Singapore Expats

About avoiding NS

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
austincmn

About avoiding NS

Post by austincmn » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 7:29 pm

Me and my brother (twins), are 15 this year, were born in Singapore and is currently living in China, without being PR in China or anything like that. My dad is Chinese (Chinese as in nationality) and my mom is Singaporean.
My mom has passed away in 2007, when I was 10. And we have been living in China since we were 12 years old. We have been studying in China for almost three years now.
So I was wondering if it is possible in any way to avoid NS as my grandma was talking to me about changing my nationality to Chinese. If any more information is needed, just ask.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: About avoiding NS

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 25 Feb 2012 5:57 am

austincmn wrote:Me and my brother (twins), are 15 this year, were born in Singapore and is currently living in China, without being PR in China or anything like that. My dad is Chinese (Chinese as in nationality) and my mom is Singaporean.
My mom has passed away in 2007, when I was 10. And we have been living in China since we were 12 years old. We have been studying in China for almost three years now.
So I was wondering if it is possible in any way to avoid NS as my grandma was talking to me about changing my nationality to Chinese. If any more information is needed, just ask.
Yes, you can avoid NS and the only way is by not stepping one foot for both you to SG . Not even transit. Stay low, so low that it is even lower than the tall grass so that Gahmen cannot detect you . Other than that look it up my posts to read all the repercussion and impact of avoiding NS and its protocol to renounce SG citizenship
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 25 Feb 2012 6:09 am

Hi MS,

Question. Yesterday we had a guy who was a born SGn left as a child, raised in the US, who gave up citizenship at 21. And the opinon was yes you can go back, and you might get an EP if you have a niche skill.

Here we have people who cannot even set foot in SG again.

I know both scenarios exist because I've seen it discussed many times. But for those of us who haven't the time/inclination to follow the NS topics in complete detail, is there a one or two line way of summarising the difference between these two very different kinds of cases, that apparently leads to such a divergence in outcome?

[Tell me to go and Search if you like, I won't mind ;)]

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 25 Feb 2012 11:03 am

JR8 wrote:Hi MS,

Question. Yesterday we had a guy who was a born SGn left as a child, raised in the US, who gave up citizenship at 21. And the opinon was yes you can go back, and you might get an EP if you have a niche skill.

Here we have people who cannot even set foot in SG again.

I know both scenarios exist because I've seen it discussed many times. But for those of us who haven't the time/inclination to follow the NS topics in complete detail, is there a one or two line way of summarising the difference between these two very different kinds of cases, that apparently leads to such a divergence in outcome?

[Tell me to go and Search if you like, I won't mind ;)]
Very briefly and loosely accurate - Somewhere around age 11 you need to "do something" that indicates your intention to renounce citizenship at 21. "Do Something" is a very specific and prescribed process of multiple hoops and layers of red-tape for MINDEF and ICA. Again, this is very brief and and loosely accurate, but probably close enough for someone who is only curious and doesn't have to worry about it for themselves. (e.g., you and me :P)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 25 Feb 2012 1:56 pm

Ah, I see. And yes, that's about all I needed to know :)

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 25 Feb 2012 3:08 pm

The Canadian lad did it properly i.e the whole shebang. This OP did not go thru the protocol. Big Difference !!
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Momster1

Post by Momster1 » Wed, 29 Aug 2018 5:42 am

Hi, my 11 year old son is severely autistic. He was born in sg but we moved to UK when he was 10 months old. He became British citizen in 2016. How can he avoid NS. My husband is still a singaporean, me and my son became British.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 29 Aug 2018 8:47 am

Momster1 wrote:Hi, my 11 year old son is severely autistic. He was born in sg but we moved to UK when he was 10 months old. He became British citizen in 2016. How can he avoid NS. My husband is still a singaporean, me and my son became British.

He will almost certainly fail his PES (physical test - note however that CMPB are lowering the bar to catch more and more every year but I doubt that they have gotten so desperate as to draft auts yet). Make sure you have your UK address updated with ICA so you don't miss any notices. At 13 he will receive a notice and from there on you need to apply for leave (exit permit) on a 364 day basis to avoid posting a bond. At some point he will receive a call up notice. Fly back and have him checked in at CMPB - he will be graded out. Alternative you may be able to have a Singapore govt authority (I'm thinking of the Mental Hospital run by pinkies butch daughter but the name fails me) write to CMPB explaining your son's condition and you may get an early exemption. (IMH - just came to me). It needs to be a Singapore govt. institute. Cannot be a private or UK one. At 21 he can renounce his Singapore citizenship officially (or someone can do on his behalf I guess). You need to do that at the Singapore High Comm in London with a specific form that you can find with google.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Return to “Strictly Speaking”