Singapore Expats

Cutting an expat package in half if the spouse gets a job?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
sanjivvohra
Regular
Regular

Post by sanjivvohra » Thu, 01 Mar 2012 4:19 pm

I guess her employers do not wnat to subsidise another firm who hires the OP on a local package.....
But this still does not make sense.

If the money is good, as olivia242 said, take a sabbatical and be the 'stay at home dad'
Sanjiv

SingLaw

Post by SingLaw » Thu, 01 Mar 2012 5:38 pm

As an American, I'm perfectly used to employees not having any rights, so that won't be much of a change.

While the sabbatical idea might be nice, we've been living in her home country in Europe for the last 3.5 years and I've only had a job here for the last .5 of it, so I would greatly prefer not to have a sabbatical. I've had enough of one. :)

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 8:45 am

Ok, so if that is the case, get a job and put up with the cut in package!

To be honest, most people in Singapore don't have packages and we all get by, I am sure they won't reduce her salary, which is the most important bit.
nutnut

olivia242

Post by olivia242 » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 9:43 am

nutnut wrote:Ok, so if that is the case, get a job and put up with the cut in package!

To be honest, most people in Singapore don't have packages and we all get by, I am sure they won't reduce her salary, which is the most important bit.
I agree, if you can get a job then just do it. Just do the maths. If you lose more in benefits than you do in salary, it may be more economical to not work.

The job market is pretty bad at the moment so if you can get something, just snap it up. Though with what appears to be a 3 year gap on your CV, good luck. You may have no choice but to have another sabbatical.

Contrary to popular belief, the streets of Asia (including Singapore) are not paved with gold.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Tue, 06 Mar 2012 2:05 pm

I think you're too negative olivia. There are opportunities here.

If you are on a DP, you need a letter of consent from her employer, by the way, to work. You need it from your prospective employer. Though - the law community is small and presumably they would find out eventually.

I think you should be able to go back to them and negotiate that out. On a DP, you will not have an easy time, at first. And, you will be very unlikely to be paid benefits etc from your new employer. What you could counter-propose is that if you get a f/t offer, and it includes benefits, then they cut the package in half. But, if it does not include benefits, the package stays.

Or, just ask them to pay more cash at the outset and no package at all. That way what you do is your own business.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 06 Mar 2012 5:45 pm

You don't need a DP and LOC, you can get an EP too! :S

If you are a lawyer, my guess is you'll be on the P1 kinda money anyway, so an EP shouldn't be difficult!

Why not work, even if you end up only slightly over evens? it's got to be more interesting than sitting around the pool with Expat mums and going for manicures :|
nutnut

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 06 Mar 2012 5:48 pm

nutnut wrote: Why not work, even if you end up only slightly over evens? it's got to be more interesting than sitting around the pool with Expat mums and going for manicures :|
Poor OP, he's a bloke

:lol: