Singapore Expats Forum

What to do with a car stipend of $1250/month?

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.

Sponsored by:
AVIS Car Rental
Strong Eagle

Re: Renting out 3 year old BMW 520i

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 25 Mar 2012 10:57 am

Jacksontanyy wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Jacksontanyy wrote:I'm renting out my 3 year old 520i, incase if u are interested, pm me for more details :)

No thanks, that would be illegal.

Hey you and I know you've broken the forum rules by advertising, but are you also advocating that people break the law?

Just wondering.

Just for your info, it's not illegal. It's just that the insurance for the car don't cover for subletting just incase if accident happens. In most cases, you don't have to let the insurer know that you rented the car but merely was driving a "friend's car" and that would settle the problem.

Definitely for a private arrangement trust is important and things can be worked out and definitely easier on your pocket as well. Do let me know if u change ur mind.

What you are suggesting is, indeed, patently illegal. You can rent your private motor car on holidays and weekends, and it must be covered by insurance provided by you.

To rent other than holidays and weekends is illegal. To rent without proper renter's insurance is illegal.

http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/lta/en/mo ... tFlag=none

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 25 Mar 2012 11:48 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:zzm, why is your HDB season parking so high? I only pay $75/month.

I wish I knew. I can't seem to find a listing of the rates either. All I found is the online form where I fille it out and they tell me it will be $XX.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Sun, 25 Mar 2012 11:06 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:zzm, why is your HDB season parking so high? I only pay $75/month.

I wish I knew. I can't seem to find a listing of the rates either. All I found is the online form where I fille it out and they tell me it will be $XX.

Actually you can. Go to HDB website and search for specific parking zones and the rate will show in a table. Or you can click on the season parking map to find out where are parking zones available. That was how I found out how much mine cost and also that was how I figured out if I park at certain blocks a little farther (or choose the non-sheltered one), I will get the lower rate.

Wish I can show you the link but I'm now using mobile. Will come around to do it when I'm on a computer instead.

Edit: To update.
Last edited by the lynx on Mon, 26 Mar 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 26 Mar 2012 1:41 pm

If you could post it, that would be great. I suck at the Internet when it comes to SG Gov websites. I can never find what I'm looking for.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Mon, 26 Mar 2012 1:55 pm

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10327p.nsf/w/CarPark1NewSP?OpenDocument#Charges

Ta-da!

I think the info is very general but that's pretty much how I figured out roughly how much each car park zone surrounding my area would cost...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Mar 2012 2:09 pm

Actually, I knew where that page was but never gave it a thought as when I got my season parking started because I'm way out in the boonies, we are cheaper than youse guys who live down in the expensive districts inside the CBD. I didn't read the whole page but stopped as soon as I found what I was looking for. :(

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 26 Mar 2012 3:50 pm

According to that page, any Covered Car-park outside the "Restricted Zone" (outside ERP from what I gather) should be $90. Or am I reading it wrong? I didn't see anywhere to search by my specific garage. (MP2M)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Mar 2012 4:42 pm

Mine is $75/mo whether in the covered carpark or outside in the open. But I'm way out in the boonies as well.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Mar 2012 4:52 pm

Mine is what is considered as a "special precinct" with "equalized season parking" whatever that is. But it translates to $75/month at any rate.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 26 Mar 2012 5:09 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:But I'm way out in the boonies as well.

This is probably the only case where this is true, but I actually prefer the Singlish term here. Boonies = ulu ulu :D

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Mon, 26 Mar 2012 10:41 pm

zzm9980 wrote:

This is probably the only case where this is true, but I actually prefer the Singlish term here. Boonies = ulu ulu :D

Ulu is so ulu, you only need to say it once! :P

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 27 Mar 2012 12:46 pm

the lynx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

Ulu is so ulu, you only need to say it once! :P

Oh, the Singaporeans I hear always say things like "I don't want go ulu ulu laaa!"

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Tue, 27 Mar 2012 1:18 pm

The thing about Singlish is that, being partially rooted in Malay as well, emphasis is added by saying the adjective twice.

So you will hear lines like these among Singaporeans (and Malaysians too):

Banyak-banyak: Many, many (literally)
Ulu-ulu: Very ulu
Macam-macam: Full of sorts (to imply fickle personality) or sometimes used to describe variety in a group of objects
Bodoh-bodoh: Very stupid

Don't be surprised if foreign languages get mixed up in that rule:

Sexy-sexy (from English): (ahem) You know what it implies
Sot-sot (from Cantonese)/Siao-siao (from Hokkien): Really nuts
Bakka-bakka (from Japanese): Very stupid (usually used by young Japanese wannabes around here)

:P
Last edited by the lynx on Tue, 27 Mar 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 27 Mar 2012 2:46 pm

Heh, makes sense. Chinese and Vietnamese are both like that too.