pointing to the correct direction.
THIS TAKES TIME. SO just join the queue and you will be serve
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

bjsabug89
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 03 Mar 2012

Postby bjsabug89 » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 5:53 am

Mad Scientist wrote:You have replies from ICA , MOM and CMPB. Not good enough ?

To gain EP is a two part process

1. You skills is not readily available from the local pools and you have met all the necessary requirement

2. Your employer must justify this inavailability of local talent to MOM

Your employer can employ you but it is MOM that issues the pass. Capisce?

New to the forum does not mean , you can multiple post. With your high IQ, you should know this. We are all volunteers and replies may take sometime.
We do not owe to anybody anything , Just a helping hand or pointing to the correct direction.
THIS TAKES TIME. SO just join the queue and you will be serve


Fairplay, patience is a virtue as they say.

Fully understood your advice. Have you ever encountered anyone with the same case as mine and had their EP approved?

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 8:31 am

I will say that your parents sound like they're taking advantage of the system in every country they come to. Singapore PR , then Canada, then UK, all in ~10 years? Where are you from originally? I'm going to guess India. (don't take offense, everyone in Singapore stereotypes, so get used to it :P)

Be aware that even without NS trouble, you will have a hard time with the EP approval unless you possess some extra special skills that locals don't have. The way MOM usually determines that is by your resume/CV (which will be short at your age) and the starting base salary of the position. (You'll want a lot more than $3k/month to make a good impression on them). Also, if you are Indian, that will count against you as they have a population imbalance to fix.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 8:44 am

zzm9980 wrote:I will say that your parents sound like they're taking advantage of the system in every country they come to. Singapore PR , then Canada, then UK, all in ~10 years? Where are you from originally? I'm going to guess India. (don't take offense, everyone in Singapore stereotypes, so get used to it :P)


And Canada is used as an attempted stepping stone to getting a US Green Card, esp for Indians working in IT. So wouldn't surprise me if said family tried to get into the US, got bounced, hence went to UK instead...


But then I'm just a grumpy old cynic...

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 8:53 am

JR8 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:I will say that your parents sound like they're taking advantage of the system in every country they come to. Singapore PR , then Canada, then UK, all in ~10 years? Where are you from originally? I'm going to guess India. (don't take offense, everyone in Singapore stereotypes, so get used to it :P)


And Canada is used as an attempted stepping stone to getting a US Green Card, esp for Indians working in IT. So wouldn't surprise me if said family tried to get into the US, got bounced, hence went to UK instead...


But then I'm just a grumpy old cynic...


Cynism aside, none of it really matters much for this guy. Since it sounds like he's young, he'll have a rough time on an employment pass on its own merits unless he's got some amazing experience that the locals won't have.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 8:57 am

zzm9980 wrote:Cynism aside, none of it really matters much for this guy. Since it sounds like he's young, he'll have a rough time on an employment pass on its own merits unless he's got some amazing experience that the locals won't have.


I used to hire into the IT/Project Management sphere when I was in the US. We saw these patterns, and we made judgments upon them. So it is not simply bald cynicism...

bjsabug89
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 03 Mar 2012

Postby bjsabug89 » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 2:07 pm

zzm9980 wrote:I will say that your parents sound like they're taking advantage of the system in every country they come to. Singapore PR , then Canada, then UK, all in ~10 years? Where are you from originally? I'm going to guess India. (don't take offense, everyone in Singapore stereotypes, so get used to it :P)

Be aware that even without NS trouble, you will have a hard time with the EP approval unless you possess some extra special skills that locals don't have. The way MOM usually determines that is by your resume/CV (which will be short at your age) and the starting base salary of the position. (You'll want a lot more than $3k/month to make a good impression on them). Also, if you are Indian, that will count against you as they have a population imbalance to fix.


I'm not indian, so I won't have a problem with the racial population quota. Me and my mom migrated to Canada in search for a better life and my dad went straight to the UK for work. But after a year, it didn't quite work out so we decided to rejoin my dad in London. Eventually, we settled and became citizens. We are not abusing a system, we have contributed a lot to each country we migrated to. Being engineers, we were involved in Fullerton Hotel, Hospitals, schools and residential buildings in the UK. We paid our taxes unlike those seeking asylum and getting benefits from the govt.

I graduated with 1st class honours (summa cum laude) from University College London (one of the top elite uni in the world), so my qualification speaks volumes. I have only 1 and a half years experience. The offer is $3300, which I understand to be less than what I would have offered in the UK - the reason why I chose to work in Singapore is that I love the country, people, culture and lifestyle.

Does that justify your notion?

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 2:27 pm

Nothing to justify. What kind of role is the position for? The good marks in school won't help, and I don't believe MOM asks anything other than where you graduated. Not grades. The salary is a bit low for Singapore, so you won't qualify for P1 or P2 passes. That makes it an uphill battle for you, unless the position you're applying for is quite niche and in demand. If it's a rather generic administrative or engineering position, the lack of prior unique experience may hurt.

Never know until you try though. I'd be happy for you to prove me wrong, as it sounds like you have indeed been trying hard and done rather well for yourself so far. Keep in mind the cynicism is mostly due to people posting similar questions to yourself but very thinly veiled that they ARE generally milking the system. And not to discriminate against Indians, but it really truly almost is 100% Indians trying such schemes. Asking how to keep their PR or renew their PR while they've already moved to Australia, but want to keep their HDB (subsidized housing) so they can rent it out and such.

bjsabug89
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 03 Mar 2012

Postby bjsabug89 » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 2:44 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Nothing to justify. What kind of role is the position for? The good marks in school won't help, and I don't believe MOM asks anything other than where you graduated. Not grades. The salary is a bit low for Singapore, so you won't qualify for P1 or P2 passes. That makes it an uphill battle for you, unless the position you're applying for is quite niche and in demand. If it's a rather generic administrative or engineering position, the lack of prior unique experience may hurt.

Never know until you try though. I'd be happy for you to prove me wrong, as it sounds like you have indeed been trying hard and done rather well for yourself so far. Keep in mind the cynicism is mostly due to people posting similar questions to yourself but very thinly veiled that they ARE generally milking the system. And not to discriminate against Indians, but it really truly almost is 100% Indians trying such schemes. Asking how to keep their PR or renew their PR while they've already moved to Australia, but want to keep their HDB (subsidized housing) so they can rent it out and such.


Would it help if the company I'll be working for is one of the top construction companies in the world? The position offered is Site Engineer for the Singapore Sportshub project. So far, I have 1.5 years experience working in Qatar for a multibillion project. It may be a generic role but for a top company with a strong reputation in Singapore (been established in SG since the 1990s).

Thanks for the advice. I will keep my fingers crossed hoping that they approve me. The juxtaposition against local talent or young grads worries me but I do think I have a slight edge due to my qualification. In terms of job position, it might create an issue but I hope they consider the fact that a top company wants to employ me.

I am really trying to enlighten myself as I genuinely want this second chance to be back in SG. I wounldn't mind being a PR again and undertake the mandatory NS obligations, which I believe to be fun and a unique experience.

I'll be praying. Thanks zzm9980

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 2:46 pm

Good luck and keep us up to date.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 7:11 pm

To answer your earlier questions, yes , I have seen it all but niche skills or CEOs of companies
What I am puzzled is your skills and educations does not match the pay and your position you are applying. You will be hardpress to justify that or should I say your future employer, to convince MOM.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

bjsabug89
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 03 Mar 2012

woohoo!

Postby bjsabug89 » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 4:27 pm

Hi guys,

I got great news. My employment pass is approved.

After all these worries, good luck is really on my side.

Thanks for the advice guys


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest