Singapore Expats

The "good wine deals" master thread

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
aster
Manager
Manager

The "good wine deals" master thread

Post by aster » Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:00 pm

I think everyone who lives here and loves red wine has realised that prices are quite high, but that from time to time some of the wines you love most can appear on special at much more decent prices.

Please feel free to share whatever great wine deals you find, preferably at supermarkets/chain stores so that it's easy for more people to make use of the info.

To kick-start the thread, here's one from me:

1. Porta Reserva, Cab Sav, 2010

Available on special at Fairprice at $20.50 which is a steal. A great wine at a very good price for the quality. Even the regular Porta wine is very good, but the Reserva (black label, goldish-bronze text) stands out in the crowd. Basically this is your $30+ wine at $20-ish pricing.

2. Wolfblass Yellow Label, Cab Sav, 2010

On offer at Cold Storage at $25.90. For those unfamiliar with Wolfblass, they have the regular range... then the Red Label... and then the Yellow label above that. Whilst not better than the Porta wine above, it is quite nice and the reason that I'm mentioning it is that you can get a box of two crystal wine glasses free with every two bottles purchased. If you want the glasses, go for it, otherwise pop into Fairprice instead.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Sun, 22 Jan 2012 8:24 pm

Good idea for a thread, Aster.

I know a guy who works at a wine warehouse and gets some cracking deals on cases, and will always make a few recommendations based on your preferences.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Wed, 25 Jan 2012 9:20 pm

I always stick to the same wines, but that doesn't mean that supermarkets - even when doing specials on them - cannot be beaten on price.

Today I have three more picks, one for a great wine and two very decent "el-cheapo" deals.

Wine of the month has to go to:

1. Santa Digna, Cab Sav, 2008 Reserve

This is a very fine pick that normally sells for $30 a bottle but is currently available at Fairprice at $25.50. At this price it simply has to be bought - it's a fantastic wine in its own right and I would gladly pay the $30 for it and not wait for any specials, but since Fairprice insists (and the temptation of other special offers is ever-present) then I am stocking up while the offer lasts.

I've known this wine for a long time now and have bought it in various countries. It was even the wine that I chose to have... at my own wedding. So I am very partial to this wine in particular. :)

If it's quantity you're after, then:

2. Vina Maipo

Currently selling at Fairprice on a buy-1-get-1-free basis at $25, so basically $12.50/bottle. This is a decent run-of-the-mill wine that is certainly better than some of its better known counterparts that price themselves higher. The only qualm I have about this deal is that Vina Maipo Reserve is sometimes available 1-for-1 at $32, and for those who wouldn't mind paying $16/bottle this is a much better choice. But then again right above that at $20.50 you have Porta Reserve which would once again be a significant jump in quality... and then we can keep going like this with other wines like Santa Digna at $25.50, etc. ;)

3. Wolfblass Eaglehawk

$14.80 at Cold Storage gets you another more than decent run-of-the-mill wine and at this price it's good to stock up for parties and similar occasions. This is the basic Wolfblass wine (they also do a Red Label series, a Yellow Label one, etc.) but it's still quite nice. It all depends on whether you'd rather pay 5-6 bucks extra for something much better, or stick to something that has a very acceptable price. Anyway, at $14.80 you really can't beat the Eaglehawk range...

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 26 Jan 2012 7:44 pm

Now all you need is a mobile phone application for the wine club in Singapore and you have access to immediate discounts, if members keep it up dated :lol: Maybe it can be done with whatsapp messenger!

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 10:30 am

It's been several weeks and I'm not seeing anything good at Fairprice, and nothing that would get me overly exited at CS either.

I have found a great promo at Carrefour though - it was certainly valid yesterday so although I'm not seeing the promo via internet shopping I hope it's still available in-store:

http://www.carrefour.com.sg/product/128642/

The special price I saw in store for the Caliterra Reserva Cab-Sav 2010 was $20.90 (normal price $29.10) and just at the Carrefour at Suntec there is an ADDITIONAL promo where if you buy four bottles you get a fifth one free.

That brings the end price down to just $16.72/bot. Stock up while you can! :)

richie303
Chatter
Chatter

Post by richie303 » Wed, 21 Mar 2012 11:29 am

This looks like a very useful thread, can it be stickied please?
Richie - East Coast Superbabe...

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sun, 25 Mar 2012 12:41 pm

For those who can't make it to Carrefour at Suntec, the same Caliterra Reserva range is currently on sale at Giant (at least the Vivo City outlet is running this promo):

Regular price: $29.10
Current sale price: $17.90 :)

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Fri, 11 May 2012 8:33 pm

The best bargain I've seen this year just showed up. I think they might have got the promo wrong by selling the "Reserve" range at the promo price that seems like it should have been attached to the regular range, but who am I to complain? :)

Anyway, what a superb offer currently at Carrefour for what are truly great wines:

1. Santa Carolina RESERVA Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 (14%)

2. Santa Carolina RESERVA Sauvignon Blanc 2010 (13.5%)

And the promo price... just $19.90!!!

Grab it while it lasts. This is normally a much more expensive wine than that with the regular (not Reserva) range priced at around $23...

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:42 am

Any good recommendations on white?

Paddy17

Post by Paddy17 » Sun, 09 Dec 2012 8:14 pm

Is anyone aware of good wine mailing list operating in SG, or websites that deliver wine by the case?
That's how I bought nearly all my wine back in Australia.
Cheers

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

shipping from Aus?

Post by The Ref » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 10:42 pm

I am about to ship some stuff from Aus (as an individual so not great shipping rates) and wondering if adding some wine is worth it. I expect to declare and pay the duty but if it is not worth the hassel I would prefer to know.

And suggestions or advice please?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: shipping from Aus?

Post by JR8 » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 11:17 pm

The Ref wrote:I am about to ship some stuff from Aus (as an individual so not great shipping rates) and wondering if adding some wine is worth it. I expect to declare and pay the duty but if it is not worth the hassel I would prefer to know.

And suggestions or advice please?
Don't pay for Premiere Cru, only to have it sit in a container at the docks gently poaching in 50c heat for a week. You'll still pay full GST and duty, and it might just be the most expensive vinegar to land in Singapore.

That's my 2C.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 11:56 pm

Thanks M8

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:02 am

The Ref wrote:Thanks M8
It's a pleasure.

p.s. But I am also posting to say, that this is weird, M8 is not an expression I use often, you kinda need to have a recipient who you know will get it. But I was considering these last few minutes using it to someone else on this forum, precisely when your above message arrived and 'pinged' on my desktop.
Shpooky! :) :o

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 21 Jan 2013 2:26 am

I've been away for a few months and the worst of the worst has happened: Carrefour has exited the Singapore market.

RIP CARREFOUR :(

I've noticed that Cold Storage hasn't been particularly useful lately so I have switched my shopping over to Fairprice. Every so often they have 1-for-1 deals there that are worth a look.

Recently though Cold Storage or rather their other brand Giant has been quite ok with wine deals: today's best bet is Caliterra Cabernet Sauvignon Reserva at under $20 a bottle. This is a great wine that is worth every penny. Usually priced close to the $29 mark it is quite expensive, but at $19.XX I'll gladly stock up. :)