Singapore Expats Forum

to marry or not to marry

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

marry

to marry or not to marry

Postby marry » Mon, 29 Mar 2004 9:54 pm

Hi all,

My boyfriend will be assigned to Singapore by his employer. I would very much like to join him as his dependant. Is this possible, not being married, or do we need to be married?

Postby Guest » Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:15 pm

you can still stay in singapore as a "tourist" with a stated pre-defined numbers of days here, usually we call it "visit pass" and it can be extended with terms and conditions applied. It is independent which does not tag to your boyfriend and you need not be married. If you need more info on how to extend or stay here longer with your boyfriend, email me financial_mgt@yahoo.com.sg. Hsu Hsia

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:29 pm

Anonymous wrote:you can still stay in singapore as a "tourist" with a stated pre-defined numbers of days here, usually we call it "visit pass" and it can be extended with terms and conditions applied. It is independent which does not tag to your boyfriend and you need not be married.

Yes, but normal visit passes are issued for 15-30 days and you can only renew them so many times before that immigration gets suspicious. The Singapore version of a dependent visa is a "Long-Term Social Visit Pass", and for this you do need to be a common-law spouse (or otherwise related). More info here:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/MOM/CDA/0,1858,12 ... --,00.html

marry

To marry or not to marry

Postby marry » Wed, 31 Mar 2004 4:30 pm

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll be going to the chapel soon!

DespeRuth

Postby DespeRuth » Thu, 01 Apr 2004 5:04 pm

No need!

Ask your country's embassy to give you a statement that you are "common law married" to you boyfriend - it all depends on the different embassies if they'll do it. Bring official papers stating how long you've lived together, if shared ownership/lease etc for the embassy.

We got such a statement from our embassy, based on the fact that we had lived together for 1,5 years and co-owned the apt we lived in back home.

With this statement in hand, I finally got a LTSVP (Long Term Social Visit Pass) for 12 months - and I didnt have to get married for the wrong reasons!!

PS - You can only get the LTSVP while in Singapore, so you start up with a normal tourist visa (might need to extend it while waiting for the LTSVP to go through).

Sam

Postby Sam » Mon, 31 May 2004 8:38 pm

You don't need to get married to stay in Singapore. I was issued with a long term social visitors pass based on being in a defacto relationshio. If you can organise to get the paperwork done in your own country, this will save you alot of money as the embassies here will charge you something like $36 to get a statement signed by a Justice of the Peace.

Try not to get married for the wrong reason because if you come to Singapore and don't like it, the you're stuck.

Re: To marry or not to marry

Postby Guest » Thu, 03 Jun 2004 3:07 pm

marry wrote:Thanks for the info. I guess I'll be going to the chapel soon!

You hope :shock:

Marry

Postby Marry » Mon, 07 Jun 2004 5:28 pm

Thanks for all your responses. I did some research and it turns out that if we register ourselfes as legal partners in our home country, that this qualifies as 'marriage'. So that's what were gonna do.

lucy

Postby lucy » Fri, 18 Jun 2004 2:56 pm

You can obtain an extension of social pass by going to the immigration department at Kallang ( ICA bldg ) they will be able to extend every 2 weeks max 3 mths

Cherio