Singapore Expats Forum

Excessive Maid Culture

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 3:35 pm

the lynx wrote:Well this is the land of cheap foreign labour after all. And it is even cheaper to have a stay-in maid than to have a part-time one coming in on intervals.


You been to the Emirates yeah ?

Anybody coming from Dubai has no good word about Singapore .. no driver, no maid, no nanny, no 'assistant' ..

Singapore is miles away, comparing Dubai ..

Oh, wait, even in Malaysia, maids are cheaper .. and cost much lesser than here - across the causeway.

User avatar
mummy mantras
Regular
Regular
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon, 21 Mar 2011

Postby mummy mantras » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 11:02 pm

ecureilx wrote:You been to the Emirates yeah ?

Anybody coming from Dubai has no good word about Singapore .. no driver, no maid, no nanny, no 'assistant' ..

Singapore is miles away, comparing Dubai ..

Oh, wait, even in Malaysia, maids are cheaper .. and cost much lesser than here - across the causeway.


True... true...

I met one pampered expat wife who (recognising me as a fellow Brit) started to complain about her maid and how much she had had to spend on her maid's insurance (an MOM requirement), and how she had gotten a letter from MOM instructing her to attend a course on how to better communicate with her Foreign Domestic Worker (i.e. a 'maid' in bureaucratese) after she had hired and fired (or rather terminated and repatriated) three in a row in less than a month after finding them "incompetent and lazy"!

She rolled her eyes at the indignity of it and pointed out that "In Dubai, I could have hired and fired a hundred maids, and nobody could have cared less! What the heck, I could have killed the lot of them, and nobody would have even bothered to question me let alone ask me to go for some stupid [Actually, she used another adjective, but I wanted to keep this posting suitable for all ages! :wink: ] class!"

At this point, I strongly contemplated removing her from our gene pool...

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5266
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 11:08 pm

*tsk tsk tsk*

Shame, no sense of decent regard to a fellow human being. This kind of person should have been killed instead so ensure that no such progeny of her kind to wander around and taint the surface of this earth.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 11:27 pm

mummy mantras wrote:At this point, I strongly contemplated removing her from our gene pool...


Now, if you can just give me her coordinates...

Image

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 8:54 am

mummy mantras wrote:
ecureilx wrote:You been to the Emirates yeah ?

Anybody coming from Dubai has no good word about Singapore .. no driver, no maid, no nanny, no 'assistant' ..

Singapore is miles away, comparing Dubai ..

Oh, wait, even in Malaysia, maids are cheaper .. and cost much lesser than here - across the causeway.


True... true...

I met one pampered expat wife who (recognising me as a fellow Brit) started to complain about her maid and how much she had had to spend on her maid's insurance (an MOM requirement), and how she had gotten a letter from MOM instructing her to attend a course on how to better communicate with her Foreign Domestic Worker (i.e. a 'maid' in bureaucratese) after she had hired and fired (or rather terminated and repatriated) three in a row in less than a month after finding them "incompetent and lazy"!

She rolled her eyes at the indignity of it and pointed out that "In Dubai, I could have hired and fired a hundred maids, and nobody could have cared less! What the heck, I could have killed the lot of them, and nobody would have even bothered to question me let alone ask me to go for some stupid [Actually, she used another adjective, but I wanted to keep this posting suitable for all ages! :wink: ] class!"

At this point, I strongly contemplated removing her from our gene pool...


and the Brits call Americans obnoxious :D

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 9:00 am

zzm9980 wrote:and the Brits call Americans obnoxious :D


No, it's

Americans = uncouth
British = snooty

Get your international stereotypes straight!

:P

:cool:

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 9:17 am

nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:and the Brits call Americans obnoxious :D


No, it's

Americans = uncouth
British = snooty

Get your international stereotypes straight!

:P

:cool:


I don't think "uncouth" is a real word in American English, so I'll just ignore that! :P

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34785
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:41 am

I wonder what a couth person is like? :lol:

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Postby poodlek » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:20 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I wonder what a couth person is like? :lol:


You'll never know :P

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34785
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 12:11 pm

Probably not. If'n I ain't met one yet I don't reckon I ever will. :wink:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest