Singapore Expats Forum

Fluent English speaking Jobs

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

shrutikumar05
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 13 Feb 2012
Location: Delhi

Fluent English speaking Jobs

Postby shrutikumar05 » Mon, 13 Feb 2012 11:04 pm

With this I hope to take a little out of your time to introduce myself.

I am actively pursuing a public relations position in communications and the hospitality industry. I have been working in New York for the past four years and have acquired a number of transferable skills in the public relations,fashion, event planning, media, communication, advertising, marketing and entertainment industry in this period of time.

I believe I am perfectly suited to increase any business’s presence with my public relations and communications know-how, and at the same time I am ready to learn new skills as I grow and learn within the spheres of Hospitality, Media, Communications, Entertainment, Public Relations, Management.

I am currently looking for a position. I am not picky and believe in an attitude of service and modesty and relocated to New Delhi,India on the 24th of January 2012 . I am an Indian citizen by birth. I am willing to relocate to Singapore.

What are the Job prospects for me and what Multinational companies should I apply to?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 13 Feb 2012 11:27 pm

You'll be competing against the Filipinos for hospitality jobs and Singaporeans for the rest. And the Filipinos would have a hard time getting their work visas, given the political climate. Both groups moreover, command less pay than what you're probably accustomed to.

So, sorry but your chances are very slim.

shrutikumar05
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 13 Feb 2012
Location: Delhi

Postby shrutikumar05 » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 3:21 am

I dot understand why the conversation proceeded towards a price quote.

I never mentioned anything about it on the post. Thank you for the comment but all I ask is about English speaking jobs in reputed companies.

I would prefer if I could get some professional knowledge of reputed companies that hire English speaking individuals.

Thank you for the insight.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 4:33 am

Just a random thought.... how about the self-test for an S-Pass and see how you fair?

http://sat.mom.gov.sg/satservlet

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 8:43 am

shrutikumar05 wrote:I dot understand ........

I would prefer if I could get some professional knowledge of reputed companies that hire English speaking individuals.

Thank you for the insight.


I tink I understand.......

Honestly, if you want to know the truth, Singapore companies are a lot more stringent on hiring than New York. Reading your opening preamble and your last paragraph just confirms what we already know. Modesty? Your kidding, right? You do realize that Singapore is an English Speaking country, don't you? In fact, I'd almost be willing to bet a larger percentage of the citizenry here speak better English than what you will find in New York, percentage wise. So, you might very well have a problem selling yourself based on your English speaking skills. You are going to have to bring a lot more to the negotiating table than that.

The topic gravitated towards the price quote primarily because you have worked in the US, and therefore, will have an "entitlement" complex which we note is very prevalent from certain ethnic groups. The fact of the matter is, 4 years in the US doesn't change the way an employer here is going to view your CV. You will be looked as as just another Asian Job seeker and the pay scales will be adjusted for that fact. Not saying it's right, but it's reality. If you come here expecting to earn what you were making in the US, it's going to be a rude shock. What the posters are trying to do it to let you know that it's NOT New York. You know that? Well, the fact that you think you can sell yourself as an English Speaker speaks volumes about just how much you know about Singapore, so they are just giving you fair warning. Nothing more. Be thankful our readers are forthcoming with information. More information makes decisions a lot easier.

Now, you have two choices. The choices are yours. We are here to dispense information to whomever asks for it. It may not always be to their liking, but it's their prerogative to accept or reject it.

sms

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 8:43 am

Based on your response, I am guessing you are not looking into mere hotel/resort job and more into event management industry, right?

I'm trying to guess where you're coming from. In this industry, where overlaps into fashion, entertainment and other high-profile events, it is usually dominated by Singaporeans themselves and some notable foreign personality. And yes, reputation is very important, especially when it comes to running high-profile events.

I am not in this industry myself so I can't point you specific directions as in which 'MNC' to go to. Plus, most people I know in event management are actually not working for actual MNC event management companies, but MNCs that often hold high-profile events themselves.

But if you are who you say you are, first you need an established portfolio, detailing your works and your skills. Secondly, if you are really looking into 'MNC', you should ask your former employer in NY to give you recommendation. Reference and networks is very important in this industry too. Unless you are willing to work bottom up, which is sadly a common beginning here.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 9:21 am

shrutikumar05 wrote:I dot understand why the conversation proceeded towards a price quote.

I never mentioned anything about it on the post. Thank you for the comment but all I ask is about English speaking jobs in reputed companies.

I would prefer if I could get some professional knowledge of reputed companies that hire English speaking individuals.

Thank you for the insight.


The bottom line is you're asking how you'll get a job here. My reply is 'you probably won't and here's why.'

shrutikumar05
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 13 Feb 2012
Location: Delhi

Postby shrutikumar05 » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 12:44 pm

Alright! Where there is a will, there is a way.
I am looking at communication jobs in hotels,Businesses in singapore also.

It doesn't bother me if I have to work my way up from an assistant position, and it doesn't really matter if a company looks at me as a regular Asian person.

Its all about experience for me and discovering what works for myself.

I do not have entitlement issues so Money is not a problem.

Now! can I please get some names of good, reputed companies where I can grow and learn even if it is from the bottom of a hierarchy?

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon, 26 Dec 2011

Postby sweetgazebo » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 12:50 pm

ok where there's the will there's a way ... so says you ... good!

Now! you can start by helping yourself onto google and getting these names of reputed companies that you are demanding below!


shrutikumar05 wrote:Alright! Where there is a will, there is a way.

It doesn't bother me if I have to work my way up from an assistant position,

Now! can I please get some names of good, reputed companies where I can grow and learn even if it is from the bottom of a hierarchy?

shrutikumar05
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 13 Feb 2012
Location: Delhi

Postby shrutikumar05 » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 12:57 pm

well! the point of this forum was to help people and give advice from a Singapore point of view? wasn't it?... I am a newbie- yes! but that doesn't mean that being rude is going to get you places.

I wish you the best in all your endeavours.
Thank you for all the help and advice.

Have a good day.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 2:10 pm

You are absolutely right shrutikumar05. the point of this forum was to help people and give advice from a Singapore point of view. We have given you considerable advice and adviced you to use google. We give advice, we don't do your work for you. Big difference. You also have a good day. :roll:

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 3:18 pm

Whoa. We didn't even get a chance to find out if the OP has a MASTERS :twisted:
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 3:35 pm

I thought is was a pretty foregone conclusion, seeing he or she managed to secure a job in the US without being an IT geek. Probably got the job after finishing school. Had entitlement written all over the opening post.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 4:56 pm

shrutikumar05 wrote:
Now! can I please get some names of good, reputed companies where I can grow and learn even if it is from the bottom of a hierarchy?


You can try this company MS Enterprise Limited. They are known to take all sorts of characters. :cool: :cool:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon, 19 Sep 2011
Location: Your Closet

Postby YankStuckinSuiss » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 5:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
shrutikumar05 wrote:I dot understand ........

I would prefer if I could get some professional knowledge of reputed companies that hire English speaking individuals.

Thank you for the insight.


I tink I understand.......

Honestly, if you want to know the truth, Singapore companies are a lot more stringent on hiring than New York. Reading your opening preamble and your last paragraph just confirms what we already know. Modesty? Your kidding, right? You do realize that Singapore is an English Speaking country, don't you? In fact, I'd almost be willing to bet a larger percentage of the citizenry here speak better English than what you will find in New York, percentage wise. So, you might very well have a problem selling yourself based on your English speaking skills. You are going to have to bring a lot more to the negotiating table than that.

The topic gravitated towards the price quote primarily because you have worked in the US, and therefore, will have an "entitlement" complex which we note is very prevalent from certain ethnic groups. The fact of the matter is, 4 years in the US doesn't change the way an employer here is going to view your CV. You will be looked as as just another Asian Job seeker and the pay scales will be adjusted for that fact. Not saying it's right, but it's reality. If you come here expecting to earn what you were making in the US, it's going to be a rude shock. What the posters are trying to do it to let you know that it's NOT New York. You know that? Well, the fact that you think you can sell yourself as an English Speaker speaks volumes about just how much you know about Singapore, so they are just giving you fair warning. Nothing more. Be thankful our readers are forthcoming with information. More information makes decisions a lot easier.

Now, you have two choices. The choices are yours. We are here to dispense information to whomever asks for it. It may not always be to their liking, but it's their prerogative to accept or reject it.

sms


This is a side question and I apologize if it is too far off topic SMS...but I wonder how this will shake out for me.

I am American.

However I am an black American, will a company wanting to hire me pay me at the rate they think some Nigerian deserves due to race? No one in my family is from subSahara Africa we have been in the U.S. longer than most white ethnics who are nonAnglo...but I know "this is Asia"...
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

-George Bernard Shaw


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests