Singapore Expats Forum

Some advice required for Visa newby...

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Bevo

Some advice required for Visa newby...

Postby Bevo » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 4:23 pm

I am an Australian and have recently moved to Singapore under an EP (P1) with suitable employment (well, I've got an in principle approval/FIN number and am awaiting process completion for the formal pass).

My daughter got a dependents pass as you would expect and has enrolled and started school.
My niece came across on a student pass, and I am responsible for her financials - which is all good and this is traveling along well.

Now the tricky part and the question - my sister (obviously nieces mother) has come across and is currently on a visitor visa which expires mid Feb.
Given she doesn't match the criteria for dependents pass - any suggestions on the type of visa we should go for?
(happy to fly her in and out with 5 day gaps, but that will wear thin)...
With EPEC out the window - things appear to be getting tight..

Was looking at long term visit pass, given she is a parent of a student with a visa enrolled and attending a Singapore school, however there are comments stating that she needs a "local sponsor" on the immigration websites.. What is a "local sponsor" definition and what if we don't have one?

Unfortunately, the LTVP means that she can't work or look for work under the new guidelines as of December - is there another option which would allow her to seek employment?

Any advice is appreciated... (I hope I have put down enough infromation).

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 9:17 pm

You just get the name and information of any local Singaporean or PR, and fill that all in.

I'm rather sure you can still look for work on an LTVP. While she can't get EPEC, she may qualify for a PEP under this:

Foreigners who wish to work in Singapore may be eligible for the Personalised Employment Pass if they are:

Overseas foreign professional whose last drawn fixed monthly salary overseas was at least $8,000
The last drawn fixed monthly salary overseas should be no more than six months from the time of the application.