Singapore Expats Forum

ICA calls my Husband..

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
babytomato

ICA calls my Husband..

Postby babytomato » Fri, 20 Jan 2012 2:34 am

On 18/1/2012, there was an officer from ICA rang my husband. Asking if my husband is willing to go for NS IF selected? To be precise, the officer did say there is a possibility selected only. By mentioning this issue, I believe that is one of the criterias to be eligible for PR. Now my questions are

a) Will my husband be going for fulltime NS? Currently he is 27yo. I'm afraid that I can't support the family by myself if one day he really goes for fulltime NS.

b) If it is for only part time NS then is ok as he will continue to provide shelter for us (me & baby daughter)

Worry worry worry :(

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Postby nutnut » Fri, 20 Jan 2012 8:44 am

Do bear in mind, if he goes to NS he will be paid the same salary as he is currently in his employment. If this is the basis of your worry then you should read more about it on the forum, there is plenty related.
nutnut

therat
Reporter
Reporter

Postby therat » Fri, 20 Jan 2012 9:08 am

NS don't have salary.
They only has monthly allowance

http://iprep.ns.sg/welfare-and-benefits.html

Monthly NS allowances

As an NSF, you will be given a starting monthly NS allowance of $420. This allowance will be credited to the bank account submitted by you during pre-enlistment documentation.

Your monthly NS allowance will progress with your rank as follows:
Rank Allowance
REC/PTE $420
LCP $440
CPL $490
SCT $510
CFC $530
3SG $740
2SG $840
OCT $700 ($900)
2LT $940 ($1140)
LTA $1120 ($1320)
CPT ($2020)

Figures in () applies to NSF Medical Officer/Dental Officer

to nutnut,
if he goes to NS he will be paid the same salary as he is currently in his employment.

NS or reservists?

babytomato

Postby babytomato » Fri, 20 Jan 2012 9:22 am

nutnut wrote:Do bear in mind, if he goes to NS he will be paid the same salary as he is currently in his employment. If this is the basis of your worry then you should read more about it on the forum, there is plenty related.

Hi Nut nut,

Are you sure about this? If this is the case, then I will feel more ease. Thanks for the swift reply
:D

babytomato

Postby babytomato » Fri, 20 Jan 2012 9:26 am

therat wrote:NS don't have salary.
They only has monthly allowance

http://iprep.ns.sg/welfare-and-benefits.html

Monthly NS allowances

As an NSF, you will be given a starting monthly NS allowance of $420. This allowance will be credited to the bank account submitted by you during pre-enlistment documentation.

Your monthly NS allowance will progress with your rank as follows:
Rank Allowance
REC/PTE $420
LCP $440
CPL $490
SCT $510
CFC $530
3SG $740
2SG $840
OCT $700 ($900)
2LT $940 ($1140)
LTA $1120 ($1320)
CPT ($2020)

Figures in () applies to NSF Medical Officer/Dental Officer

to nutnut,
if he goes to NS he will be paid the same salary as he is currently in his employment.

NS or reservists?

Hi therat,

If he is only being paid for peanuts then how can we survive in Singapore which is a very competitive. Once he is in NS then I 'm afraid that my salary alone cannot support housing loan,child and also I need to support my husband at the end?
Currently he is earning almost $3K per mth

Thank you :(

therat
Reporter
Reporter

Postby therat » Fri, 20 Jan 2012 9:54 am

That's why I ask.
NS or reservist?

NS is estimate 2 yrs full time and it only has NSF allowance.

Reservist can range from 1 day to 2 wks or may be 3wks.
During these period the company can claim the salary from the government.
It will not impact the take home pay.

babytomato

Postby babytomato » Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:13 am

therat wrote:That's why I ask.
NS or reservist?

NS is estimate 2 yrs full time and it only has NSF allowance.

Reservist can range from 1 day to 2 wks or may be 3wks.
During these period the company can claim the salary from the government.
It will not impact the take home pay.

Hi Therat,

Sorry for not included the NS or reservist. Actually the officer didn't mention reservist or NS. Just told him to serve NS if selected. The word 'NS' sounds a bit worry for us. When my husband asks the ICA officer about the issue.. The officer says that is up to the NS department to justify and not in the power of ICA. Morever that is part of the criteria for being PR! I check with some of my friends. They did have the same problem ( 2-3yrs back ) where her husband has to apply PR under family ties. But then, the husband refused to do so and excluded from the application apply with wife. He went to work for a company and get S pass. After that, re-apply the scheme under family ties again. Waited for few mths only got PR. Now the ICA doesn't ask him to involve in NS anymore. Hence, does my husband need to apply like what my friend did before?

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Sat, 21 Jan 2012 8:15 pm

I assume your husband is foreigner and applied for PR, you are Singaporean (please correct if wrong).
If so, he could get PR based on working here (PTS scheme), which does not incur NS liability, or family ties, which does.
Apparently ICA has decided that he does not qualify under PTS, but does under family ties. Thus they ask if he would consider this despite the NS liability. NS is two years at the allowance mentioned above.
If you cannot handle that, he should reject this possibility and apply for PR again when his work experience and salary has increased (for PTS), or when he is too old for full-time NS (for family ties).

therat
Reporter
Reporter

Postby therat » Sat, 21 Jan 2012 9:13 pm

beppi,

TS is not a Singaporean.

She mention in one of the thread. She also apply PR
sutra550228.html&highlight=#550228

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Sat, 21 Jan 2012 9:43 pm

Well, we're not reading all old posts by somebody before we answer. Better give all relevant information in the post!

I am not sure if the same (PR on family ties have to do NS) applies for family ties to another PR holder, but I guess so.

voxies09

Postby voxies09 » Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:01 am

dont understand, when you are going to NS you have to convert the PR to Citizenship; but it's only applicable for PR son; confuse

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Wed, 25 Jan 2012 12:18 pm

voxies09 wrote:dont understand, when you are going to NS you have to convert the PR to Citizenship; but it's only applicable for PR son; confuse

You really should try and understand your legal obligations properly. NS is required for ALL male PR applicants. The govt has made an exception in saying that 1st gen applicants under PTS scheme are exempt. If you applied under family ties scheme - well he is not exempt. Which box did you tick on his pr application?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 Jan 2012 12:51 pm

voxies09 wrote:dont understand, when you are going to NS you have to convert the PR to Citizenship; but it's only applicable for PR son; confuse

Not only what carteki said, but additionally you do NOT have to convert the PR to Citizenship. In fact, doing NS isn't a guarantee of getting citizenship even if you do complete it.

If you have a record of being a juvenile offender prior to entering NS, the odds of being granted citizenship if you apply after finishing NS is virtually nil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_Singapore

Non-Citizens

Second Generation Permanent Residents are required to go through compulsory full-time military service as well as reservist duties after they have completed their full-time military service and turns operationally-ready.

After completing full-time military service, they are eligible to apply for Singapore citizenship. However, citizenship is not guaranteed for all applicants, as there are certain criteria that must be met such as educational qualifications and income qualifications. From 2006 to 2010, about 2% of 3,000 Second Generation Permanent Residents who completed full-time military service and applied for Singapore citizenship were rejected. [19]

If the person does not hold Singapore citizenship but still holds Singapore permanent residency, he is still required to serve the service requirement, i.e. reservist duties after he turns operationally-ready.[20]

Singapore Permanent Residents who served national service but did not acquire Singapore citizenship will be treated equally to those permanent residents without service obligation; they would not have access to the privileges granted to Singapore citizens.

purplewave

Postby purplewave » Wed, 25 Jan 2012 5:44 pm

i thought only 2nd gen PR needs mandatory NS. correct me if i am wrong

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Wed, 25 Jan 2012 6:03 pm

purplewave wrote:i thought only 2nd gen PR needs mandatory NS. correct me if i am wrong

You're wrong. If you'd bothered to read the above post from sms it would've explained all.