Singapore Expats

PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
haquocanh

PR

Post by haquocanh » Sun, 19 Feb 2012 4:06 pm

Hello everyone,
My wife and I are living and working in Singapore for almost 2,5 years (29 months) and we plan to settle down and stay long long in Singapore.

- We are Vietnamese-chinese. Holding P2, Auditors in Big 4. I am 30 and my wife is 29.
- My wife is Melbourne Uni (Australia) graduated with ACCA qualification
- I am Vietnamese graduated with CPA Australia & CPA Vietnam qualification
- We fill in the PR Application, in which, my wife is the Applicant, and I will be the applicant's spouse. We will apply PR for the whole family (including our 8 month old daughter).
- I understand from the PR application: "Main applicants who are granted PR status under PTS scheme are exempted from NS". However, I am not sure with the definition of "main applicants" here. Therefore I still concern whether I have to go for NS or not. My questions are:

1. Will I have to go for NS?
2. Can you weigh my chance of getting PR at this moment, given our above profiles?
3. Any other advices are more than welcome.

Thank you very much,
Andy
Last edited by haquocanh on Mon, 20 Feb 2012 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 19 Feb 2012 5:17 pm

If your wife is the main applicant and you are given PR, there is the distinct possibility that you could be called up for NS. The odds are that you will get a waiver, but by law, you must register for NS and take that gamble.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

haquocanh

Post by haquocanh » Sun, 19 Feb 2012 8:52 pm

Thank you very much for prompt response, SMS.

Now I know that my case will be treated equally as the male applicant in a Family ties-PR application. I also understand that, in these situations, I will be called up for NS.

From those advices in other topics, an un-written rule of MOD (or ICA) says that if the applicant is older than 25, he has to register for NS but aftermath; he will be normally waived for NS's enlistment.

In your real life experience, have you ever seen any guy that was still called for NS although he is older than 25 or close to 30 (like me) ?

Thanks,
Andy
Last edited by haquocanh on Mon, 20 Feb 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 19 Feb 2012 9:28 pm

Not yet. But lots of changes have been taking place in Singapore since the May 2011 General Election. At the moment, nothing's a given. You buys your ticket and you takes your chances. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Mon, 20 Feb 2012 6:17 pm

Looks like your answers made him nervous :wink:
Be careful what you wish for

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 21 Feb 2012 7:26 am

And if the gahmen here actually reads these forums, then they probably mirror them every single day for reference in case if situations like this.

I'd be nervous too, because I'm sure if I had 5 minutes in front of MOM's database I'd know exactly who he is. We know what him and his wife do, which pass they both have, their comparatively unique-for-Singapore racial identity, and that they both work for one of four firms well known for their profession.

Hell, someone slightly clever with access to the same database could probably figure it out just from what I said.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Feb 2012 8:02 am

I love Google's cached pages if you get there in time before the damned spiderbots crawl through the pages again. When a site gets as popular as this was is, the spiderbots are here continuously just about. Anyway, at least this thread isn't lost to posterity. But our friend's account as been.

:devil:

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”