Singapore Expats Forum

4 weeks and I'm making the jump

New here? Don't be shy. Introduce yourself here and expand your social network!
punts

4 weeks and I'm making the jump

Postby punts » Mon, 06 Feb 2012 6:14 am

Hi everyone hows it going?

As the title suggests I'm moving to Singapore in 4 weeks and starting to get a little apprehensive I guess. I was working In Singapore last year for a few months and also had a few holidays. It has always been the one place I have wanted to live since.

Due to my work it now doesn't matter where i live so taking the opportunity to give it a go.

Booked my ticket, told my family, friends, organised a leaving party and getting excited but at the same time still bricking it if I'm honest. The only thing that makes me apprehensive is meeting a good bunch of mates. I won't be working in Singapore so meeting people through work is out of the window. I have a rotational job in Azerbaijan so means i will be working there for a month then back in Singapore for a month and so on. I have always found it takes a long time to be able to get to meet new people because I am not consistently around all the time.

Open for any advice really or words of wisdom, a bit about me, Im a 27 year old guy from the north of England although never really stayed there that long since 17. Into all the usual stuff, into my sports both playing and watching, football, rugby, golf, squash. Like a drink and going clubbing, into my music and going to gigs, travelling.

Nothing out of the ordinary, I know i will meet people because I'm not a nutter but will just take time. I want to make my move successful and know that the one thing that will make that work is mates so any advice is appreciated. Also if anyone has any advice on accommodation then give me a shout also as still trying to decide what the best thing to do is, i want to have one fixed place i can go back to with all my stuff there and have a normal home but I'm only there half the time anyway due to my work in Azerbaijan so not sure.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Feb 2012 7:01 am

I worked for 20 years in the O & G industry. Been there, done that. But that was 2 decades ago. I've been here 30 years now.

The biggest question has to be, where will you be paid from, where is your parent company's offices? Here in Singapore? If not, you can only live here on a tourist visa. after about the third rotation, even though you may well get 90 days each time you enter, eventually, they will know that you are homesteading without legal visa to do so. You will not be able to rent a place legally, and will have to stay in hostels, backpackers hotels or regular hotels (or serviced hotels which are considerably higher.

Without a residency visa, things will not have any semblance of permanancy. So, be sure you look and the legal aspects of this before you leap. Things are a lot difference than when I was in the industry 20 years ago when they hadn't figured it out yet.

Good luck.

punts

Postby punts » Mon, 06 Feb 2012 7:25 am

Thanks for the reply, I will certainly look into that side of it more.

I will be paid from Houston and working in Azerbaijan. I work through an agency and the agency has offices in both the UK, Azerbaijan and Singapore. When I was working in Singapore last year I effectively swapped agencies and got my work card through them so I guess it wouldn't not be hard to do the same. Changing hats so to speak. In that respect I don't think it matters which one I'm employed through for them, everything stayed the same last time but i just spoke to a different person, seamless almost.

I will ask more about it this week and make sure. Either way I'm determined to make something work.

punts

Postby punts » Mon, 06 Feb 2012 9:17 pm

Ive just got in contact with the office in Singapore, I dont think it is a problem to change my office, it was easily done last time. i still have my employment pass and my employer is listed as the agency i work for rather than the project i was on or the company who i really work for. :-) Its all smoke and mirrors.

Ok so obvioulsy I want to do everything legally as I do see this as a permanant move and have been sick of feeling like I have been living in limbo. As you can imagine with your experience working in the O & G industry it is not the best thing in the world to be living out of a bag in different countries and hotels all the time.

Anyway that all being said, you mentioned that it would be picked up if I was coming through just on a tourist visa all the time and with the pattern of a rotation etc. How long realistically would it take and what are the consequences, I have two passports so I presume I could use both seperately.

Mods can remove this if they want to but i genuinely am for the first part coming in as a tourist and more than likely staying in hotels or Serviced Apartments for a while till i find my feet. I am merely looking at contingency if i takes me a while to sort out other things.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Feb 2012 10:20 pm

If you are working for an Agency in Singapore and they are getting you a work visa, EP, S or PEP pass, then you don't really have a problem except for possibly the fact that your income earned outside of Singapore isn't taxable to Singapore so the agency doesn't require a work visa. It would be interesting to see how the are handling it now days. Let me know when you get it ironed out as my daughter is currently working on a Maersk double derrick semisub off the Ivory Coast (been on the rig since her launch about a year or so ago here from KepFels Shipyard here in Singapore). She's the rig Administrator. But as she is a Singaporean she doesn't have a problem with visas.

Keep in touch.