Singapore Expats Forum

EP to SPASS downgrade

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
candypants

EP to SPASS downgrade

Postby candypants » Fri, 27 Jan 2012 9:32 pm

Hi all,

In view of the latest requirements for EP, I was wondering if I'd stand a better chance of securing another job (or staying in the current one)if I downgraded to an SPASS?

Been working in this company for over a year and currently get $1.8k under Q1 so I REALLY doubt my pay would drastically increase to $3k. If I do need to downgrade, do I need to cancel my pass and leave the country for a few days or something?

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 12:28 am

Your current EP is valid until it expires, or until you leave your current job (whichever is earlier).
If you apply for renewal (before expiry), MoM will decide whether it is renewed (unlikely if you don't meet the new requirements), downgraded or cancelled (in this case you have to leave the country).
If you change jobs, you need a completely new EP, which might or might not be approved.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 4:16 am

As your current salary is only 1.8K you won't get a renewal, nor will you be able to get an S pas either. The minimum salary is 2K for an S pass. You only option would be more money or Work Permit (not good). Or go home. It's rough. I've lost a number of staff already because of this.

candypants

Postby candypants » Sun, 29 Jan 2012 12:30 am

It really is rough.
I don't think my company has any issues with increasing my salary to $2k as they have done so for my colleagues. Just that they were already under SPASS so it was a simple renewal. Mine would probably be a downgrade and I'm just worried that they would reject it too..

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 29 Jan 2012 9:42 am

candypants wrote:It really is rough.
I don't think my company has any issues with increasing my salary to $2k as they have done so for my colleagues. Just that they were already under SPASS so it was a simple renewal. Mine would probably be a downgrade and I'm just worried that they would reject it too..

When my stars were not shining bright, when I was in a similiar situation as yours.. and the downgrade was pretty straightforward .. no noise from MOM... and 6 months later, when I switched job, my upgrade to P2 was too straightforward .. and the P2 pass came within 3 days ..

That was 7 years ago .. when they had been actively 'encouraging' S Pass ..

I am not sure if that's gonna happen now though ...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:25 am

Hell, 7 years ago, if you could breathe then you were given a S pass. No so today.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:38 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Hell, 7 years ago, if you could breathe then you were given a S pass. No so today.

Yes, you are right ... on the other hand, nowadays, MOM is very easy going in upgrading the passes of musicians and entertainers, moving them up to S Pass, as long as the pay scale is met + MOM gets the Levy :)

that's in lieu of the 'performing artist' visa, which didn't specify a minimum salary or needed any levy payment .. :) :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Jan 2012 11:50 am

Yeah, but you aren't a performing artist either.

Oh, wait! does clown count? :P

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 29 Jan 2012 11:55 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:

Oh, wait! does clown count? :P

No, clowns and street performer don't qualify :( :(

Apparently that is a job title reserved for "SINGAPOREANS" :twisted: :twisted:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Jan 2012 4:42 pm

Thought somebody mistook you for a Singaporean on here a couple of days ago, didn't they? Hard to tell the difference...... :devil:

candypants

Postby candypants » Sun, 29 Jan 2012 9:04 pm

[i]Yes, you are right ... on the other hand, nowadays, MOM is very easy going in upgrading the passes of musicians and entertainers, moving them up to S Pass, as long as the pay scale is met + MOM gets the Levy :) [/i]

I guess this is only applicable if you're pan-asian/eurasian/caucasian/bloody hot and mediacorp wants you :p

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:49 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Thought somebody mistook you for a Singaporean on here a couple of days ago, didn't they? Hard to tell the difference...... :devil:

Oh snap!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 30 Jan 2012 9:24 am

candypants wrote:I guess this is only applicable if you're pan-asian/eurasian/caucasian/bloody hot and mediacorp wants you :p

I humbly wish to say that You are WRONG :) and totally wrong so ..