Singapore Expats

Finding ingredients

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Sarah Boys

Finding ingredients

Post by Sarah Boys » Tue, 31 Jan 2012 8:31 pm

Hi there - my partner and I have arrived in Singapore. I look cooking but have found it difficult to find all the spices I used to have back home (we cook a lot of Indian - oddly enough I thought that wouldn't be a problem here!). Does anyone know a good place to buy all spices? Is it best to go to Little India for this? And where does one find carnflour - I have searched in fariprice, cold storage etc and found nada... any suggestions would be gratefully received!!

Many thanks.

Sarah

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 31 Jan 2012 9:41 pm

Try Mustafa--they sell everything there.

Yeah, little India.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 01 Feb 2012 1:47 am

+1 I was abut to say the same! :)
nutnut

wannamove
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wannamove » Wed, 01 Feb 2012 4:55 am

Corn Flour is also called corn starch and usually found near the baking products at Fair Price and Cold Storage.

You can also get Indian goods delivered at your home from few stores if you do not want to make the trek to Little India

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 01 Feb 2012 8:47 am

Which stores? It sounds like a better option than treking to (or my maid having to trek to) Mustafa! :) Do they have online presence or do you phone them
nutnut

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 01 Feb 2012 9:14 am

wannamove wrote:Corn Flour is also called corn starch and usually found near the baking products at Fair Price and Cold Storage.

You can also get Indian goods delivered at your home from few stores if you do not want to make the trek to Little India
Now that makes more sense. I was reading it and was like, "carnflour? what Indian ingredient is that?"

Yes, it is known as corn starch in these parts.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Re: Finding ingredients

Post by BillyB » Wed, 01 Feb 2012 9:32 am

Sarah Boys wrote:Hi there - my partner and I have arrived in Singapore. I look cooking but have found it difficult to find all the spices I used to have back home (we cook a lot of Indian - oddly enough I thought that wouldn't be a problem here!). Does anyone know a good place to buy all spices? Is it best to go to Little India for this? And where does one find carnflour - I have searched in fariprice, cold storage etc and found nada... any suggestions would be gratefully received!!

Many thanks.

Sarah
You can find most spices in cold storage - they have a huge rack full of them in orchard centrepoint, bugis, and also great world city.

Just an option if you want to avoid the horrible place that is the Mustafa centre (I wouldn't even send my maid there!)

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 01 Feb 2012 9:36 am

Hey, if you need big bags of spices, cold storage can get very pricey, you are better off in Mustafa!

I love Mustafa, it's like a crazy different world.
nutnut

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 01 Feb 2012 9:41 am

And it's not so crowded at 3am!

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Wed, 01 Feb 2012 9:43 am

nakatago wrote:And it's not so crowded at 3am!
after a trip to the local brothels?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 01 Feb 2012 9:50 am

BillyB wrote:
nakatago wrote:And it's not so crowded at 3am!
after a trip to the local brothels?
Hey, man, what you do on your personal time is your business. I don't judge. :P

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 01 Feb 2012 10:00 am

In another post, I did mention a local who swore that he will never be seen in Mustafa .. and guess who I see at midnight hour one day ?? :D

Well, Mustafa, what's wrong with the place ?

I know enough Malaysians who take the trip across the causeway to get spices and stuff in Mustafa ..

Of course, if you go there on a Sunday, it is jam packed .. and it is a world apart ..

Go there on a week day ..

Actually, you will be amazed to see the amount of non-Indians who are causing a ruckus there .. on weekdays.

Oh, a little trivia: ask a Bangladeshi and he will say Mustafa is a Bangladeshi. Ask a Pakistani and he will swear that Mustafa is a Pakistani .. not many will accept that said owner of Mustafa is from India :D

of course, avoid Mustafa if you don't want to save money :D

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 01 Feb 2012 10:24 am

ecureilx wrote:I know enough Malaysians who take the trip across the causeway to get spices and stuff in Mustafa ..
I'd question that statement. How is it possible? Isn't Indian spice and related groceries in Malaysia cheap enough?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 01 Feb 2012 10:26 am

the lynx wrote:
ecureilx wrote:I know enough Malaysians who take the trip across the causeway to get spices and stuff in Mustafa ..
I'd question that statement. How is it possible? Isn't Indian spice and related groceries in Malaysia cheap enough?
Singapore gets better spices from India than Malaysians get .. or Mr Mushtaq has found ways to ship them to Singapore faster ..

Oh, Malaysia has some capital control on some spices and commodities to ensure local produce is priced properly .. like, you are not allowed to take Rice to Malaysia .. not even a Kilo .. :) :)

Yah, it is odd .. but .. Malaysia Boleh. .

I too was a bit miffed, when somebody asked me to bring "Saffron Flower" from Mustafa .. followed by a call to bring "Fennel Seed" and then ... "Half a Kilo of Basmati Rice"

of course, the person who asked me to bring going shopping in Masjid Indah and is living in Klang Valley, the mini-Little India ..

Only then did I find that Malaysians know they are getting 'some' stale stuff or forced to consume local produce ..
Last edited by ecureilx on Wed, 01 Feb 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Wed, 01 Feb 2012 10:27 am

ecureilx wrote:In another post, I did mention a local who swore that he will never be seen in Mustafa .. and guess who I see at midnight hour one day ?? :D

Well, Mustafa, what's wrong with the place ?

I know enough Malaysians who take the trip across the causeway to get spices and stuff in Mustafa ..

Of course, if you go there on a Sunday, it is jam packed .. and it is a world apart ..

Go there on a week day ..

Actually, you will be amazed to see the amount of non-Indians who are causing a ruckus there .. on weekdays.

Oh, a little trivia: ask a Bangladeshi and he will say Mustafa is a Bangladeshi. Ask a Pakistani and he will swear that Mustafa is a Pakistani .. not many will accept that said owner of Mustafa is from India :D

of course, avoid Mustafa if you don't want to save money :D
That's where we differ - I'd rather pay another $50 dollars on my shopping bill and avoid that place like the plague!