Singapore Expats

foreigner having a baby in singapore

Discuss the various Pediatrician, Obstetrician & Gynaecologist options here.
Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:02 am

Thats a really useful link thank you. Malaysia might be interesting but then I am wondering how to get the baby back into Singapore with no passport or dependent pass?

Minimum S$8k jeez, I am off to the bathroom now with a paper weight to teach the todger a lesson!!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:21 am

Steve1960 wrote:Thats a really useful link thank you. Malaysia might be interesting but then I am wondering how to get the baby back into Singapore with no passport or dependent pass?

Minimum S$8k jeez, I am off to the bathroom now with a paper weight to teach the todger a lesson!!!
I am not sure of the procedure, but, if a child gives birth in Malaysia, the process would be the same for any foreigner child born overseas - I guess

Once delivered, pick the Birth Cert, head to the Embassy / High Commission of the father, and get an EC, and voila, you are good to go .. I hope ..

And if you have CPF/Medisave here, there are recent changes which may allow you to use Medisave in Malaysia ..

PS: There is a nice maternity Hospital in Klang, Selangor .. and a rough estimate came to 5,000 RM, for a suite, for C Section .. with 1 week stay. You could rent a full bungalow house nearby, for another 2,000 RM to park the relatives and all .. .. no, I am not promoting that hospital ..

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:24 am

Well its certainly worth looking into thank you

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:31 am

Steve1960 wrote:Well its certainly worth looking into thank you
For an idea of 'high end cost' .. look at Ampang Putri, the place where the expats head to, for anything company paid ..

http://www.apsh.kpjhealth.com.my/screening-packages.php

SunshineSheens

Post by SunshineSheens » Fri, 28 Sep 2012 3:38 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:Anyone have a ball park figure for the cost of a birth without any complications? I am from the UK and my wife is Filipina and we just found out she is pregnant with our second child. Way too much hassle to return to either of our native countries so we intent to have the baby here in Singapore. I am just wondering how much financial pain it will be.

If its very expensive I am going to the bathroom later this evening to beat my todger with a heavy object so that I never ever do this again :(
without complications, in KKH, expect to put aside atleast 8,000 $ ..

And with 'minor' complications, look for 14,000

http://www.kkh.com.sg/Services/Women/Ma ... /Home.aspx

BTW, she has to go into A1/B1, if she is not a PR or SC

just a thought - did you think of delivering in Malaysia ? KL ... maybe much much cheaper
Huh? Normal delivery shouldn't be around $8,000. I'm under DP and my bill was only $3,8K. That's with epidural already in a A1 room and I'm a private suite patient also. For CS it should be atleast $6,000-$10,000 depends if the baby has complications and needs to stay for a few more days in the NICU. Sorry but $8,000 is quite exaggerating it already.

With KKH, they will require you to deposit a certain amount, depends on the room you're going to choose ( I think it was between A2 and A1 something like that wherein they will ask you if you want your Gynae to personally assist your wife in delivery or not. That's the only difference.) but will return the remaining balance about a week or two after if there's any. We deposited $4,5K if I'm not mistaken. You can choose to pay by Credit card and there's an option whether you want it in 6mos or 12mos to pay 0% interest with some banks like UOB/DBS.

Steve1960, I assume you guys are also not PR or citizen, as I've said in my previous post earlier better if you guys can just choose a private hospital instead. The cost is just the same and it'll save you the hassle of long queues and service is much better. Raffles and Thomson are popular choices among locals here for its impeccable service, and they're breastfeeding friendly as well :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Sep 2012 5:21 pm

Rather than using hearsay, why not get the facts from the source....

http://www.moh.gov.sg/content/moh_web/h ... lSize.html

:-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 28 Sep 2012 5:43 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Rather than using hearsay, why not get the facts from the source....

+1

SunshineSheens

Post by SunshineSheens » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 2:41 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Rather than using hearsay, why not get the facts from the source....

I don't think a personal experience is considered as a "hearsay".. My post is to share my childbirth experience here in Singapore for the benefit of other foreigners like me to have an idea how are things here. Never knew sharing your personal experience is considered as a hearsay :-|

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 10:43 am

Unless you have had a personal experience of delivering a child in each of the hospitals, you only have experience in one, and the rest is hearsay. Now do you understand? Just like the MOH site, which states 50% & 90% percentile average costs, it's doesn't include the upper 10% either. YMMV.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 4:08 pm

Well I would like to say thank you to everyone for their input it is certainly food for thought and shows that I need to do some investigation into what choices to make.

stueyhall

Post by stueyhall » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 9:42 pm

For what its worth my wife had our first child in May at Gleneagles, our final bill was $18k for a ceasarian + epidural with a 4 night stay. We had full insurance coverage from my employer which worked well.

Seemedon the high side to me but the service, facilities, doctors everything we awesome.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 9:21 am

Steve1960 wrote:Well I would like to say thank you to everyone for their input it is certainly food for thought and shows that I need to do some investigation into what choices to make.
Steve: the numbers I provided, were all based on Estimates provided by hospitals, though the final number can be much lower or higher. . the highest I know for a C Section, with the baby in NICU for 3 days, all worked out to over 17,000 - the parents were foreigners.

Of course, Singaporeans pay much less, but then again, most of the money is from CPF - i.e. their own money - and no wonder when enough Singaporeans head for abortion than go through the pregnancy with the common answer of "cannot afford to have baby now .. " as the excuse ..

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 1:28 pm

SunshineSheens wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:Anyone have a ball park figure for the cost of a birth without any complications? I am from the UK and my wife is Filipina and we just found out she is pregnant with our second child. Way too much hassle to return to either of our native countries so we intent to have the baby here in Singapore. I am just wondering how much financial pain it will be.

If its very expensive I am going to the bathroom later this evening to beat my todger with a heavy object so that I never ever do this again :(
without complications, in KKH, expect to put aside atleast 8,000 $ ..

And with 'minor' complications, look for 14,000

http://www.kkh.com.sg/Services/Women/Ma ... /Home.aspx

BTW, she has to go into A1/B1, if she is not a PR or SC

just a thought - did you think of delivering in Malaysia ? KL ... maybe much much cheaper
Huh? Normal delivery shouldn't be around $8,000. I'm under DP and my bill was only $3,8K. That's with epidural already in a A1 room and I'm a private suite patient also. For CS it should be atleast $6,000-$10,000 depends if the baby has complications and needs to stay for a few more days in the NICU. Sorry but $8,000 is quite exaggerating it already.
No, it's not. This is (roughly) what you have to pay in Month Elisabeth or Gleneagle hospitals with epidural. The later cost you ~1k.

stueyhall

Post by stueyhall » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 9:07 pm

Guess it looks like they took my insurance company for a ride then....

captainsmug

Thomson

Post by captainsmug » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 6:01 pm

well each patient is unique and the bill can only be guessed basis 'no complications' ..

one should opt for the hospital maternity package on offer ( i guess 100% of the patients do opt for these)

also point to note is the Obgyn consultation fee varies within the same Hospital.. so one could be in Gleneagles or MEH or TMC and be seeing a different obgyn and end up with a different amount. the system works on the principle of hospital only providing the infrastructure facilities + nursing staff + supplies with the patients chosing the obgyn. the Obgyn informs the hospital of his charges and the final bill is presented (less whatever advance payment was made)

we got a bill of 8K (incl of hospital maternity package, obgyn's bill & anesthetist's Bill) for a vaginal delivery + epidural + vacuum extraction .. (pls dont confuse this with the prenatal obgyn consult fee/package which is a different issue).. this figure is for the delivery visit only..

Thomson is more affordable i thought as compared to Gleneagles or MEH. well i could be wrong...the service was always warm and friendly.. hope this helps.