Singapore Expats

Gym Signup Fees (Specifically Pure Fitness Asia Square)

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
nburge
Regular
Regular

Gym Signup Fees (Specifically Pure Fitness Asia Square)

Post by nburge » Mon, 27 Feb 2012 1:39 pm

Hi - I had a quick look at the Pure Fitness Asia Square today, and whilst I only want to sign up for a month (have somewhere I normally train, which is unavailable for the next month) that isn't possible. They force you to commit for a year long contract.

This isn't a huge issue for me as it's convenient and the club looks good. But I need to negotiate on the signup fee and monthly rate and wanted some advice.

Their "opening offer" is $100 signup fee and $150 per month (give or take th GST and change). This is supposedly the early bird rate because they've only just opened (etc etc - I know these things normally drop).

So I have two questions:
1.) Has anyone else joined this club? If so, how much are you paying for the membership fee? Did you join without paying the sign up fee?

2.) For anyone not a member, what would you normally look to get as a discount before signing up? What's a "fair rate" to pay based on the starting offer they've made?

From other posts I seem to recall that no-one pays a signup fee, but haven't seen any specific advice on monthly rates.

nburge
Regular
Regular

Post by nburge » Tue, 28 Feb 2012 3:49 pm

For anyone interested - I've pushed them really hard and (for the time being at least) they aren't going to budge on price. The place has only been open 2 weeks, so I guess they're hoping to fill it up at their "introductory rate" before they look to reduce further.

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Hi

Post by calvink » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 12:15 am

What would be the rate now for yearly contract?

bubbasour

Post by bubbasour » Sun, 15 Dec 2013 11:51 pm

I was at Pure Fitness Knightsbridge above A&F at Orchard Rd. They are in my opinion better than the other ones I have visited, FF, True, Cali, Amore. However, they seem to charge 5-star for it too... :(

Not only a premium S$209++/month for 6m contract, but they also have S$200++ registration fee (basically just to enter your name in their system = pure-profit)

I mean the monthly fee makes sense as I am using their facility, but the joiners fee does not. I tried to push them a little bit, but there seem to be NO room for negotiation with them. I tried to get the joiner fee waived (as all the other gyms above did). They said they have no promotions too.

Has anyone been successful with getting their Joiners fee waived at any of the Pure Fitnesses?

I will call their sales representative who wanted to follow up and ask her whether they changed their minds and could waive the unreasonable joiners fee...

ohmz52
Regular
Regular

Post by ohmz52 » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 1:44 am

Why are the fees so high? I pay £24 a month in London (50$), I don't know how I'm going to survive when I move to Singapore soon :O
The grass is greener on the other side.

bubbasour

Post by bubbasour » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 1:40 pm

ohmz52 wrote:Why are the fees so high? I pay £24 a month in London (50$), I don't know how I'm going to survive when I move to Singapore soon :O
Some argue land is scarce so that could be a reason. However, the one mentioned is at "the prime location" above A&F. I'm not sure, but renting such facility on 5th ave NY is probably equally expensive.

Generally everything that's tied somehow to rents properties land etc. are pricy. I believe there's a huge purchasing power among the people who live here too, high salaries etc. so there's always those who can pay premium.

ohmz52
Regular
Regular

Post by ohmz52 » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 5:50 pm

Hmmm fair point.

But I still think it's a hefty price to pay considering all I'm doing is lifting a few metal plates.

I guess I have no choice

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 17 Dec 2013 12:50 am

I found my new gym (True Fitness Tampines, reasonably expensive) surprisingly convenient for hardcore big 3 exercises (squat+deads+bench), unlike previous one where the plates were polygonal (WTF!!!) and not round so can normally put it on the floor, and each time somebody drops a barbell on the floor the whole management gang comes and moralizes the poor guy (mostly me). All of those expensive commercial gyms have one common problem though - droves of noobs and gym morons (sometimes endangering others around by the circus they do) - most of serious guys train in basements. :)

ohmz52
Regular
Regular

Post by ohmz52 » Tue, 17 Dec 2013 1:24 am

Sergie, that doesn't sound too good at all.

Can't be worse than my current gym which is packed to the rim full of gangster wannabes who hav no manners.

I'll have to have a look around what's on offer, I don't want a gym full of noobs, nor do I want a gym where the staff are idiots.

I'll only really need a bench press, some very heavy dumbells, cables and a gym partner to motivate me.

I'm not on the basement level yet, I was about a year ago, not any more.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:08 am

Not gangsters, just retards. :)
Like a few days ago one Indian moron decided it is a good idea to do his dumbbell biceps curls right in front of squat rack, all this considering there is only 2 feet space between squat rack and the wall, so he was almost in the squat rack with me. I was squatting 180 kg ass-to-grass all the way down - pretty heavy, locking breath, I had stars in my eyes etc etc etc + this idiot is curling ass-to-my-face - distracting as hell! I told him to keep safe distance and do his fkng dumbbell curls in any of other 3,564,000,000 places available for him 90% empty gym, while I have only 1 single place to do heavy squats: squat rack! "Don't worry, I am pretty safe here!" It took me some time and distraction from my workout to explain this imbecile that it is not HIS safety I'm talking about...
Something like this. Happens sometimes. You will understand when some distrophy-afflicted idiot lifts his 10 pound dumbbell, yells as if he had a constipation for a month and now taking dump, and then throws that dumbbell all the way on the rubber floor, so it bounces and hits you while you're doing a heavy exercise (watch out so your barbell will not land on your head after that smashing your skull into pieces and splashing your brains all over the place). :)

ohmz52
Regular
Regular

Post by ohmz52 » Fri, 10 Jan 2014 10:08 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Not gangsters, just retards. :)
Like a few days ago one Indian moron decided it is a good idea to do his dumbbell biceps curls right in front of squat rack, all this considering there is only 2 feet space between squat rack and the wall, so he was almost in the squat rack with me. I was squatting 180 kg ass-to-grass all the way down - pretty heavy, locking breath, I had stars in my eyes etc etc etc + this idiot is curling ass-to-my-face - distracting as hell! I told him to keep safe distance and do his fkng dumbbell curls in any of other 3,564,000,000 places available for him 90% empty gym, while I have only 1 single place to do heavy squats: squat rack! "Don't worry, I am pretty safe here!" It took me some time and distraction from my workout to explain this imbecile that it is not HIS safety I'm talking about...
Something like this. Happens sometimes. You will understand when some distrophy-afflicted idiot lifts his 10 pound dumbbell, yells as if he had a constipation for a month and now taking dump, and then throws that dumbbell all the way on the rubber floor, so it bounces and hits you while you're doing a heavy exercise (watch out so your barbell will not land on your head after that smashing your skull into pieces and splashing your brains all over the place). :)
Serg
where abouts it your gym located?
do they do like trial day passes or anything to try before you buy?

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sat, 11 Jan 2014 2:20 am

True Fitness has 8 gyms in Singapore and I never asked them about trial passes.