Singapore Expats Forum

Car queries & advice please

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.

Sponsored by:
AVIS Car Rental
PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Car queries & advice please

Postby PrimroseHill » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 5:17 am

I was wondering if I can ship my car from London to Malaysia, my parents home. I was wondering if there's restriction on how many days I can drive the car in and out of Spore, how the insurance will work, tax disc & ERP

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:09 am

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Postby PrimroseHill » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 5:27 pm

Thank you for that, SMS.

WORK PASSES

Any work pass holder, who is neither a Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR) nor a resident of Singapore, may drive a foreign-registered car and motorcycle in Singapore only if ALL these conditions are met:

a) he is the registered owner of the vehicle ;
b) he resides outside Singapore;

c) the vehicle is kept or used outside Singapore for a total period of 6 hours or more everyday ;
d) he has a valid insurance certificate and road tax for the use of the vehicle on Singapore roads ; and
e) the vehicle has an Autopass Card to validate its entry/exit at Woodlands and Tuas checkpoints and for payment of Vehicle Entry Permit/Toll charges.

How does this work, lets say; i.e. Mon-Thurs, the car is stored & park at my parents house in MAL, after work Fri evening fly into MAL drive the car into SIN and the car is then back in MAL again by Sunday evening? Or public holidays? How does the 6hours work?

It is just confusing, as the above information comes from the LTA overview tab, a drill in where it says West MAL registered vehicles made no mention of the 6hours curfew other than payment of the autopass.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 8:39 pm

PrimroseHill wrote:Thank you for that, SMS.

WORK PASSES

Any work pass holder, who is neither a Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR) nor a resident of Singapore, may drive a foreign-registered car and motorcycle in Singapore only if ALL these conditions are met:

a) he is the registered owner of the vehicle ;
b) he resides outside Singapore;

c) the vehicle is kept or used outside Singapore for a total period of 6 hours or more everyday ;
d) he has a valid insurance certificate and road tax for the use of the vehicle on Singapore roads ; and
e) the vehicle has an Autopass Card to validate its entry/exit at Woodlands and Tuas checkpoints and for payment of Vehicle Entry Permit/Toll charges.

How does this work, lets say; i.e. Mon-Thurs, the car is stored & park at my parents house in MAL, after work Fri evening fly into MAL drive the car into SIN and the car is then back in MAL again by Sunday evening? Or public holidays? How does the 6hours work?

It is just confusing, as the above information comes from the LTA overview tab, a drill in where it says West MAL registered vehicles made no mention of the 6hours curfew other than payment of the autopass.

6 hours every day, just like it says. Not an average of 6 hours a day over X period of time. They want people who legitimately reside in Malaysia to be able to drive to work, but that's it. They want to avoid what you're trying to do.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Postby PrimroseHill » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 8:47 pm

thank you, zzz. Thats what the LTA says...

Before entering Singapore, please ensure that you have:

a valid insurance coverage for your vehicle for the period of your vehicle's stay in Singapore
a valid road tax for your vehicle
an Autopass Card

If you do not have an Autopass Card, please purchase one at the checkpoint before you enter Singapore. The Autopass Card is only issued at VEP/ Tolls offices in secondary clearance areas at the arrival zones of Woodlands or Tuas Checkpoint.

It is an offence to drive a foreign-registered vehicle into Singapore without an Autopass Card.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 9:19 pm

LTA know your game. You can't do it. Which bit isn't clear?

Talk about kiasu, and you aren't even SGn! :o

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Sat, 25 Feb 2012 11:49 am

but you can do it the other way round you can get an off peak car in Singapore and drive it, apparently indefinitely in Malaysia. Some imported cars are more expensive in Malaysia than Singapore.