Singapore Expats Forum

Blocking caller ID on phones

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

csheill
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue, 29 Jun 2010

Blocking caller ID on phones

Postby csheill » Thu, 01 Mar 2012 1:32 pm

Is it possible to block your own caller ID number when you are phoning someone in Singapore, so that they can't see who is phoning them? If so, how do you do it?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Blocking caller ID on phones

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 01 Mar 2012 1:39 pm

csheill wrote:Is it possible to block your own caller ID number when you are phoning someone in Singapore, so that they can't see who is phoning them? If so, how do you do it?


can - just ask your telco - for a fee, they do it ...

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Thu, 01 Mar 2012 1:39 pm

Your telco should be able to do that for you - at a monthly fee. Check with them for the rate.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 01 Mar 2012 2:13 pm

the lynx: who did that first ? me or you ?? :)

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Thu, 01 Mar 2012 2:22 pm

Does it matter? The time stamp's the same.

User avatar
carteki
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1237
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2008
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby carteki » Thu, 01 Mar 2012 5:26 pm

Tust the telco's to make money out of a function that you can implement through the settings feature on your phone (although it will not allow calls with the setting on though)

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 01 Mar 2012 5:30 pm

carteki wrote:Tust the telco's to make money out of a function that you can implement through the settings feature on your phone (although it will not allow calls with the setting on though)


Heck, just plain 'ole caller ID (so you can identify who's calling you) has a charge and is separate from the plans they sell you.

...but it's on on prepaid.

They nickel-and-dime here too!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 9:18 am

nakatago wrote:
carteki wrote:Tust the telco's to make money out of a function that you can implement through the settings feature on your phone (although it will not allow calls with the setting on though)


Heck, just plain 'ole caller ID (so you can identify who's calling you) has a charge and is separate from the plans they sell you.

...but it's on on prepaid.

They nickel-and-dime here too!


And also free on pre-paid: Roaming, voice mail with only a one-time activation ..

Unlike the little little things they give free, on post-paid, for 3 months and then whack you 5+5+10+10 or so .. all hidden nicely.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 9:31 am

Basically, every single little thing about telcos comes with a price tag already... :(

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 9:47 am

Nut nut can give you advice on this - he's the expert on withholding numbers and heavy breathing phonecalls!

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 2:12 pm

the lynx wrote:Basically, every single little thing about telcos comes with a price tag already... :(


See, this is the opposite of the US. They give you all of these gimmicks, then just charge absurd prices for the smallest packages with very low quotas, and huge tariffs for going over.

US$1 per international SMS, 2GB Data caps for extra US$30/month, etc.

I'll take the local telcos miserly ways over the US telco's pure greed anyday :)


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Mobile phones
    by Steve1960 » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 3:30 pm » in General Discussions
    2
    2282
    by ScoobyDoes View the latest post
    Wed, 09 Oct 2013 8:45 pm
  • Huawei Phones
    by EmilyStrangeRox » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 1:47 am » in Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics
    1
    1576
    by x9200 View the latest post
    Sun, 13 Oct 2013 7:16 am
  • smart phones and the society
    by nanana » Mon, 05 May 2014 10:32 am » in General Discussions
    31
    8313
    by Beeroclock View the latest post
    Wed, 21 May 2014 10:10 am
  • Bring or buy phones to the US?
    by NorrinRadd » Sat, 04 Jun 2016 9:37 pm » in Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics
    1
    1810
    by Strong Eagle View the latest post
    Sat, 04 Jun 2016 11:07 pm

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests