Singapore Expats Forum

Accrued Annual Leave

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Sydney

Accrued Annual Leave

Postby Sydney » Thu, 02 Dec 2004 2:31 pm

Hi,

Today someone told me that in Singapore, accrued annual leave expires at the end of each year. That cannot possibly be true, can it? So if you have 10 days of annual leave which you haven't used in 2004, then from 2005 onwards, your employer no longer has an obligation to honour these accrued days.

In Australia, the leave continues to accrue until you either take it all or your employer pays you out. Please tell me this is the case in Singapore also!

Cheers, Sydney

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Fri, 03 Dec 2004 1:23 am

Not sure what the law says, but at least at my company accrued annual leave does roll over into the next year. Double-check your contract.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Fri, 03 Dec 2004 10:26 am

It depends on your Contract but in Singapore under standard contract your leave does expire - The company will inform you (should) a month before the end of the year that you need to take your leave. Under the Contract they must give you the time off but you can do a deal with your Manager to get a pay out if your work load to heavy to take a break...

Postby Guest » Fri, 03 Dec 2004 1:43 pm

Most companies in Singapore allow the maximum of a year of leave rolled-over to the next year. Check with your HR about their policy.