Singapore Expats Forum

What if I change job after I submitted the PR application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
edtac

What if I change job after I submitted the PR application

Postby edtac » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 8:20 am

Hi all, I would like to get your advice. I submitted the PR application in Dec 2011 which I'm still waiting for approval. But right now I'm planning to change a job to a non Singapore base company. Will it be affected to my PR application?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What if I change job after I submitted the PR applicatio

Postby JR8 » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 8:26 am

edtac wrote: But right now I'm planning to change a job to a non Singapore base company. Will it be affected to my PR application?

Can you clarify? Will you still live, work and pay taxes in Singapore?

It is just that your current employer is Singaporean and the potential new one is not, right?

edtac

Postby edtac » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 8:31 am

Thank you for reply. The new company does not have any office in Singapore, basically you may consider I may not work and pay tax in Singapore.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 8:35 am

Sounds potentially complicated!

Wait for the EP/tax/PR experts to come along, I gotta run!

Good luck :)

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 3:19 pm

edtac wrote:Thank you for reply. The new company does not have any office in Singapore, basically you may consider I may not work and pay tax in Singapore.

You will be in the deepest SH*T ever known to man if ICA calls up and you have nothing to show. How the hell did you ended up this way?
It is abit dumb don't you think? You might even lose your EP if the fish's smell reaches the nose
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 7:10 pm

It's very easy:
- If you change job, your old EP is cancelled (only valid for one company)
- EP can only be given for employment at a Singapore-based company, thus you won't get an EP for working for your new company
- If you don't have other grounds for residency in Singapore (e.g. family ties), you will have to leave the country
- You are obliged to inform ICA of any change in status, so you must tell them this
- Once you you are not resident any more, ICA will cancel your PR application

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 7:17 pm

Another thing to add:
Any income for work performed in Singapore is taxable here, no matter where and how it is paid.
Thus if you (as I assume from your post) plan to work remotely for a non-Singaporean company, you still have to pay tax on that income here (AND potentially at the company's location, depending on the tax rules there and a tax treaty with Singapore, if existing).
But you need to be paying tax anyway for your PR application or renewals to have any chance.