Singapore Expats

foreigner having a baby in singapore

Discuss the various Pediatrician, Obstetrician & Gynaecologist options here.
shubham.nath

foreigner having a baby in singapore

Post by shubham.nath » Fri, 27 Jan 2012 5:36 pm

Hi, my husband and i are foreigners in Singapore on employment pass. We are scheduled to have a baby later this year.
Looking at the kind of medical expenses associated with having a baby here, we are trying to evaluate if we should have the baby here - or go to our home country (India) for delivery.
Although i am sure that delivery cost and cost of addressing complications (if any) will be much less in India, we wanted to consider any other benefits of having a baby here . eg. help in becoming a Singaporean PR or citizen later.
If any such benefits are likely, then we would not want to lose out on them, and would overlook the cost factor.

Please help us in making a decision

nakatago

Re: foreigner having a baby in singapore

Post by nakatago » Fri, 27 Jan 2012 6:25 pm

shubham.nath wrote:help in becoming a Singaporean PR or citizen later.
If any such benefits are likely, then we would not want to lose out on them, and would overlook the cost factor.
Doesn't have a bearing at all so if your baby is born here, she remains Indian and you will need to apply the appropriate pass for her. So there: no benefits.

So I'm guessing the cost factor would take over and you'd want to give birth in India instead.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Fri, 27 Jan 2012 7:47 pm

The only benefits I would see is it would be a lot less hassle to stay here than to try to travel while heavily pregnant. You would not be able to fly later than 34 weeks gestation, AFAIK, so you'd have to be in India for approximately 6 weeks before birth. Presuming your husband will still be working here when you give birth, will he be able to afford the time to fly to India to attend the birth of his child? Seems like it would be a last resort option to me. I would only do it if there were known complications with the baby that would mean it would require time in the NICU.

And the other question would be the level of care you and your child would receive in the hospitals. I don't know from Indian hospitals, but I personally would think that the extra expense of Singapore's hospitals would be worth the peace of mind...but that's just my uneducated opinion.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: foreigner having a baby in singapore

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 1:09 pm

nakatago wrote:
shubham.nath wrote:help in becoming a Singaporean PR or citizen later.
Doesn't have a bearing at all so if your baby is born here, she remains Indian and you will need to apply the appropriate pass for her. So there: no benefits.

So I'm guessing the cost factor would take over and you'd want to give birth in India instead.
I too would go with this .. as, back home, a dozen and more 'relatives' will be at hand to help out :) :) unlike here ..

And for the cost of delivery here, enough and more of my colleagues have spent less than half the amount, for good medical care, as you would get in Singapore .., in Fortis or Apollo or Malar and they had money left for the husband to fly up and down a few times :)

mai011

hello

Post by mai011 » Mon, 13 Aug 2012 3:49 pm

I have that dilemma too. Im from Philippines and my partner is from UK.
WE just found out that were pregnant last week.
Im here on a long term social visit pass, if I decided to deliver it here, the baby will need to have a pass to stay here as well. oh god!
The cost of maternity and delivery here can be quite pricey tho i think Singapore can have a better standard than my local hospital back in Philippines., The thing is I have my family to help me out and support me throughout my pregnancy, here I have none except for my bf.
Im still weighing my options....:(
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?

mai011

hello

Post by mai011 » Mon, 13 Aug 2012 3:49 pm

I have that dilemma too. Im from Philippines and my partner is from UK.
Im here on a long term social visit pass, if I decided to deliver it here, the baby will need to have a pass to stay here as well. oh god!
The cost of maternity and delivery here can be quite pricey tho i think Singapore can have a better standard than my local hospital back in Philippines., The thing is I have my family to help me out and support me throughout my pregnancy, here I have none except for my bf.

nakatago

Re: hello

Post by nakatago » Mon, 13 Aug 2012 3:52 pm

mai011 wrote:I have that dilemma too. Im from Philippines and my partner is from UK.
Most Filipinos prefer to deliver in the Philippines because of the cost and the support system. If you think about it, the better standard in Singapore isn't much if you think about how much more expensive it is. Proper Philippine hospitals are good enough without sacrificing quality.

Can't tell about the UK, though. :-|
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

mai011

Post by mai011 » Mon, 13 Aug 2012 4:01 pm

nakatago wrote:
mai011 wrote:I have that dilemma too. Im from Philippines and my partner is from UK.
Most Filipinos prefer to deliver in the Philippines because of the cost and the support system. If you think about it, the better standard in Singapore isn't much if you think about how much more expensive it is. Proper Philippine hospitals are good enough without sacrificing quality.

Can't tell about the UK, though. :-|

Aww thanks,, :) I actually also wanted to have my partner with me present on the actual delivery and first few months of the baby., He can be very busy in his job and having a long break can be next to impossible. Having the baby in Philippines means we wont go back till all the papers are settled and till the baby is big enough to travel. and that means he really has to travel from time to time to Philippines which I doubt will happen too often.

Anyway, I just hope it will all go well. Its too early to tell,( Im just a month pregnant) but I want to prepare everything... :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 13 Aug 2012 4:07 pm

Partner ? So you are not married .. and you got a LTVP .. so I am miffed how ICA will consider any form of long term pass for your infant and your 'relatives' .. if you decide to deliver here.

And I thought there are good hospitals in Philippines, if you can afford to pay .. which may still be cheaper than delivering in Singapore ..

Well, a tongue in cheek comment - why not deliver in UK ?? :)

mai011

Post by mai011 » Mon, 13 Aug 2012 4:36 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Partner ? So you are not married .. and you got a LTVP .. so I am miffed how ICA will consider any form of long term pass for your infant and your 'relatives' .. if you decide to deliver here.

And I thought there are good hospitals in Philippines, if you can afford to pay .. which may still be cheaper than delivering in Singapore ..

Well, a tongue in cheek comment - why not deliver in UK ?? :)
I know what you mean, haven't really talked much about that yet but he asked me the key question of where I prefer to deliver,. if here or Philippines. I think if we decided to deliver the baby here, we will definitely need to get married asap.
Getting married is easy,weve been together for 3 yrs and I think sooner or later we will do, it just that I got pregnant a bit too early,,, haha. SO everything will need to be rush!.
And btw, UK is not an option as my partner is based here, and we never lived in UK. Getting a visa to deliver a baby can be quite complicated.'

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 13 Aug 2012 4:38 pm

mai011 wrote:Getting married is easy,weve been together for 3 yrs and I think sooner or later we will do, it just that I got pregnant a bit too early,,, haha. SO everything will need to be rush!.
And btw, UK is not an option as my partner is based here, and we never lived in UK. Getting a visa to deliver a baby can be quite complicated.'
well, getting married in Singapore too is pretty easy .. trust me on that .. :)

I may wonder, if you are already on LTVP why would UK make it tougher for you to go there ? well .. academically speaking .. :)

mai011

Post by mai011 » Mon, 13 Aug 2012 4:45 pm

ecureilx wrote:
mai011 wrote:Getting married is easy,weve been together for 3 yrs and I think sooner or later we will do, it just that I got pregnant a bit too early,,, haha. SO everything will need to be rush!.
well, getting married in Singapore too is pretty easy .. trust me on that .. :)

I may wonder, if you are already on LTVP why would UK make it tougher for you to go there ? well .. academically speaking .. :)
To be honest, I dont really know if its that complicated, I just dont wanna go thru all that hassle. The thing is we dont have a life in UK, no house, no friends, except for his old friends he never really met for years now. Just his parents I guess. He moved to Singapore 7 years ago, and visit his family in UK from time to time. ( 2 times a year maybe.)
UK is just not really a choice for me, but thanks for asking..:)

SunshineSheens

Post by SunshineSheens » Fri, 28 Sep 2012 3:42 am

Sorry but I disagree on Singapore having a "better" standard with healthcare compared to PH. Service wise, it's much better to give birth in the Philippines. Doctors and nurses there definitely knows how to take care of their patients, unlike here where them seem to rush everything, even if you're on a labour already :roll:

Here in Singapore, they're not going to admit you until you're on active labour and not until you're atleast about 4-5cm dilated (they will definitely send you home if you're only 1-3cm dilated). I was already 6cm dilated when I went to the hospital to be admitted, the whole time I was starting to feel my whole tummy ache I was worried of my dilation and might get charged even if I don't get admitted yet. When I was still being monitored and waiting for an available delivery room, my own Ob-Gynae improperly inserted the needle for dextrose. Another nurse did the same mistake and I swear if not only I'm in pain from the contractions I would really complain for I feel like they turned me into a guinea pig with all those needles being injected wrongly. The best part? Ob-Gynae had me induced and was surprised when the nurses told me about it. When I asked my gynae, all she said is "for me to give birth faster lah." when I indicated in my birth plan that I don't want to be drugged in any way unless it's really needed. Talk about express delivery at its finest! :shock: After my experience with KKH I made sure my son's pedia isn't from KKH.

If you choose to give birth here in Singapore, better if you give birth in a private hospital. Rates compared to public hospital like KKH is just the same so better if you just opt to give birth in a private hospital. Service is so much better.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 28 Sep 2012 9:18 am

Anyone have a ball park figure for the cost of a birth without any complications? I am from the UK and my wife is Filipina and we just found out she is pregnant with our second child. Way too much hassle to return to either of our native countries so we intent to have the baby here in Singapore. I am just wondering how much financial pain it will be.

If its very expensive I am going to the bathroom later this evening to beat my todger with a heavy object so that I never ever do this again :(

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 28 Sep 2012 9:28 am

Steve1960 wrote:Anyone have a ball park figure for the cost of a birth without any complications? I am from the UK and my wife is Filipina and we just found out she is pregnant with our second child. Way too much hassle to return to either of our native countries so we intent to have the baby here in Singapore. I am just wondering how much financial pain it will be.

If its very expensive I am going to the bathroom later this evening to beat my todger with a heavy object so that I never ever do this again :(
without complications, in KKH, expect to put aside atleast 8,000 $ ..

And with 'minor' complications, look for 14,000

http://www.kkh.com.sg/Services/Women/Ma ... /Home.aspx

BTW, she has to go into A1/B1, if she is not a PR or SC

just a thought - did you think of delivering in Malaysia ? KL ... maybe much much cheaper