Singapore Expats Forum

Does anybody know a place to enjoy Rock music?

New here? Don't be shy. Introduce yourself here and expand your social network!
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 10:56 am

chuckd wrote:I did find an interesting place last night, was on my way out of Chijmes and heard some Pearl Jam blaring from one corner, live band...but I'm not gonna complain too much. Can't remember the name of the bar but it was just beyond the Hog's Breath Cafe. Don't know what the place is like on other nights, but last night seemed pretty good and the staff gave me the impression that the follow a similar kind of genre most nights of the week. And the prices were very reasonable as well.....at least for Chijmes, $6.60 for a mug of Tiger.....

I'm guessing you're a big Dandy Warhols fan?? :)

If you are referring to the "open bar" at the first floor, at the opposite end from Hogs Breath, it is Insomnia .. .. sorry, I am not aware of the 'genre' of music they play .. :) After all, musically I am dumb as a door knob .. :)

AngelJoy
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Does anybody know a place to enjoy Rock music?

Postby AngelJoy » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 2:15 pm

nakatago wrote:
sodapop wrote:Hi,

Just moved from Tokyo last week, searching for a place I can enjoy rock music either live or CDs. Your tips are welcome! 8-)

Try searching for posts by AngelJoy for gigs as she seems to be in the loop. Some pubs and 'clubs' sometimes have local talent that will play rock music but you have to know the right people for those. International acts, usually can be booked through sistic (see their website for available acts and for ticket bookings as well).

Otherwise, you'd have to settle like most of us do--the internet*

*internet radio, mp3 purchases, buying CDs online, etc.

hahah,thanks for mentioning me.

yeah,latest gig is Kasabian/The Vaccines then Laneway Fest.

chuckd
Regular
Regular

Postby chuckd » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 4:04 pm

ecureilx wrote:If you are referring to the "open bar" at the first floor, at the opposite end from Hogs Breath, it is Insomnia

Nah, not Insomnia, I had in fact just left Insomnia on my way home when I discovered this place. Insomnia can be okay and advantageous that it's open till 4 or 5am. The band there are alright but it's not the kind of place I'd really just sit around and have a drink....maybe at the bar out the front but not inside.

The place I'm referring to is at the other side, the table space from Hogs Breath pretty much merges with this place. It's got lots of Jagermeister poster/promo kind stuff. The decor is things like ACDC, Hendrix etc memorabilia.
--
Chuck

sodapop

Postby sodapop » Sun, 05 Feb 2012 5:49 pm

Could hear loud music playiin in the middle of Sunday afternoon @ CHIVAS KPO across the street from my room. Chilli peppers and Deep purple. Anything goin there?

Chuck, you seems know a lot! Yes, I am a big Dandy's fan. If you know the place I could listen Dandy's, let me know!!! :)

dpeter.tspl

Postby dpeter.tspl » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 11:56 am

Timbre is very good. Great live band with fun covers...

therry_fx

Postby therry_fx » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 11:54 pm

you can try crazy elephant if you like blues rock..

lenoirgirl

Postby lenoirgirl » Sun, 11 Mar 2012 3:42 pm

there's a place called Hood at Keong Saik St (chinatown) that plays pretty good rock music sometimes. I went there one Friday and the band was pretty awesome.

Wala wala at Holland Village is pretty great too! But they feature different band every day. I am a frequent there so I'm kinda biased hehe.

stylishlysavvy

Hard Rock Cafe

Postby stylishlysavvy » Tue, 13 Mar 2012 2:51 pm

How about Hard Rock Cafe ?

Huniche

Live music in Singapore...

Postby Huniche » Sat, 24 Mar 2012 12:35 am

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 24 Mar 2012 12:48 am

Smells like spam to me!

sodapop

Postby sodapop » Tue, 22 May 2012 8:39 pm

It is NOT my favorite band, Dandy Warhols, but I am excited to see Andy Warhol @ Marina Bay Sands 8-)

Alisonfh

Postby Alisonfh » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 5:23 pm

Has been mentioned several times already, but Wala Wala at Holland Village has a few decent acts. Shirlyn and the Unexpected does quite a bit of classic rock and hard rock covers, everything from Led Zep, GnR and sometimes Metallica and Iron Maiden.

If you're into the blues-rock kinda thing, try Crazy Elephant at Clark Quay.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 5:53 pm

.... I .... am ..... soooooooooooooooooooooo..... sick of cover bands!! :x :roll:

pjays02

Postby pjays02 » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 11:01 am

JR8 wrote:.... I .... am ..... soooooooooooooooooooooo..... sick of cover bands!! :x :roll:

Local pubs/clubs won't pay original bands for play regularly. Tough luck buddy.
I once complained that I had no shoes, until I saw a man with no feet.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Does anybody know a place to enjoy Rock music?

Postby Akimbo » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 11:23 am

sodapop wrote:Hi,

Just moved from Tokyo last week, searching for a place I can enjoy rock music either live or CDs. Your tips are welcome! 8-)

La Salsa at Dempsey, on Thursday and Friday nights only, with Ali as the lead singer. He sings some old-school songs, with the voice and passion for it. He starts around 10 pm.

Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi, Nirvana, but most of the time, the Beatles.

JR8 wrote:.... I .... am ..... soooooooooooooooooooooo..... sick of cover bands!!

I'm not...I'm sick of cover bands covering Top 40s songs every single night, and no improv or their own tune with it though.

Don't you get sick when you go to Clarke Quay, you hear Move Like Jagger from one band , and when you pass by the next restaurant, they also play Move Like Jagger, and then when you passed another bar, they also played Move Like Jagger...

:x :mad: