Singapore Expats

First wedding, then baby's full month?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

First wedding, then baby's full month?

Post by the lynx » Mon, 27 Feb 2012 4:05 pm

Hey guys, remember last time I asked about how much to give for a wedding reception in other thread? http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic74951.html

Well the question is back, this time for a baby's full month celebration. I received an invitation and this is how it reads (copied and pasted - verbatim!):

"Ang bao more endeared, gift momento less preferred."

Advice?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 27 Feb 2012 4:12 pm

No idea... But is that trying to be "cute", or just really bad Singlish? :P

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Meaning

Post by joop » Mon, 27 Feb 2012 4:22 pm

Simply put it, cash please, no presents. :shock: If you are fine with it, then a red packet of anything from $60 up should be presentable enough.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 27 Feb 2012 4:26 pm

@zzm: ...which is why I copied and pasted it, and yes it is from a local friend.

@joop: Yup, I gathered that from the invitation, but I wonder how much? How does one determine the amount inside that red packet? Don't wanna unwillingly commit a faux pas among the locals :P

Edit: Thanks for the figure joop!

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Tue, 28 Feb 2012 1:23 pm

OK here's an update:

Turns out the location of the celebration is in HDB. So does the location determine the value of red packet? Will $60 be appropriate?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 28 Feb 2012 2:06 pm

the lynx wrote:OK here's an update:

Turns out the location of the celebration is in HDB. So does the location determine the value of red packet? Will $60 be appropriate?
Void Deck = $60 +$5 for every floor up?

j/k. I just get amused seeing so many "celebrations" in void decks. I couldn't think of a more depressing place to "celebrate" anything, except maybe a hospital room.

teck21
Chatter
Chatter

Post by teck21 » Tue, 28 Feb 2012 2:13 pm

I'd give 20 bucks tops for each of myself, spouse or miscellaneous associated adult in my party.

If that doesn't cover the cost of their celebration, it really is their own problem for being unnecessarily extravagant.

And who worded their invitation for them? Probably themselves, but that's part of the problem with English here. How on earth does one go about correcting mistakes like these?

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Wed, 29 Feb 2012 4:13 pm

Erm... As it turns out it is not void deck. The party will be held in the friend's unit itself. Saw the detail from the Facebook invitation last night. So how does one go about adjusting the red packet money?

Side note: I also saw that she invited total 163 people and still counting. "Please help me invite those I missed out," the post said. Can a HDB fit in this many?

Edit: Thanks JR8 for pointing out the typo :)
Last edited by the lynx on Wed, 29 Feb 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 29 Feb 2012 4:54 pm

the lynx wrote:Erm... As it turns out it is not void deck. The party will be held in the friend's house itself. Saw the detail from the Facebook invitation last night. So how does one go about adjusting the red packet money?

Side note: I also saw that she invited total 163 people and still counting. "Please help me invite those I missed out," the post said. Can a HDB fit in this many?
A Facebook event? I'd imagine you'd get 10% of those invited if lucky. Is she really blindly inviting everyone she's ever facebook friended? What a money grab hah. I guess that's one way for end users to monetize social media!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 29 Feb 2012 5:18 pm

the lynx wrote:Erm... As it turns out it is not void deck. The party will be held in the friend's house itself. Saw the detail from the Facebook invitation last night. So how does one go about adjusting the red packet money?

If people are eating standing up I'd say an HDB lounge, even a big one could take maybe 20 at a time. I reckon she is relying on people dropping in for 15 minutes eating and leaving. Nice little earner.

p.s. a house is a dwelling that has it's own roof. An HDB is a flat, apartment or 'unit'.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Wed, 01 Aug 2012 3:57 pm

I've got another invitation again. This time it is for a child's 1st birthday (not full moon).

Any advice? Or teck21's range still stands?

(Oh by the way, I didn't turn up for the previous baby event. The mother's further shameless get-go on the angpow bit really pissed me off)

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Post by iloverice » Wed, 01 Aug 2012 5:41 pm

I rarely get invitation, because I'm not "close" enough to some of them. And when I do received an invitation, it mean at least $50 has to be placed in the "red envelope" - this is for the baby's full month (because if I order hamper from the online shop it will cost minimum $50 for hamper of your choice). As for the wedding, normally it's the percentage of your "part", let's say you come alone and the wedding is a sitting dinner, 1 table/10 person = is the amount I need to prepare.

thismyvoice
Chatter
Chatter

Post by thismyvoice » Thu, 02 Aug 2012 1:27 pm

Amount depends on the venue, event, etc.

For baby's full month/ first year celebration in HDB/condo, $50 if you are going alone and $80 to $100 if family is invited. The alternative is to bring a gift for the baby.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Thu, 02 Aug 2012 1:59 pm

thismyvoice wrote:Amount depends on the venue, event, etc.

For baby's full month/ first year celebration in HDB/condo, $50 if you are going alone and $80 to $100 if family is invited. The alternative is to bring a gift for the baby.
Interestingly, the parents this time requested 'no gift please'. I presume that the only option left is money...

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Thu, 02 Aug 2012 3:15 pm

the lynx wrote:
thismyvoice wrote:Amount depends on the venue, event, etc.

Interestingly, the parents this time requested 'no gift please'. I presume that the only option left is money...
How about gold necklace/bracelet?