Uh oh, whatever will people do...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Post Reply
User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6869
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Uh oh, whatever will people do...

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 07 Feb 2012 10:09 am

...when they have to start treating their maids as more than unwanted personal property? :o

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... _LeadStory

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8358
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: Uh oh, whatever will people do...

Post by nakatago » Tue, 07 Feb 2012 10:56 am

zzm9980 wrote:...when they have to start treating their maids as more than unwanted personal property? :o

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... _LeadStory
Labor exporting countries should start talking to one another about all this. If the OPEC can practically hold the world hostage...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2319
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 5:22 pm
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 07 Feb 2012 11:28 am

The local newspaper will be full of letters once this gets out I imagine.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9915
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Tue, 07 Feb 2012 12:57 pm

Still this is a supply and demand market. If people could not afford a maid there will be less demand for them and more demand on their quality. The maids are so popular here because they are cheap. There are no other significant factors justifying the demand (maybe except some cultural inertia). Likely a double edged sword situation.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6869
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 07 Feb 2012 4:38 pm

x9200 wrote:Still this is a supply and demand market. If people could not afford a maid there will be less demand for them and more demand on their quality. The maids are so popular here because they are cheap. There are no other significant factors justifying the demand (maybe except some cultural inertia). Likely a double edged sword situation.
If the gahmen has anything to worry about next GE, this will be the issue to unite the people behind the opposition.. "We want our cheap domestic helpers!!" :P

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5281
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 07 Feb 2012 5:21 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
x9200 wrote:Still this is a supply and demand market. If people could not afford a maid there will be less demand for them and more demand on their quality. The maids are so popular here because they are cheap. There are no other significant factors justifying the demand (maybe except some cultural inertia). Likely a double edged sword situation.
If the gahmen has anything to worry about next GE, this will be the issue to unite the people behind the opposition.. "We want our cheap domestic helpers!!" :P
Tsk tsk tsk...

These people. Only supporting whichever cause that is the most convenient and that can provide 'short-term/immediate' satisfaction...

I will not be surprised if the voters swing their votes like Tarzan when this issue gets heralded.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests