Singapore Expats Forum

By bus from Thailand to Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

IOP
Regular
Regular
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat, 21 Aug 2010

By bus from Thailand to Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar

Postby IOP » Mon, 13 Feb 2012 11:25 am

Hi Guys, is it possible to see Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar by bus from Bangkok?
We want to fly to Bangkok and travel on wheels to the rest of the countries.


Thanks.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Mon, 13 Feb 2012 11:33 am

Yes you can. But only Bangkok - Cambodia - Laos. For Myanmar you have to double back to Bangkok and start from there.

IOP
Regular
Regular
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat, 21 Aug 2010

Postby IOP » Mon, 13 Feb 2012 1:21 pm

the lynx wrote:Yes you can. But only Bangkok - Cambodia - Laos. For Myanmar you have to double back to Bangkok and start from there.


Thanks, but how I may book the bus being in Singapore?

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Mon, 13 Feb 2012 3:52 pm

Yes you can but I won't be able to advise you which bus companies are reliable to handle your advance booking.

From my encounters in my backpacking days, it makes much sense (and it is fun) to just go there and book. That way you have the information spread out in front of you to decide which bus, which seat and how much.

I heard too many stories of fellow backpackers who booked in advance only to be met with disappointment (and more money slipped away).

Read up Tripadvisor website. Loads of first-hand information.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9252
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 13 Feb 2012 4:43 pm

the lynx wrote:Yes you can but I won't be able to advise you which bus companies are reliable to handle your advance booking.

From my encounters in my backpacking days, it makes much sense (and it is fun) to just go there and book. That way you have the information spread out in front of you to decide which bus, which seat and how much.

I heard too many stories of fellow backpackers who booked in advance only to be met with disappointment (and more money slipped away).

Read up Tripadvisor website. Loads of first-hand information.


I did a trip up to Hatyai, driving up from KL with some Malaysian friends .. and I was tempted to take the SIN-BKK bus ...

ah well, booked the bus, and then the 'sunny south of Land of Smiles' sort of went up in smokes with the violence .. and no refund .. NO REFUND .. !!!

That was in 2006 !

The plan then was to do the same, head to BKK and then run to other places .. but, try as we may, we could never get a confirmation for any busses from BKK !

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Mon, 13 Feb 2012 4:56 pm

ecureilx wrote:
the lynx wrote:Yes you can but I won't be able to advise you which bus companies are reliable to handle your advance booking.

From my encounters in my backpacking days, it makes much sense (and it is fun) to just go there and book. That way you have the information spread out in front of you to decide which bus, which seat and how much.

I heard too many stories of fellow backpackers who booked in advance only to be met with disappointment (and more money slipped away).

Read up Tripadvisor website. Loads of first-hand information.


I did a trip up to Hatyai, driving up from KL with some Malaysian friends .. and I was tempted to take the SIN-BKK bus ...

ah well, booked the bus, and then the 'sunny south of Land of Smiles' sort of went up in smokes with the violence .. and no refund .. NO REFUND .. !!!

That was in 2006 !

The plan then was to do the same, head to BKK and then run to other places .. but, try as we may, we could never get a confirmation for any busses from BKK !


Hence my suggestion for OP to go there and buy the ticket directly.
OP, you can always get a bus from Bangkok to say, Siem Reap (a common route through Cambodia and then Laos).


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Need advice about crossing borders: Vietnam-Laos-Cambodia
    by vink2 » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 11:34 am » in General Discussions
    18
    5141
    by JR8 View the latest post
    Fri, 25 Jan 2013 7:36 pm
  • Bus does not stop at Bus Stop
    by martincymru » Mon, 16 Jun 2014 4:04 pm » in General Discussions
    3
    1934
    by MartinSmith View the latest post
    Tue, 17 Jun 2014 10:05 pm
  • LAOS - travel advice
    by AjitS » Sat, 15 Sep 2012 4:27 pm » in General Discussions
    2
    2400
    by the lynx View the latest post
    Fri, 07 Jun 2013 11:40 am
  • 4 days in Laos - itinery suggestions please
    by The Ref » Mon, 11 Feb 2013 9:47 pm » in Travel & Holidays
    6
    4470
    by JR8 View the latest post
    Fri, 07 Jun 2013 12:38 pm
  • Visa to Myanmar
    by vink2 » Tue, 09 Apr 2013 8:01 pm » in General Discussions
    13
    3594
    by nakatago View the latest post
    Fri, 12 Apr 2013 4:27 pm

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests