Singapore Expats Forum

S Pass medical examination

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

stong
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 08 Feb 2012

S Pass medical examination

Postby stong » Wed, 08 Feb 2012 10:09 am

Hi All, I'm a work permit holder and just get the in-principle approval letter for s pass and i need to go for HIV and chest x-ray test. But the problem is i may pregnant now and still under work permit. does it affect for my s pass apply??? hope can get from the answer from you all. thanks a lot.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35120
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Feb 2012 10:48 am

Doesn't matter much one way or the other does it? What are you going to do? Become unpregnant? Just go and hope.

stong
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 08 Feb 2012

Postby stong » Wed, 08 Feb 2012 12:18 pm

Thx sms reply promptly....does mean i can still continue to go for medical examination...and it wont affect anything due to i'm still holding a work permit right? because i found from website...no pregnant test for S pass application but if prenant then cant do for the chest x-ray. so i must check clearly before go medical examination.

vnpan
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu, 29 Sep 2011
Location: Singapore

Postby vnpan » Wed, 08 Feb 2012 3:30 pm

Hi OP,

It doesn't matter at all. Just go ahead to the medical exam and remember to inform the doctor that you are pregnant, usually, pregnant people will be exempted from X-ray checkup.

Hope it helps.
To Be or Not To Be

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 08 Feb 2012 3:50 pm

vnpan wrote:Hi OP,

It doesn't matter at all. Just go ahead to the medical exam and remember to inform the doctor that you are pregnant, usually, pregnant people will be exempted from X-ray checkup.

Hope it helps.


Yep, you should worry more about your employer, if your employer will drop you during your probation period ..

Do you have a probation period ?

Oh, your employer need to notify MOM .. as per MOM guidelines ..
Last edited by ecureilx on Wed, 08 Feb 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skylogger
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri, 06 Jun 2008
Location: singapore

Postby Skylogger » Wed, 08 Feb 2012 5:15 pm

Yup,

your employer have to notify the MOM n as far as i know, u will be exempted for taking the chest X-ray. You will have to indicate it in your forms that you get.

stong
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 08 Feb 2012

Postby stong » Wed, 08 Feb 2012 5:56 pm

Thx all...i'm still under same employer...just is change work permit to s pass....n i found i'm pregnant during apply s pass dats y i so worried about the issue...

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 08 Feb 2012 6:37 pm

stong wrote:Thx all...i'm still under same employer...just is change work permit to s pass....n i found i'm pregnant during apply s pass dats y i so worried about the issue...


work-pass -> s-pass ? I don't think my advice holds ..

SMS could advice you properly on this ..

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Wed, 08 Feb 2012 11:19 pm

ecureilx wrote:
stong wrote:Thx all...i'm still under same employer...just is change work permit to s pass....n i found i'm pregnant during apply s pass dats y i so worried about the issue...


work-pass -> s-pass ? I don't think my advice holds ..

SMS could advice you properly on this ..


No. There is no need for medical examination if it is just an update from a lower work pass to a higher work pass, by the same employer.

Just process the papers and go to the appointment as instructed by MOM.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35120
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Feb 2012 9:35 am

I would normally concur........

However, if it's a lateral transfer to a related subsidiary in order to upgrade due to quota limitations, yes, you might be required to have a medical. This I know for fact as I just had a male staff (Malaysian Chinese) who's been with me for 5 years and we just upgraded him to an S pass (on 1 Feb) but had to transfer him to one of our sister companies due to quota reasons. He had to get a physical. In our case all companies operate within the same office and administrative employees handle business for all the companies. She would have to be careful that it isn't one of those types of situations....Most of our employees don't even realize which company they are employed by unless they need a "To Whom it May concern" letter for a Gahmen Agency or Bank or whatever.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Thu, 09 Feb 2012 10:10 am

Yes you are right. But even with same company address?

Just a side question since we are on this topic, we all know that WP holders are not supposed to marry Singaporean citizens and PRs. But what about getting pregnant? Does the rule apply as well or only for foreign domestic helpers?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 09 Feb 2012 10:45 am

the lynx wrote:Just a side question since we are on this topic, we all know that WP holders are not supposed to marry Singaporean citizens and PRs. But what about getting pregnant? Does the rule apply as well or only for foreign domestic helpers?


to answer part of your question: No rule says WP holders aren't allowed to marry Singaporeans or PRs - it is just that if they do it without MOM approval, they can forget about getting any form of long term / pr / citizenship

Of course, more than a few Singaporeans / PRs have married to WP holders and the other halfs do stay put in their own country .. with an occasional visit here .. or the spouse visiting them ..

In fact, my former employer's personal driver is married to a Maid, from Indonesia, who had been stamped something like "no entry for the next x number of years .. " when all the attempts to get Long term for the wife failed and she was doing visa run. Now she must have each visit approved by ICA ..

And another, who served in the police force, married a maid, ditto .. so the wife lives in Indonesia and husband visits her once in a while .. and the wife gets like not more than 2 visits a year to Singapore ..

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Thu, 09 Feb 2012 11:03 am

ecureilx wrote:
the lynx wrote:Just a side question since we are on this topic, we all know that WP holders are not supposed to marry Singaporean citizens and PRs. But what about getting pregnant? Does the rule apply as well or only for foreign domestic helpers?


to answer part of your question: No rule says WP holders aren't allowed to marry Singaporeans or PRs - it is just that if they do it without MOM approval, they can forget about getting any form of long term / pr / citizenship

Of course, more than a few Singaporeans / PRs have married to WP holders and the other halfs do stay put in their own country .. with an occasional visit here .. or the spouse visiting them ..

In fact, my former employer's personal driver is married to a Maid, from Indonesia, who had been stamped something like "no entry for the next x number of years .. " when all the attempts to get Long term for the wife failed and she was doing visa run. Now she must have each visit approved by ICA ..

And another, who served in the police force, married a maid, ditto .. so the wife lives in Indonesia and husband visits her once in a while .. and the wife gets like not more than 2 visits a year to Singapore ..


Ah, my bad. Yes, they do require approval from MOM before marrying Singaporean citizens or PRs... I forgot that bit.

The reason I popped this question is because I remember accompanying a new WP holder to Tg Pagar Work Pass Division centre around 2 years ago. While waiting for him to have his papers processed, there were TVs all around the hall, showing various videos on rules and regulations concerning WP.

In one of the videos, there was the one concerning FDWs (or was it WP generally?) and one of the highlighted rules was that she is not allowed to be pregnant during her tenure under WP here.

Hence my question. :???:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35120
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Feb 2012 12:24 pm

I believe that is primarily for FWD's but I could be mistaken. Let me see what I can find.....


.....I am mistaken. Goes for ALL female WP holders unless already married to a Citizen or PR...

Employment of Foreign Manpower Act
(Chapter 91A)

PART IV
CONDITIONS TO BE COMPLIED WITH BY FOREIGN EMPLOYEE

Conduct

9. If the foreign employee is a female foreign employee, the foreign employee shall not become pregnant or deliver any child in Singapore during and after the validity period of her Work Permit, unless she is a Work
Permit holder who is already married to a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident with the approval of the
Controller.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Thu, 09 Feb 2012 1:20 pm

... then I am concerned for the OP...

OP, are you "already married to a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident with the approval of the Controller"?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests