Singapore Expats

Kuala Lumpur (KL) Expat Message Boards

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Harpua

Kuala Lumpur (KL) Expat Message Boards

Post by Harpua » Sat, 18 Feb 2012 4:04 pm

Hi All,

I am considering a move to Kuala Lumpur. I am looking for recommendations of their most active expat focused message boards so that I can post questions and review historical discussions to help me assess the move -- qualitative and quantitative.

Would you please recommend the best message board for me to focus on?

Thanks!

Harpua

Post by Harpua » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 4:04 pm

* bump *

Would be great if you knew of a KL-centric expat message board. Can you help?

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 4:17 pm

Best advice I can give is:

http://bit.ly/wioxYb

Forgive my skepticism, but it seems strange that you joined the forum over six years ago and these are your first two posts.
Be careful what you wish for

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular

Post by sweetgazebo » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:28 pm

If you google KL expats you will get a whole load of URLs

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 8:45 am

sweetgazebo wrote:If you google KL expats you will get a whole load of URLs
Indeed. Clicking on my link above does that (slightly different search terms, similar result). But it just seemed weird to me that the OP waited six years after joining to ask that question (twice).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 9:26 am

Maybe he was an avid reader and managed to find all of his answers to his questions in our archives. Our search engine is good if one uses it and after 8 years, there is a wealth of information in here. As long as he's not spamming I don't care. I'm glad he's found this board useful as a research tool. On the Angry board I remained anonymous, for around 3 years before I ever posted as well.

Additionally, there are those members here who have spend time in KL before coming to Singapore so they may have their views on the best boards up there, like Scoobydoes, for instance.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular

Post by sweetgazebo » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 11:11 am

Yeap!

Maybe he's found this forum useful after all and felt that after so long this was the only question he has.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 1:34 pm

Fair enough; it's probably (as the old song goes) just my suspicious mind :) .

Harpua

Post by Harpua » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:29 pm

Thanks for the tip to do a google search. I sometimes prefer other channels besides google for recommendations -- forum recommendations carry more weight with me.

About the time period, yes, that was my first post, and it was 7 years since I registered. Potential Scenario:

1. OP registered when first checking out Singapore as a potential place to live in 2005.

2. Then, OP moved and lived in Singapore for 5 years. During that time, OP ends up working a lot, meets new friends, and travels within the region -- where does not find a need to be active on this forum. However, OP does on occasion search through old posts for specific information (e.g., negotiating rental renewals, don't fall in love with the maid, etc.).

3. Then OP moved to another booming city in Asia for 2 years.

4. Then OP is considering a move back to Singapore or KL. OP recalls that there are many KL'ers living in Singapore, where thought a Singapore-based forum would be a reasonable place to start.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 1:40 pm

Soooo, aside from your two year sojourn away from Singapore, I was pretty close then. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers