Singapore Expats

any expats in Toa Payoh?

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
crazysafari

any expats in Toa Payoh?

Post by crazysafari » Sun, 29 Jan 2012 9:06 am

Hi,

We were considering condos in Toa Payoh- there aren't too many choices there as the area has mostly HDBs. Taking a walk around we realised it has a fairly large concentration of locals and HDBs. No doubt the amenities are good with buses, shops and MRTs.

But we were just wondering if there are any families with kids in Australian/French schools living there- as we didnt notice any expat familes there.

cheers

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 30 Jan 2012 5:12 pm

30% or Singapore's population are foreigners (a.k.a. expats). I doubt you can find any neighbourhood where there are none.
Maybe you meant "non-Asian expats" or "only white people from rich Western countries", but I do hope you are not that racist and/or will broaden your social horizon.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: any expats in Toa Payoh?

Post by JR8 » Mon, 30 Jan 2012 5:35 pm

crazysafari wrote:Hi,
We were considering condos in Toa Payoh- there aren't too many choices there

Yep just two, Oleander Towers and Trellis Towers.

as the area has mostly HDBs.

That is because it was built en-bloc as an HDB new town. This is why you have everything there, transport, housing, shops etc. Everything but loads of condos!

Taking a walk around we realised it has a fairly large concentration of locals and HDBs. No doubt the amenities are good with buses, shops and MRTs.

Yep it is an incredibly convenient location. Everything within walking distance, and if you need expatty-stuff, Orchard is 3 stops away.

But we were just wondering if there are any families with kids in Australian/French schools living there- as we didnt notice any expat familes there.
cheers

There are some Aussie families around, well certainly at Oleander (can't speak for Trellis, though I viewed flats there). No idea what schools the children go to. Quite a number of Japanese and Korean families too.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 31 Jan 2012 8:30 am

I viewed Trellis on a Sunday afternoon, there were westerners there at the time, if this is what you are after, I understand the need to have affinity with people from a similar background.

Beppi, it's not racist looking for people who you may have something in common with, I am sure that the OP is happy to have friendships with all races and religions, there are some things that are difficult to do together as they are quite culturally specific :S I understand the need, as much as I have friends from all over, I still like to speak to "White people from rich western countries" on occasion for familiarity and small talk (we all know the locals certainly can't do small talk)

Get with it mate, why jump on the OP and call them racist without first considering why they asked this?

Oh, and when it comes to racism, don't you think it's frustrating that their are children in my condo that are told not to play with my children because they have "white skin"? Now tell me you can manage without westerners around you!
nutnut

nakatago

Re: any expats in Toa Payoh?

Post by nakatago » Tue, 31 Jan 2012 9:00 am

crazysafari wrote:But we were just wondering if there are any families with kids in Australian/French schools living there- as we didnt notice any expat familes there.s
Try Ang Mo Kio. My French big boss lives there and says his son plays with Australians.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Post by local lad » Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:14 am

Across the PIE using the overhead bridge from Toa Payoh Garden has a couple of condos( along Ah Hood Rd ). I saw a couple of AISS kids from that area using the bridge to get to Toa Payoh Bus Interchange , to hop onto the bus service 73 to the school

thismyvoice
Chatter
Chatter

Post by thismyvoice » Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:28 am

beppi wrote:30% or Singapore's population are foreigners (a.k.a. expats). I doubt you can find any neighbourhood where there are none.
Maybe you meant "non-Asian expats" or "only white people from rich Western countries", but I do hope you are not that racist and/or will broaden your social horizon.
More than 30% if you take into consideration PR. 45% will be a closer figure.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Fri, 17 Feb 2012 8:30 am

In Toa Payoh, there is a new property which just TOP, Trevista. I went to had a look at the place, and noticed that there are a few expats staying there. Overall, the place is good except the locals tend to hang their clothes to dry in the balcony.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 17 Feb 2012 8:39 am

Girl_Next_Door wrote: Overall, the place is good except the locals tend to hang their clothes to dry in the balcony.
That no probrem. Jus empty haf drink can coke and beer, ashtray oso, and general lubbish. Throw arr out window. Neighbour learn soon no hanky-panky yah

Brendan & Ning

We are moving here

Post by Brendan & Ning » Tue, 21 Feb 2012 6:31 pm

We are moving into this area and looking and leister one and trevelis now, and think theare is great for access and local facilities.

Our daughter is only 2, but we are planning on AISS already. Have friends who think the school is great.