Singapore Expats

tablet

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 7:28 pm

'Internet for all... British firm develops £22 wireless tablet to plug 'affordability gap' in market'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... arket.html

No wonder Apple is the biggest/richest company in the world!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 9:08 am

zzm9980 wrote: Robust as in surving being smacked "gently" by a frustrated woman? The iPad is probably the best compared to any tablet I've seen.
Robust as for being a toy for a kid. To survive the women's direct anger a tablet has yet to be invented that's why prevention is so important.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 9:28 am

x9200 wrote:To survive the women's direct anger a tablet has yet to be invented that's why prevention is so important.
Do you think Moses's would have made it? :P

Speaking of tablets, here's a couple for field work: http://www.panasonic.com/business/tough ... erview.asp

MIL-STD-810G and IP65 certified!
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 9:44 am

MIL-STD-810G and IP65 does not certify protection against angry women.

I think this one is much better:
ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/t ... -H2_ss.pdf

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:46 am

You still looking for that tablet?

The IT show's on and here some prices: http://itfairsg.com/itshow2012/price-list-by-date/

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 12:15 pm

Yes, thanks for the link. The Archos you mentioned is one of the stronger candidates but did not have time yet to follow the proper local procedure meaning going downtown to touch it with my bare hands. Another one is Motorola Xoom, wifi, 32GB, on the Courts pricelist for 499 only but no stock.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 1:53 pm

This is one is just about to enter the market:

http://www.pricesingapore.com/2012/03/a ... ablet.html

probably worth of waiting a bit to see what is it worth.

And yes, the "new ipad" launch was already announced for March 16th. BTW, I am not really any experienced Apple user - how the company deal with the sale of the old generation product when a new one is launched? Do they lower the price or remove the old ones from the sales?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 2:07 pm

x9200 wrote:This is one is just about to enter the market:

http://www.pricesingapore.com/2012/03/a ... ablet.html

probably worth of waiting a bit to see what is it worth.

And yes, the "new ipad" launch was already announced for March 16th. BTW, I am not really any experienced Apple user - how the company deal with the sale of the old generation product when a new one is launched? Do they lower the price or remove the old ones from the sales?
They lower the price.

I'd like to say the limitation of "everything through iTunes" but you're probably aware of that already.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 2:24 pm

Yes, this is a true pain in *beep* and that's the main reason actually I would prefer some android driven with a card slot. What I do is I run a media UPnP server at home (Twonky) and there are some good application that can see it and just download media files over wifi. No iTunes involved.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 2:33 pm

There are lots of DLNA / UPnp apps for iOS devices. My friend runs a client/server pair that he uses to stream videos over 3G to his iPhone every day for the commute to work.

http://www.airserverapp.com/ is the app I think.

If you don't need the beefier specs of the "new iPad", you can now get the iPad2 for US$100 cheaper.

edit: And 'technically' you can do everything without iTunes or ever tethering to a PC since iOS 5 came out last October.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 2:41 pm

x9200 wrote:Yes, this is a true pain in *beep* and that's the main reason actually I would prefer some android driven with a card slot. What I do is I run a media UPnP server at home (Twonky) and there are some good application that can see it and just download media files over wifi. No iTunes involved.
Yeah, workarounds exist. But you still can't shake the feeling knowing it limits what you can do (oh so simply on other things) with it by design.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 2:45 pm

Here is a full list of the clients:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UP ... ch.2C_iPad

If this is all you really need, it'll work great. Not as cheaply as a Fire, but you said 10" screen is important.

ddlim12

Post by ddlim12 » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 10:12 am

no advertising

RimBlock
Regular
Regular

Post by RimBlock » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 1:44 pm

I have just bought a Sony tablet. They generally retail for around S$600+ but there are a number of adds on one of the PC Hardware forums (happy to name it if mods are fine with me doing so) for around S$500.

I got mine for S$500, no GSM but 32GB from a guy who got it on a credit card promotion just before his SO bought him an iPad2. I am pretty happy with it. Very responsive screen, decent size, easy to hold one handed. Of course the accessories are very expensive (S$39 - S$49 for just about anything). It has a SD card slot so you can add a 32GB card and give it 64GB total. It has a nice setup for DLNA and is a Playstation ce3rtified device so if Sony ever get the mobile Playstation shop up and running in Asia, you can buy Playstation games to run on it and with bluetooth, you can even hook up a PS3 controller. It comes with Crash Bandicoot and Pinball Heros. The unit also works fine with my Sony bluetooth ADAP stereo headset although the FF/Play/RW etc buttons on the headset obviously do not work.

If you want GSM then you could add a MiFi. I bought a NTT Docomo (LG) LC-09C unit and it works fine with M1/Singtel/Starhub and allows multiple wifi connections from laptops, tablets or mobile phones. Battery life seems good and using it does not run down my mobile phones battery. Speeds also seem good even on the lower Singtel mobile broadband package. It is not cheap at around S$170 but you can most probably find it cheaper shopping around. I just leave it in my shoulder bag and turn on the Wifi when I need it (it auto offs the WiFi if not in use but keeps the GSM connection). Only real downside is no 4G. Other makes and models are available from Challenger etc.

I am now playing around with KeePass to store and sync my passwords between my mobile, tablet and PC in conjunction with Dropbox for other files. Very happy with the tablet.

RB
Without dialogues, if you tell them you want something real bad, you will get it real bad.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 1:57 pm

We are fine with it. I'm assuming it might be Hardware Zone?

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”