Singapore Expats

The "good wine deals" master thread

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Re: The "good wine deals" master thread

Post by tiktok » Wed, 29 Jan 2020 7:33 pm

Thanks, really I'm not picky, just nothing overly sweet or dry, and preferably $15 or less. I feel that's already a high price for wine compared to most countries.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Thu, 30 Jan 2020 10:49 am

with under S$15 dollar category, I'd think about stop drinking altogether. Duties and tax already make S$8.5-11 for each bottle depending on how strong wine it is. So it doesn't leave much value for the wine itself.

You can try there:
https://www.singaporewinevault.com/duty-gst-calculator/

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Thu, 30 Jan 2020 11:11 am

Wow thanks for that. That's obscene. Yes, drinking barely seems worth it here, I guess the government has achieved its objective :)

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Addadude » Thu, 30 Jan 2020 11:14 am

Closest I've seen to S$15 that's drinkable is Mensa wines. Their Cab Sauv is pretty nice and I've seen it for as little as $16 during promotions in Cold Storage. My bricks and mortar go to retailer is usually Bottles & Bottles as I find their prices and range to be pretty good (by SG standards).

Oh, and one of the local 'mama shops' in my area carries some pretty good deals on booze, including wine and whiskey. He sells the 14 year Oban for S$114 - which is a bargain in Singapore.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Thu, 30 Jan 2020 4:29 pm

I still prefer the low income tax, and I decide I want to spend my money on high duty items.

I though come from high income and high alcohol tax country, so kind of grown up with the idea that booze is expensive. We though do state often that necessities like booze have very low, close to zero price elasticity demand. So the price doesn't really impact how much wine you drink, a bit same as smoking.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Thu, 30 Jan 2020 5:58 pm

Just watched a documentary about the alleged wine scamster Rudy Kurniawan, which kind of proves your point about price inelasticity.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Fri, 07 Feb 2020 12:02 pm

Funny how prices change, I was just ordering more wines and basically everything I recommended here went up. 19 Crimes by 2$, Rawson Chardonnay 20$ for the 6 pack.

Sainsbury's on the other hand is in bigger discount now at 17$

Seems that we can influence the market. So I should list the wines I "hate" here :)

archcherub
Regular
Regular

Post by archcherub » Sat, 08 Feb 2020 10:11 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Fri, 07 Feb 2020 12:02 pm
Funny how prices change, I was just ordering more wines and basically everything I recommended here went up. 19 Crimes by 2$, Rawson Chardonnay 20$ for the 6 pack.

Sainsbury's on the other hand is in bigger discount now at 17$

Seems that we can influence the market. So I should list the wines I "hate" here :)
lol. maybe you are in front of the wine trend :) spotting good wines just before the masses caught on

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Mon, 23 Mar 2020 4:01 pm

Now that we are all stocking up for essentials (not really, but you still want to ensure your supplies), so some small hints. Lazada still works as a wine ordering platform, but redmart is so popular (probably delivering toilet paper), that you can't get delivery slots. So need to look for other options. And outside the mentioned more pricey old vintages from AA Frenchwines (I visited there, and they have plenty of stock and another container at sea, so will last for some time if you are into spending 80-100S$ for a different experiences).

But on the economical side:
Beringer Main & Vine Merlot Bundle of 12 bottles, currently at $228.00 and in 3 days on Sale at $198.00
From <https://www.lazada.sg/products/i6078503 ... =true&mp=1?>

Seller: Wines4You also has a good selection of Italian Riondo wines. I would recommend
Riondo Merlot I.G.T at $17.95, but it's out of stock as I ordered their last 6 bottles (sorry for that :)) but in general those Riondo's are good basic wines, but often there's only 4-8 bottles, so hoarders like me order the whole stock.

From <https://www.lazada.sg/products/i1645687 ... =true&mp=1?>

Good luck and health to all in these difficult times!