Singapore Expats Forum

A little help here thanks!

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

rare
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 26 Feb 2012

A little help here thanks!

Postby rare » Sun, 26 Feb 2012 12:14 am

Recently on 1/2/12 i resigned from my hospital job, and done my clearance on the day itself, it was my last day of service, and I wasnt inform that I have to surrender my Employment Pass to the HR people, and recently i just discovered from ICA officials that I have to do that, in order to get a 30 days Short Term Visit Pass, in order for me to stay in Singapore legally.

Questions :

1) I previously assumed that I will automatically be granted for an ínvisible'social visit pass by MOM, from 1/2/2012 onwards, for the next 30 days, but it seem like it will not be the case, so I checked my EP status in EP online, it is still shown as VALID, so what should I do now to ensure I dont get into trouble when depart from Singapore?

2) And also I still need additional days for me to get a job in Singapore, assuming my days left are only until 1st or 2nd of March 2012, will I be able to make a U turn @ JB, is becoming a problem, due to my current EP is not cancelled yet. So i wondering whether the HR people should do that on my clearance day, my last day of service, instead of telling me nothing till I discover the problem now. Employer/third party acting on their behalf, should go cancel my EP and issue me the 30days social visit pass on the spot, on my last time of service, and also collect my EP away right?

Confused. What are the steps I should take? Taking into consideration, I wish to re-enter Singapore with a white card, and social visit pass. And will I be eligible for Long term visit pass, on the reason of seeking employment in Singapore? When i come in as a visitor of course.

Please help.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34778
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: A little help here thanks!

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 26 Feb 2012 12:45 am

rare wrote:Recently on 1/2/12 i resigned from my hospital job, and done my clearance on the day itself, it was my last day of service, and I wasnt inform that I have to surrender my Employment Pass to the HR people, and recently i just discovered from ICA officials that I have to do that, in order to get a 30 days Short Term Visit Pass, in order for me to stay in Singapore legally.

Questions :

1) I previously assumed that I will automatically be granted for an ínvisible'social visit pass by MOM, from 1/2/2012 onwards, for the next 30 days, but it seem like it will not be the case, so I checked my EP status in EP online, it is still shown as VALID, so what should I do now to ensure I dont get into trouble when depart from Singapore?

Where did you hear about an "invisible social visit pass"? I've never heard of such a silly thing in my life. Do you have a masters degree by chance?

2) And also I still need additional days for me to get a job in Singapore, assuming my days left are only until 1st or 2nd of March 2012, will I be able to make a U turn @ JB, is becoming a problem, due to my current EP is not cancelled yet. So i wondering whether the HR people should do that on my clearance day, my last day of service, instead of telling me nothing till I discover the problem now. Employer/third party acting on their behalf, should go cancel my EP and issue me the 30days social visit pass on the spot, on my last time of service, and also collect my EP away right?

As long as your employer has NOT canceled your EP you are still okay. You need to return the EP to your employer and they will cancel it and print out a copy of the SVP that is valid for 30 days. Upon expiry you WILL have to leave the country and then return to get another SVP. You will NOT be allowed to get an extension on the special end of contract SVP given upon cancellation of the EP.

Sounds like the company's HR department is a little short on talent or you didn't request cancellation on your last day of work, hoping to buy time. :-|


Confused. What are the steps I should take? Taking into consideration, I wish to re-enter Singapore with a white card, and social visit pass. And will I be eligible for Long term visit pass, on the reason of seeking employment in Singapore? When i come in as a visitor of course.

As far as getting a LTVP, it's doubtful that one will be granted just because you want to hunt for a job. In fact, I'm pretty sure it won't be granted.

Please help.


However, if they have canceled it, the issuance of the SVP is automatic but the employer needs to collect your pass and give you the printout of the special SVP.

rare
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 26 Feb 2012

Postby rare » Sun, 26 Feb 2012 1:34 am

1. Is there any chance that the EP has been cancelled/in progress of cancellation, as the EP is still physically with me, and I checked today, EP online, that it is still VALID? Because it is really a matter of left with few days and additional 30 days. And, if I return to the employer/third party to settle the EP, and once I get the STVP printed out, the date of cancellation, lets say on 27/2/2012, the STVP will be valid till 27/3/2012 right? And not the last day of my service, which will allows me to stay in till like 1st or 2nd March only.

* I'm holding a Q1 pass by the way.

2. Will there be any exception, for foreign student to enroll into a part time degree course, 1 year in duration, in SIM to be specific, and get a student pass from ICA by any chance? I know the regulation is that student pass only granted to Full time students, but will there be any exception at all? as one of my friends is having trouble in deciding as the workload for that part time 1 year course is sort of equivalent to a full time course, which does not allow him to have sufficient time to juggle work and studies at the same time. Giving the reason that he is still serving the government bond of 3 years, as he graduated from tertiary institute here in Singapore, and wish to stop working for a while, enroll in part time degree course in SIM.

Many thanks for your answers and appreciate that!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34778
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 26 Feb 2012 10:18 am

rare wrote:1. Is there any chance that the EP has been cancelled/in progress of cancellation, as the EP is still physically with me, and I checked today, EP online, that it is still VALID? Because it is really a matter of left with few days and additional 30 days. And, if I return to the employer/third party to settle the EP, and once I get the STVP printed out, the date of cancellation, lets say on 27/2/2012, the STVP will be valid till 27/3/2012 right? And not the last day of my service, which will allows me to stay in till like 1st or 2nd March only.

The special SVP (end of EP SVP) will take effect from the moment of cancellation of the EP. You cannot go by what is on the EPOL site as it's not always timely updated. If your EP HAS been canceled and you don't have the printout (which only the employer has access to download & print due to barcoding) you may well overstay your visa. This may cause you some grief but also will give you some free lodging (the slammer) for a period of time. Don't know if they still cane overstayers or not, but that's also a possibility. If you left your previous employer in not such good terms (sounds like it to me) then you better hotfoot it down to MOM with your EP and ensure things have been done and they print you out your special SVP. Otherwise, you could find yourself in deep brown poo.


* I'm holding a Q1 pass by the way.

2. Will there be any exception, for foreign student to enroll into a part time degree course, 1 year in duration, in SIM to be specific, and get a student pass from ICA by any chance? I know the regulation is that student pass only granted to Full time students, but will there be any exception at all? as one of my friends is having trouble in deciding as the workload for that part time 1 year course is sort of equivalent to a full time course, which does not allow him to have sufficient time to juggle work and studies at the same time. Giving the reason that he is still serving the government bond of 3 years, as he graduated from tertiary institute here in Singapore, and wish to stop working for a while, enroll in part time degree course in SIM.

No.

Many thanks for your answers and appreciate that!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 26 Feb 2012 11:07 am

rare wrote:...as the EP is still physically with me, and I checked today, EP online, that it is still VALID? ...


In case you are still lost, Your physically holding the pass in hand, is not relevant. I heard the same question from a friend, who thought that unless the pass is surrendered to MOM, the pass is valid. It is not so.

And a small note - for working while studying, that option is only available for masters students, and I know a couple of guys who were told by ICA that they will only be allowed to switch to part time / get a work upon completion of x number of semesters - so it is not like you enroll and then go part time and work to pay for your course.

And, unless your course is in specific fields, like Hotel management/culinary etc, you must switch back to EP to work - that's from what I know. for example, you can't, while doing a masters in Information technology - be expect to be allowed to work part time, unless you switch to EP.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34778
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 26 Feb 2012 2:32 pm

If the above answer is confusing, revert to the simple explanation I gave you. :wink:

rare
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 26 Feb 2012

Postby rare » Sun, 26 Feb 2012 2:54 pm

seem like the actions for tomorrow would be:

1. Call up hospital to find out whether EP has been cancelled, and to ask for the special STVP by MOM printed from them, if it is in process. What if they still have not cancel my EP until now? It's like more than 20 days. If they cancel it tomorrow, will there will any penalty lands on me/employer side? And, is the special 30 days visit pass printable again from the EP web? Just to make sure tomorrow I get the finalized outcome. If not, proceed to ICA/MOM to talk to the officials would be the best I assume.

2. As for enrolling in Singapore for part time degree and without a valid/current job, would be impossible right? I guess this is the conclusion, and no exception. :(

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34778
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 26 Feb 2012 7:05 pm

rare wrote:seem like the actions for tomorrow would be:

1. Call up hospital to find out whether EP has been cancelled, and to ask for the special STVP by MOM printed from them, if it is in process. What if they still have not cancel my EP until now? It's like more than 20 days. If they cancel it tomorrow, will there will any penalty lands on me/employer side? And, is the special 30 days visit pass printable again from the EP web? Just to make sure tomorrow I get the finalized outcome. If not, proceed to ICA/MOM to talk to the officials would be the best I assume.

If you and your employer are on amicable terms, get them to a) cancel the EP and print out the SVP or b) reprint the SVP if they have actually already canceled the EP. If they will do neither, then proceed to MOM to self cancel the EP and they will give you the SVP.


2. As for enrolling in Singapore for part time degree and without a valid/current job, would be impossible right? I guess this is the conclusion, and no exception. :(

Correct.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 27 Feb 2012 11:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If the above answer is confusing, revert to the simple explanation I gave you. :wink:


Which doesn't help those who think that holding the pass physically means the pass is valid - or does it ?? :) :P :P


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest