Singapore Expats Forum

please help!

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
monkey2007
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 21 Feb 2012

please help!

Postby monkey2007 » Tue, 21 Feb 2012 6:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I have recently received our PR approval letter. We waited close to 16 months before we finally received this approval letter. And my baby was born 10 months ago in HK.

I want to know a couple things:

1. how can I include my baby which hasn't included in our application when we submitted our application.

2. my husband is the main applicant, I and my 2 years old child are the dependent in this PR application. We plan to rent an apartment in singapore to complete the formalities before the LPR status expires

3. Can anymore tell me how long does it take to finish the formalities?
Do we have to stay in Singapore to wait for the formalities completion?
Can I go back to HK first while wait for the completion?

4. Do I need to apply re-entry permit if I want to travel back to HK?

4. I need to do the medical check-up. Do I need to do it in HK or in Singapore?

5. Can my husband be alone complete the formalities and I and my child do not plan to convert to a full PR status?

Thank you!

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 21 Feb 2012 8:47 pm

So help me understand so I can help you; you applied for a PR without being resident in Singapore? Is your husband in HK or in Singapore?

monkey2007
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 21 Feb 2012

Postby monkey2007 » Tue, 21 Feb 2012 10:08 pm

Yes, we submitted our application from HK. They give us two options either through employment or relocation.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 21 Feb 2012 10:37 pm

The now defunct LPR scheme.

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1790
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Re: please help!

Postby Mi Amigo » Tue, 21 Feb 2012 11:30 pm

monkey2007 wrote:Hi everyone,

I have recently received our PR approval letter. We waited close to 16 months before we finally received this approval letter. And my baby was born 10 months ago in HK.

I want to know a couple things:

OK, I'll try to help you, although most of the answers should be in the approval documentation or easily searchable at the ICA website. Aside from question 1 that is, which I find a bit strange TBH.

I'm basing my answers on the 'PTS' PR process; if there are any differences for the LPR scheme, hopefully one of the real experts will chime in.

1. how can I include my baby which hasn't included in our application when we submitted our application.

I don't think you can just 'include the baby' since (if I've understood your post correctly) you didn't tell the ICA about his/her birth. You are required to inform the ICA about any material changes in your circumstances during the time that the application is being processed. If you didn't tell them about this until now, they might not take kindly to being informed at this late stage in the process. But in any case I'd imagine that a new separate application (for PR or LTSVP) would need to be made for your baby.

2. my husband is the main applicant, I and my 2 years old child are the dependent in this PR application. We plan to rent an apartment in singapore to complete the formalities before the LPR status expires

Not sure whether you're asking anything here.

3. Can anymore tell me how long does it take to finish the formalities?

You need to apply online (via the website specified in the approval letter) for an appointment at the ICA building. Once there, provided you have all the documents, photos, etc. in good order, the process should take around 30 minutes to an hour.

Do we have to stay in Singapore to wait for the formalities completion?

You can make the appointment online from outside of Singapore, but you need to be here to complete the formalities (it can be done within one day).

Can I go back to HK first while wait for the completion?

Not necessary - see above.

4. Do I need to apply re-entry permit if I want to travel back to HK?

Yes, but you should have received the forms to apply for REP together with your approval letter. You need to complete these and provide the photos; the REPs will then be issued at the same time that you complete the PR formalities during your appointment at the ICA.

4. I need to do the medical check-up. Do I need to do it in HK or in Singapore?

Check the forms and documentation that should have been sent with your approval letter. The medicals can be done outside of Singapore, but in that case the original lab reports and X-rays must be attached to the completed 'Medical Examination Report' forms.

5. Can my husband be alone complete the formalities and I and my child do not plan to convert to a full PR status?

OK, so now you're saying you don't want to accept the PR you have been offered (only your husband will take up PR)? In which case, why did you bother asking the other questions above? Anyway... if that's what you want to do, then yes, your husband can take up PR and you and your child can decline your PR. But then you'd need to figure out how you would be able to secure the right to live in Singapore (assuming you actually want to do that). LTSVP may be an option, but I'm not sure how an application for that would be looked upon, given that you were offered PR and turned it down.

Are any of your children boys by any chance?
Be careful what you wish for

monkey2007
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 21 Feb 2012

Re: please help!

Postby monkey2007 » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 12:36 am

I was pregnant in summer 2010 after we submitted application in April. SMC in HK told me I may need to wait until the baby is born as I don't even have a birth certificate. After my baby was born, I found out the SMC office in HK was shut down and the telephone number was out of service.

Previously SMC told me it usually takes about 6 months to get approved. So after waiting for more than one year, I thought the application is failed and I don't even know where to contact them.

Anyway, do you know whether I can send an email to ICA to ask them how to apply the PR for my baby?

The reason I am considering not to accept the PR for my child and me is because SMC just told me that being a PR, my child is not able to apply for an International School. He can only study in a government aided school which may not what we want for our child. That is why we are thinking only my husband will convert into full PR status.

My question is can my child apply PR in the future after he decides not to take up PR at this moment?

Oh I am reading the medical examination report, it said Medical exam and HIV test. I saw there are 2 things the doctor needs to fill out. One is TB ( Chest X-ray) and HIV....Is that all I need to ask to do for the medical exam? It seems rather simple.

Thanks so much for sharing!!





Mi Amigo wrote:
monkey2007 wrote:Hi everyone,

I have recently received our PR approval letter. We waited close to 16 months before we finally received this approval letter. And my baby was born 10 months ago in HK.

I want to know a couple things:

OK, I'll try to help you, although most of the answers should be in the approval documentation or easily searchable at the ICA website. Aside from question 1 that is, which I find a bit strange TBH.

I'm basing my answers on the 'PTS' PR process; if there are any differences for the LPR scheme, hopefully one of the real experts will chime in.

1. how can I include my baby which hasn't included in our application when we submitted our application.


I don't think you can just 'include the baby' since (if I've understood your post correctly) you didn't tell the ICA about his/her birth. You are required to inform the ICA about any material changes in your circumstances during the time that the application is being processed. If you didn't tell them about this until now, they might not take kindly to being informed at this late stage in the process. But in any case I'd imagine that a new separate application (for PR or LTSVP) would need to be made for your baby.

2. my husband is the main applicant, I and my 2 years old child are the dependent in this PR application. We plan to rent an apartment in singapore to complete the formalities before the LPR status expires

Not sure whether you're asking anything here.

3. Can anymore tell me how long does it take to finish the formalities?

You need to apply online (via the website specified in the approval letter) for an appointment at the ICA building. Once there, provided you have all the documents, photos, etc. in good order, the process should take around 30 minutes to an hour.

Do we have to stay in Singapore to wait for the formalities completion?

You can make the appointment online from outside of Singapore, but you need to be here to complete the formalities (it can be done within one day).

Can I go back to HK first while wait for the completion?

Not necessary - see above.

4. Do I need to apply re-entry permit if I want to travel back to HK?

Yes, but you should have received the forms to apply for REP together with your approval letter. You need to complete these and provide the photos; the REPs will then be issued at the same time that you complete the PR formalities during your appointment at the ICA.

4. I need to do the medical check-up. Do I need to do it in HK or in Singapore?

Check the forms and documentation that should have been sent with your approval letter. The medicals can be done outside of Singapore, but in that case the original lab reports and X-rays must be attached to the completed 'Medical Examination Report' forms.

5. Can my husband be alone complete the formalities and I and my child do not plan to convert to a full PR status?

OK, so now you're saying you don't want to accept the PR you have been offered (only your husband will take up PR)? In which case, why did you bother asking the other questions above? Anyway... if that's what you want to do, then yes, your husband can take up PR and you and your child can decline your PR. But then you'd need to figure out how you would be able to secure the right to live in Singapore (assuming you actually want to do that). LTSVP may be an option, but I'm not sure how an application for that would be looked upon, given that you were offered PR and turned it down.

Are any of your children boys by any chance?

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1790
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Re: please help!

Postby Mi Amigo » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 1:29 am

monkey2007 wrote:I was pregnant in summer 2010 after we submitted application in April. SMC in HK told me I may need to wait until the baby is born as I don't even have a birth certificate. After my baby was born, I found out the SMC office in HK was shut down and the telephone number was out of service.

Forgive my bluntness, but you seem to have been rather negligent over this. This SMC outfit may have assisted with your PR applications, but as the applicants you were still responsible for complying with the requirements of the ICA, including notifying them of changes in circumstances, e.g. the birth of your baby. You failed to do that, so now you'll have to face whatever consequences may arise.

Previously SMC told me it usually takes about 6 months to get approved. So after waiting for more than one year, I thought the application is failed and I don't even know where to contact them.
A quick search on Google would have led you to the ICA website where their contact details are readily available. A phone call or email to them would have enabled you to update them and get information about the status of the application (it can also be checked online). I doubt whether they will have any sympathy for you if/when you contact them now; they will probably assume that you just couldn't be bothered to make the effort before.

Anyway, do you know whether I can send an email to ICA to ask them how to apply the PR for my baby?

Sure, there's nothing to stop you sending them an email - contact details are available via the ICA website. However, I'm not sure how they will respond bearing in mind what has happened (and not happened) up to this point. However, you don't know until you ask, although if I were in your position I would phone them in the first instance. And it should probably be your husband, as the main applicant, who should contact them.

The reason I am considering not to accept the PR for my child and me is because SMC just told me that being a PR, my child is not able to apply for an International School. He can only study in a government aided school which may not what we want for our child. That is why we are thinking only my husband will convert into full PR status.

I've never heard of such a thing. I am a PR and my children have attended an International School here (before and after we obtained PR status). And I reiterate my earlier point - if you decline the PR that has been offered, how are you going to be able to stay in Singapore? Are you going to take a chance on an LTSVP application? At a guess I would say a successful outcome would not be guaranteed on that.

My question is can my child apply PR in the future after he decides not to take up PR at this moment?

Of course, he could apply at any time. However I wouldn't like to give you odds on the chance of success second time round, bearing in mind he'd already declined to take up PR when it was offered.

BTW, I assume you're aware of the NS obligations for second generation male PRs?

Oh I am reading the medical examination report, it said Medical exam and HIV test. I saw there are 2 things the doctor needs to fill out. One is TB ( Chest X-ray) and HIV....Is that all I need to ask to do for the medical exam? It seems rather simple.

Yes, what you saw on the form is what needs to be provided. But as I mentioned earlier, if the tests are done outside of Singapore, the doctor will need to attach the original X-rays and lab reports.
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3457
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Re: please help!

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 3:10 am

monkey2007 wrote:
Anyway, do you know whether I can send an email to ICA to ask them how to apply the PR for my baby?

No, you cannot apply PR for baby . You have to reside here and get a LTSVP pass for child. Parent will be the sponsor of child
The reason I am considering not to accept the PR for my child and me is because SMC just told me that being a PR, my child is not able to apply for an International School. He can only study in a government aided school which may not what we want for our child. That is why we are thinking only my husband will convert into full PR status.

I am not so sure but you can apply for International School even if you are a PR holder


My question is can my child apply PR in the future after he decides not to take up PR at this moment?

This is irrelevant at this moment based on earlier reply.
@Amigo; OP is not under PTS but LPR scheme which is now defunct. Yes , child will be a 2nd Gen PR which NS obligation is compulsory

The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

monkey2007
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 21 Feb 2012

Postby monkey2007 » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 3:52 am

Thanks for the replies. It seems that the answers I got from SMC are different from yours. I will double check with ICA and other departments.

For including the baby in our PR, I think I need to submit application again. I have already called them, the PR hotline, but no one answered for the whole day. I will send them email.

I am thinking we need to complete the formalities first within one year period. I will come back to HK first to wait for my baby's application gets approved. As I can't leave the baby alone in HK.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1431
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 8:54 am

monkey2007 wrote:I am thinking we need to complete the formalities first within one year period. I will come back to HK first to wait for my baby's application gets approved. As I can't leave the baby alone in HK.


You can still apply for LTSVP for your baby and live in Singapore.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest