Singapore Expats Forum

Please help me to evaluate my job offer

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10835
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 27 Jan 2012 6:31 pm

beppi wrote:But you should change your arrogant attitude towards Asian managers: They know better than you how to achieve things under Asian circumstances.


This statement is a crock of bull-caca! I've seen some (a few) very good Asian managers. But most are as described... unwilling to rock the boat and push to get things done... because that is not the "Asian way"... and that in itself is a cop out.

And then, you have the manager that thinks the title turns them into some sort of demi-god... Going around, treating people like crap, making worthless decisions because they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

How do I know this? I've worked in many companies, local and MNC, as a consultant. I've rescued lots of projects that have gone to hell in a handbasket because the Asian managers would not or did not know how to do the things that needed to be done to get the project back on track.

And I've worked with Asian managers who ignore recommendations for projects and programs because they want to assert control where they don't belong... they guarantee failure up front by ruining organizational logistics and failing to deal with risk. This tendency is far more prevalent amongst Asian managers, and is one reason that even Leeky says foreign talent is still required. Singapore would not be what it is without expatriate management.

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Fri, 27 Jan 2012 6:32 pm

Contract terms and what to look out for have all been discussed in this forum before. (Seach function is great!)
Just keep in mind that you probably won't be able to afford your own apartment, but have to share a place with others.

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Fri, 27 Jan 2012 6:37 pm

I disagree to SE's evaluation above.
My experience is different and in my field (building factories) Asia is clearly more successful than the West, where delays and cost overruns are taken for granted (and such projects often fail altogether).
I personally learned more from Asian managers than Western ones.

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon, 26 Dec 2011

Postby sweetgazebo » Fri, 27 Jan 2012 7:09 pm

Well said but disagree with the foreign talent part tho.

Strong Eagle wrote:
beppi wrote:But you should change your arrogant attitude towards Asian managers: They know better than you how to achieve things under Asian circumstances.


This statement is a crock of bull-caca!

And then, you have the manager that thinks the title turns them into some sort of demi-god... Going around, treating people like crap, making worthless decisions because they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

How do I know this? I've worked in many companies, local and MNC, as a consultant. I've rescued lots of projects that have gone to hell in a handbasket because the Asian managers would not or did not know how to do the things that needed to be done to get the project back on track.

And I've worked with Asian managers who ignore recommendations for projects and programs because they want to assert control where they don't belong... they guarantee failure up front by ruining organizational logistics and failing to deal with risk. This tendency is far more prevalent amongst Asian managers, and is one reason that even Leeky says foreign talent is still required. Singapore would not be what it is without expatriate management.

Global Player
Regular
Regular
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun, 18 Jan 2009
Location: Europe

Postby Global Player » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 10:46 am

sambosoul wrote:I'm even thinking about to pay the tuition by myself and not to make this commitment. I guess both NUS and NTU offer great career services.

I wouldn't do this, it leaves a bad impression. What do you have to lose? If you don't receive the tuition at all or pay it back later in case you leave? Financial wise it's the same.

sambosoul wrote:Anyway, from your opinion, what could be considered as an appropriate salary? I would be satisfied with S$5000.

Maybe in banking sector 5000 would be possible, for other industries I think it's way too high. For your work experience and age, I would pay maximum 4000 for an IT Project Manager. So your 3500 is not way off, maybe you can try to negotiate another 200 (consider if it's worth causing a stir for 200 bucks)

Sir
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat, 15 May 2010
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby Sir » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 12:12 pm

I'm an architect grduate and your offer is higher than my salary.

be happy with 3.5!

sambosoul
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu, 26 Jan 2012

Postby sambosoul » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 4:03 pm

Global Player, Sir,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. The more I read and think about your responses, the more I get convinced to accept this offer. :)

User avatar
prkravi
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed, 07 Mar 2007

Postby prkravi » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 4:16 pm

Sounds fair, given the fact that you are paid for tuitions and also get to work.
Go for it with a positive thought, 2 Yrs will fly by even before you know it.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests