Singapore Expats Forum

A Gathering of Eagles Redux!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
aster
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Postby aster » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 11:38 am

nutnut wrote:
x9200 wrote:BTW, is the place serving Thai food or the Thai food for Angmohs?



Thai food, cooked by Thai chefs, apparently very authentic according to a friend of mine who took his Thai friends there on a trip over to Singapore.

I have not yet been to Thailand so cannot advise, but I like it.


Actually one of the hardest places to find decent Thai food at... is Thailand itself (obviously the places that tourists flock to). :) I've had much better luck with Thai food in several other countries...

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 12:56 pm

aster wrote:
nutnut wrote:
x9200 wrote:BTW, is the place serving Thai food or the Thai food for Angmohs?



Thai food, cooked by Thai chefs, apparently very authentic according to a friend of mine who took his Thai friends there on a trip over to Singapore.

I have not yet been to Thailand so cannot advise, but I like it.


Actually one of the hardest places to find decent Thai food at... is Thailand itself (obviously the places that tourists flock to). :) I've had much better luck with Thai food in several other countries...

This is exactly the problem. I know some places in Bangkok only because a friend of mine lived there for a while, but for example, the food we got in Koh Phi Phi was a disaster - we did not manage to find a single restaurant that served it as spicy as it should be.
So it's better be good as my favorite Indian-Nepalese restaurant Shish Mahal is just round the corner at the Albert Court and they serve more beer types and wine too :P

User avatar
aster
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Postby aster » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 2:04 pm

x9200 wrote:This is exactly the problem. I know some places in Bangkok only because a friend of mine lived there for a while, but for example, the food we got in Koh Phi Phi was a disaster - we did not manage to find a single restaurant that served it as spicy as it should be.


I went to Phuket for just over a week and didn't find a single place serving decent Thai food. It was ridiculous, really...

Went to Bali and the first Thai place that caught my attention ended up being absolutely brilliant. :)

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 2:44 pm

Listen to the Roux brothers setting the culinary world to rights......

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 3:00 pm

Somebody has to make this effort and as your weekly (self)demand to produce one meaningful post was apparently fulfilled within the
Careers & Jobs in Singapore forum, well here we go.

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Postby poodlek » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:22 am

I have no baby sitter :-( So I wouldn't be able to get there before 10pm and I'm not sure it's worth it. Alas- I was looking forward to some delicious Thai food! (and good company of course...) See you guys next time!

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:45 am

Sorry you aren't coming poodle, next time!
nutnut

User avatar
aster
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Postby aster » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:32 am

More or less what time will people start showing up today?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:37 am

I reckon around 7:30ish on. I'll probably be there round about that time or maybe a wee bit before as I'm not working today (at least not at my job anyway).

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:38 am

7.30-8.00pm.....

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:44 am

Same here.

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 12:04 pm

Prolly about 8 ish.
nutnut

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 2:50 pm

I have (as always) fed back information in regards to the event this evening, Phad Thai takes suggestions seriously and as such they have specifically managed to secure some additional beers for tonight (these will become regular too), I have been advised that Sol and Tiger have been added to the Singha and they are all chilling for this evening currently, they will be ready before the first people around 7pm.
nutnut

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 5:33 pm

Sorry, gents (and ladies if there are others aside from poodlek who said they're coming), can't make it tonight.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 5:57 pm

nakatago wrote:Sorry, gents (and ladies if there are others aside from poodlek who said they're coming), can't make it tonight.

Is it the tiger beer nutnut mentioned?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests