True? Trafficking?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Post Reply
User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11650
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

True? Trafficking?

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 9:28 am


User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 9:43 am

It would seem so from anecdotes that I've heard and then googling some key words. It's bad enough my country [wo]men are stereotyped into maids or waitresses. :(
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Re: True? Trafficking?

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:27 am

edited as not relevant ..
Last edited by ecureilx on Thu, 19 Jan 2012 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:29 am

nakatago wrote:It would seem so from anecdotes that I've heard and then googling some key words. It's bad enough my country [wo]men are stereotyped into maids or waitresses. :(
How did you google TODAY ?? :D

did you click on the link to "TELL CONGRESS" ?? :D

Oh, Wikipedia is DOWN ..

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:35 am

ecureilx wrote:
nakatago wrote:It would seem so from anecdotes that I've heard and then googling some key words. It's bad enough my country [wo]men are stereotyped into maids or waitresses. :(
How did you google TODAY ?? :D

did you click on the link to "TELL CONGRESS" ?? :D

Oh, Wikipedia is DOWN ..
Not today, obviously. I've heard these anecdotes long back and did some on-the-surface research. And Google isn't down.

Regarding the SOPA schtick, I've done my part but this is not the forum/thread to discuss it.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39549
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 11:43 am

once again, squirrel has been hoist by his own petard. Maybe he'll come down to earth some day and actually type something helpful.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 12:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:once again, squirrel has been hoist by his own petard. Maybe he'll come down to earth some day and actually type something helpful.
I think the humour element in quoting Google was lost ..

And it's funny that I be at the receiving end, since, if I count, I could say that more than a dozen time I have been whining about thread drifts .. threads on some subject turns into crab cooking or fishing ..

Ah .. not my finest, yeah, it's not my finest .. :(

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 5:01 pm

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 1:53 pm

This was in the news when the report first came out. The SG govt was very perplexed with the designation and was trying to get clarification from them on how they arrived at their conclusion.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6865
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 2:29 pm

earthfriendly wrote:This was in the news when the report first came out. The SG govt was very perplexed with the designation and was trying to get clarification from them on how they arrived at their conclusion.
These types of reports always come out (usually pushed by various religions / human rights groups), and quite often if you dig deep enough, while there likely are some cases of trafficking, there is more often the assumption in these reports that all illegal prostitution == trafficking. If you believed them, every massage parlor in California was a bastion of forcibly held women smuggled in as part of some elaborate trade. Or, more locally, go ask some of the girls in OT how "trafficked" they feel.

In that regard, it's quite a bit like the anti-drug efforts those of us who grew up in the US during the 80s went through. Marijuana always leads directly to cocaine and crack which leads to directly to dying over overdose.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 2:35 pm

zzm9980 wrote: These types of reports always come out (usually pushed by various religions / human rights groups), and quite often if you dig deep enough, while there likely are some cases of trafficking, there is more often the assumption in these reports that all illegal prostitution == trafficking. If you believed them, every massage parlor in California was a bastion of forcibly held women smuggled in as part of some elaborate trade. Or, more locally, go ask some of the girls in OT how "trafficked" they feel.

In that regard, it's quite a bit like the anti-drug efforts those of us who grew up in the US during the 80s went through. Marijuana always leads directly to cocaine and crack which leads to directly to dying over overdose.
Exactly, And ... which is what I wrote, but somebody was not happy that I know something ..

BTW, the report in question is dated 2009 .. or so ..

User avatar
carteki
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1237
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:03 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by carteki » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 4:02 pm

As much as the report is written in 2009 and generally by people with a grudge to bear, this doesn't dispute that it happens. Reminds me of a conversation I had with someone I met who worked in the shipyards. His comment was I'd be amazed at how many women come into Singapore in the diving capsules brought here for fitting from the 'peens.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 4:21 pm

carteki wrote:As much as the report is written in 2009 and generally by people with a grudge to bear, this doesn't dispute that it happens. Reminds me of a conversation I had with someone I met who worked in the shipyards. His comment was I'd be amazed at how many women come into Singapore in the diving capsules brought here for fitting from the 'peens.
maybe that was like 10 years ago .. nowadays, every bar in OT and such 'hot' spots do get regular checks, and most bars do check for valid visa before allowing entry ..

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 4:23 pm

Who wants to go on a field trip?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 4:51 pm

nakatago wrote:Who wants to go on a field trip?
:D :D If you are ok for Tower on me (I Meant a Tiger Tower) .. I am in .. :D and I got a curfew by midnight :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6865
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 5:21 pm

carteki wrote:As much as the report is written in 2009 and generally by people with a grudge to bear, this doesn't dispute that it happens.
I don't dispute that it happens at all. I'm also sure people have indeed died from trying Marijuana just one time. It's just that in most cases...

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests