Singapore Expats Forum

short term visit pass rejected

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
amaia26

short term visit pass rejected

Postby amaia26 » Thu, 02 Feb 2012 11:10 pm

hi everyone :)

My bf is south african and came to singapore to be with me, he's waitintg to hear from a job offer and also looking for work, we always knew we had 30 days visit pass and that we could do the extension that seems to be very normal and easy..to our surprise today his short term extension visa was declined!!!!
has this happened to anyone...is it normal..?

bottom line my question for the experts out there is...he has 7 days left to stay in singapore, do u think its ok for u to exit this weekend and come back and he will either get 30 day more, or not and will still have to leave or u think any possibilities he will even be rejected entry???

plz help us if you can with any insight or previsou experinecd we really just need 30 more days ......

thank u in advance!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Feb 2012 11:22 pm

Best thing he can do is go back to S.Africa, to tell the truth. That or stay out of Singapore for at least 5 days before returning. (There is not guarantee that he'll be allowed back in though although normally they would but give him 3-7 days to move on.):

amaia26

Postby amaia26 » Thu, 02 Feb 2012 11:30 pm

thank you for your reply..
so..even though he has 7 days left on his short term social visa, do u think they can still not allow him back in singapore....after a weekedn out in thailand for example....?
any reason as to why u think a extension was declined..is it seems to be so common....? just seems very odd for us..as i hear everyone applies fro extend visa.....

voxies09

Postby voxies09 » Thu, 02 Feb 2012 11:51 pm

if ur extend it online, you still can go to ICA building for extension; unless you went there and it was rejected.. you can try to go to Thailand in week end and come again; some people did success to get 1 more month

amaia26

Postby amaia26 » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 12:49 am

but it clearly says if i applyed online and asked for extension once i cannot do it again...

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 2:10 am

The rejection means there is something that makes the authorities want him not to stay in Singapore longer.
This something is not going away by visiting Thailand for a weekend.
He is most likely to face problems on return, or at least get only a short stay, after which he definitely has to leave Singapore for longer (i.e. months).

amaia26

Postby amaia26 » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 2:31 am

..i see..and it could possibly be to do with where he is from, south africa, we wonder if that is the case...so even if we go away possibilities may be he will get 2 /3 days to get out of singapore......but do guys think it could be they coudl actually reject him to enter singapore.....?

but in anormal circusntamce he coudl just be a tourist visitng south east asia...i mean isint this done by so many travelers and whom chose singapore as the hub for that to hop from one place to another

Also on the his records does it say he applyed for extended visa and it got declined is that seem on immigration poin ton his record??

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 2:38 am

Tourists don't stay in Singapore for months. It is clear that he has other reasons for being here, and if ICA suspects those reasons to be illegitimate they simply don't give a visa.
All checkpoints have full database access and can see his complete visa history.
If he shows a flight ticket to return to his country within a week or two, he will most likely get the visa for that time. Without return ticket, he might not be allowed to enter Singapore.

amaia26

Postby amaia26 » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 3:40 am

i see...so you think they can see in his record that he applied for an extension and got rejected....
he does have a flight back booked for april.... so even if we do go away for the weekend no garante that he wil be allowed him, he could actually just get the days h has left to leave singapore......
uau...singapore do ake this hard.......

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 5:11 am

Hi Amaia, yes everything is computerised and networked. So at any point of entry they will see the totality of someone's entire records.

I don't know what the usual rules are for SAFR's, but unfortunately they don't seem to like this dude's stripe.

Maybe he should go away for a week or two and discover SCUBA or golf or something. Imagining they let him back in, then I think he might consider that subsequent pass/visa his final casual shot before applying for something more formal.

Good luck.

voxies09

Postby voxies09 » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 9:00 am

amaia26 wrote:but it clearly says if i applyed online and asked for extension once i cannot do it again...

2 years ago, my gf (then wife) 's online SV extension was rejected also, I called ICA and they said I can go to ICA building for extension and I did that and get the extension.. May be the rule was changed.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 9:24 am

voxies09 wrote:
amaia26 wrote:but it clearly says if i applyed online and asked for extension once i cannot do it again...

2 years ago, my gf (then wife) 's online SV extension was rejected also, I called ICA and they said I can go to ICA building for extension and I did that and get the extension.. May be the rule was changed.

yes, nowadays, if there is online visa rejection, going there is person can get you days at the most .. as I have seen .. other may differ though ..

vnpan

Postby vnpan » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 9:42 am

Hi OP,

I saw a similar case from my friend, she's a LTVP holder (husband is Singaporean), she got rejected when applying extension for her mom's Visit Pass. Later on, she went to ICA and applied again, and finally they approved it. Frankly, you can try, it would be easier if a relative sponsors to extend the social visit pass.

Hope it helps.
To Be or Not To Be

amaia26

Postby amaia26 » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 10:03 am

hi guys - thank you so much for all your feedback - i spoke to ica today and yes iots worth a shoot going down there today with a sponsor and yes also stayin gout for 5/6 days is a good ideia and try to come back does seem to be the best options !

thank you so much will keep you posted of the outcome - now need to finda sponsor! ...:/