Singapore Expats

The "good wine deals" master thread

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Sun, 10 Feb 2013 6:47 am

We've bought from Cold Storage, but have found that the Wine Connection has a good selection of various wines at decent prices....Still soooo expensive!!!!

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 8:13 pm

Visited Giant today and they have two good choices, one for a party wine and the other for something quite good at a reasonable price:

1. For a party wine you certainly can't go wrong with Wolf Blass Eaglehawk Cabernet or the Cabernet+Shiraz+Merlot mix. And at $14.50 it's the ideal party wine unless you really want to go ghetto on your guests and get something a lot worse just to save $1-2. :) Stock up while the price lasts as I have never seen this wine at a lower price.

2. For something more upscale and good to share with your other half during a romantic night in you might want to give Penfolds Koonunga Hill Cabernet Shiraz a look. Usually priced at around $30 it's now available at $24.95.

Another decent selection is the Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cabernet (Yellow Label > Red Label > Eaglehawk), which is identically priced. But if I had to choose between the two I think the Penfolds just barely comes out the winner.

P.S. If anyone sees the Santa Digna Cabernet (Chile) hit the $25 mark then do let us know. It usually sells for $30 but I always wait until there is a promo before picking up half-a-dozen bottles.

stuckmojo
Regular
Regular

Post by stuckmojo » Sun, 01 Dec 2013 2:38 pm

Hi,

I found a 16.99 Chianti DOCG in Fair Price if you buy the full case. I think it's not too bad

steven_xufan

Post by steven_xufan » Sun, 01 Dec 2013 11:05 pm

Wolfblass Yellow Label (Shiraz/Cab sav/Merlot) 2 for $50 at Clementi Mall Fairprice finest. This promo is gonna last till 25 Dec!

PS. I created an account just to post this! I'm new to wine and i bumped into this thread while looking for cheap & good wine. So i thought i could contribute as well. haha! :D

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 6:46 am

steven_xufan wrote:Wolfblass Yellow Label (Shiraz/Cab sav/Merlot) 2 for $50 at Clementi Mall Fairprice finest. This promo is gonna last till 25 Dec!

PS. I created an account just to post this! I'm new to wine and i bumped into this thread while looking for cheap & good wine. So i thought i could contribute as well. haha! :D
Fairprice (all flavors) does that every once in a while, even the friendly neighborhood ones. It's nice when you're doing your regular grocery run and you bump into a nice bottle.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 5:51 pm

steven_xufan wrote:Wolfblass Yellow Label (Shiraz/Cab sav/Merlot) 2 for $50 at Clementi Mall Fairprice finest. This promo is gonna last till 25 Dec!

Cold Storage had a similar deal, except they were charging $26.95 per bottle. But if you bought two you received a box of wine glasses for free. And nice ones too, except for the engraved logo. :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 26 Jan 2014 11:19 pm

You paid to place that advert here did you?

ah how nice.

:roll:

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sun, 27 Apr 2014 9:31 am

There are no adverts, just good pointers on where to pick up a good wine deal. And those have spanned across all supermarkets.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sun, 27 Apr 2014 9:41 am

Good deals on wines in Singapore have been scarce of late. The demise of Carrefour, probably the lowest point in (supermarket) retail history on this island, has seriously cut back competition in this area.

I haven't seen ANY decent deals in weeks now. Even the regular safe choices like Wolf Blass or Penfolds are currently overpriced even when on offer.

The only seemingly enticing deal, which isn't even on special, is a 2-pack of William Hardy with a corkscrew included as a gift. Not sure if this is a good price or mistake of sorts, as this wine sells separately at >$40/btl. The 2-pack is priced at around $52.90.

They might be hard to find, although both Fairprice and Cold Storage have had them in the past. I cleaned out most of the CS stores around Orchard, but I did see some in stock recently at a Fairprice in JEM but wasn't keen on dragging wines all the way home from there. :)

P.S. On a side note, be on the look-out for counterfeit wines, of which there are bucketloads, mainly from South America and Europe. Have never run into any from AU/NZ/US here luckily.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 8:58 am

aster wrote:P.S. On a side note, be on the look-out for counterfeit wines, of which there are bucketloads, mainly from South America and Europe. Have never run into any from AU/NZ/US here luckily.
How would you tell if it is counterfeit wine?

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 10:38 am

I have a Fairprice Just Wine Club membership that gives me a 5% discount on every wine purchase. You also get regular invitations to special sales if you are into purchasing cases.

And my local (and very small) Fairprice has pretty good wind deals from month-to-month.

BTW, if you are into beer, 7-11 has an excellent deal on Breda beer (which I think is pretty good) with 2 x 500ml cans for $7.50.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 1:25 am

the lynx wrote:
aster wrote:P.S. On a side note, be on the look-out for counterfeit wines, of which there are bucketloads, mainly from South America and Europe. Have never run into any from AU/NZ/US here luckily.
How would you tell if it is counterfeit wine?
Unfortunately the only way to tell is to buy a bottle.

I picked up two bottles recently at Wine Collection, one from the US, the other from Chile. The latter was a knock-off unfortunately.

Having said this, I did pick up some Chilean wine earlier today at Giant. ALL their offers were severely overpriced, even Wolfblass Red Label was priced (on offer!) well above what I would be willing to pay for Yellow Label even. I settled for the only South American wine that I will probably buy this year, which was the Caliterra Reserva CabSav (that I have mentioned in the past when on offer at Carrefour). $25 seemed about right. Upon check-out it turned out that the wine was in fact selling at $21.50, which turned out to be an added bonus.

Overall wine deals have gone down the sewer recently, with virtually nothing worth recommending due to the severely jacked up prices. Have there been any drastic changes in customs duties lately?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 8:31 am

aster wrote: Overall wine deals have gone down the sewer recently, with virtually nothing worth recommending due to the severely jacked up prices. Have there been any drastic changes in customs duties lately?
Well if there is one, it would be the increase of alcohol tax not very long ago.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Fri, 02 May 2014 7:12 pm

Three bits of news before the weekend kicks off...

The biggest joke of the year appears to be CS' latest offer on Wolfblass Eaglehawk. This is their budget range. Then there's Red Label, a step above, and Yellow Label a further step higher. To market Eaglehawk at $26.60 as a "limited time promo" borderlines on insulting customers' intelligence... :) You should be getting Yellow Label at that price...

On the plus side, they have a special offer until May 4 on a party wine: Paul Masson (yes, that's the one sold in 1L carafes which you can keep and use later). $35.95 for 2 is very decent, as previous promos had these at $19.95 a pop and more recently even $21.95 at FP if I recall correctly.

Speaking of Fairprice, $17.60 for Lindeman's is quite decent as well in today's times. Especially since buying 6 bottles at FP will give you a 5% discount at check-out (you don't have to be a member of their wine for club for this - purchasing any 6 wines will do).

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sat, 03 May 2014 12:27 am

aster wrote:The biggest joke of the year appears to be CS' latest offer on Wolfblass Eaglehawk. This is their budget range. Then there's Red Label, a step above, and Yellow Label a further step higher. To market Eaglehawk at $26.60 as a "limited time promo" borderlines on insulting customers' intelligence... :) You should be getting Yellow Label at that price...
Well, it appears there might be a mix up with this one. Turns out the promo newsletter with "Weekly Offers" (which is also the one published close to the entrance to CS stores) completely botched up this offer. They put in a big picture of the Eaglehawk bottle, but if you read the small print it actually mentions a completely different range (YL).