Singapore Expats Forum

Work Visa, Criminal Convictions???

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
__CMC__
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed, 18 Jan 2012

Work Visa, Criminal Convictions???

Postby __CMC__ » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 1:48 am

Just stumbled upon this forum whilst browsing the net, i'm hoping someone here could give me some info!

I work in the oil and gas industry and have just received a call about a project in Singapore. I am a UK resident therefore i assume i need some sort of work visa/permit. Problem is about 10 years ago i was convicted for possession of drugs.........

Would i get a visa to work there? Is there any point of me trying as obviously i don't want the company to find out about my past as they have plenty of work to offer in europe.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 8:17 am

I would suggest you wait for a response from MadScientist, he is very good at this kind of information, I would not have the foggiest, although, I will advise that Singapore is very strict on drugs.

I certainly would not suggest forgetting to mention it on your visa application because that will almost certainly land you on the next plane home or in jail when found out.
nutnut

User avatar
carteki
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1237
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2008
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby carteki » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 9:18 am

asked and answered many times. Do a search...

__CMC__
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed, 18 Jan 2012

Postby __CMC__ » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 3:33 pm

I have searched and to be honest that has just confused me more, as i have found so much conflicting information!

User avatar
carteki
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1237
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2008
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby carteki » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 4:37 pm

Long and short of the story

1) Do you need a work permit? Only the company can answer that. Did you ask them?

2) If the answer to 1 is no - then no worries unless they ask about it on your application form. Probably wouldn't lie about it as SG employment laws are minimal at best and you don't want to give them ammunition.

3) If the answer to 1 is yes - then afraid you have no choice. Generally not a good idea to lie on your employment pass application form. If it is found out then you'll be out quicker than you can draw breath and will probably never work here again...

4) Will you get a visa with a past criminal conviction? Who knows... Perhaps the officer assessing your application has a hangover from hell, taxi driver ripped him off and the family are asking for more money? Maybe not? What happens in the hallowed halls of MOM stays there. Some have, some haven't. But you'll never get anywhere in life without taking chances.

__CMC__
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed, 18 Jan 2012

Postby __CMC__ » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 6:38 pm

carteki wrote:Long and short of the story

1) Do you need a work permit? Only the company can answer that. Did you ask them?

2) If the answer to 1 is no - then no worries unless they ask about it on your application form. Probably wouldn't lie about it as SG employment laws are minimal at best and you don't want to give them ammunition.

3) If the answer to 1 is yes - then afraid you have no choice. Generally not a good idea to lie on your employment pass application form. If it is found out then you'll be out quicker than you can draw breath and will probably never work here again...

4) Will you get a visa with a past criminal conviction? Who knows... Perhaps the officer assessing your application has a hangover from hell, taxi driver ripped him off and the family are asking for more money? Maybe not? What happens in the hallowed halls of MOM stays there. Some have, some haven't. But you'll never get anywhere in life without taking chances.


Thanks for the reply some good information in there. I have spent hours on that MOM site and it just confuses me even more every time i go on it.

I know you said in answer 1 that only the company can answer that but is there no other way to find out, as if i declare to the company i have previous convictions and the Singapore visa does not happen it is very unlikely they will hire me for any of there projects in Europe.

Once again thanks for your help

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 11:35 pm

You'll have to declare any prior conviction on the EP application, which the employer submits (and will read first). Thus no way of withholding it from them if you do apply.

__CMC__
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed, 18 Jan 2012

Postby __CMC__ » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 12:47 am

Thanks for the replies, think i'll pass on the job seeing as i probably wouldn't get a visa anyway! Shame as it was more than double what they're paying me now :x

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 12:52 am

I think in point 1) Carteki is asking you to consider if you are simply being seconded to SG from the UK. I.e. temporarily, still being paid out of the UK and no SG employment pass/permit required.

We have had new posters here talk about criminal records and visa applications. From what I have seen people with minor records from 'some time ago' (DUI, affray, D&D, cannabis) have declared it, and have been cleared for SG employment.

Of course if you're talking about dealing Class A or what ever, well then I'd probably not hold your breath.

__CMC__
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed, 18 Jan 2012

Postby __CMC__ » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 3:25 am

Now i am even more confused :???:

The job would be for the duration of the project which is 1-2 years, i would be employed by a dutch company and paid in Holland. The rotation i would be working would be 4 weeks in Singapore and 4 weeks out of there. In the 4 weeks i am not in Singapore 3 i would not be working and 1 could be spent at various locations in europe or not working depending on production.

Would i need a pass/permit as been paid from Holland?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35160
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 5:04 am

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

This would probably be the vehicle to bring you here to work on short term assignments. However it's limited to 60 maximum. What isn't clear though, is whether that in per trip or per year cumulative. I suspect it's cumulative as otherwise, employers would send their "employees" to Malaysia for a weekend every two months. So, I don't see how you are going to get away with it for 1 or 2 years. I'd be interested to know, however, so keep us posted as to how you employer works around it.

sms

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 8:41 am

You realise that in Europe you have to declare prior convictions anyway? Just so you know.
nutnut

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Re: Work Visa, Criminal Convictions???

Postby BillyB » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 9:47 am

__CMC__ wrote:Just stumbled upon this forum whilst browsing the net, i'm hoping someone here could give me some info!

I work in the oil and gas industry and have just received a call about a project in Singapore. I am a UK resident therefore i assume i need some sort of work visa/permit. Problem is about 10 years ago i was convicted for possession of drugs.........

Would i get a visa to work there? Is there any point of me trying as obviously i don't want the company to find out about my past as they have plenty of work to offer in europe.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated


It's very subjective. As others have stated - there are no hard and fast rules; each application is assessed on it's own merits.

What was the punishment in the UK? Were you a minor at the time? Were you working for your current employer at the time of offence?

Personally, I think you've played the wrong card by not telling the company - dishonesty usually comes back to bite you in the arse.

User avatar
carteki
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1237
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2008
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby carteki » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 1:44 pm

__CMC__ wrote:Would i need a pass/permit as been paid from Holland?


Seriously guys - don't bother... he hasn't bothered to ask his employers what type of permit (work or visa or none) he'll need. Without that we can't give a reasonable answer.

__CMC__
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed, 18 Jan 2012

Postby __CMC__ » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 4:21 pm

nutnut wrote:You realise that in Europe you have to declare prior convictions anyway? Just so you know.


As i am a UK citizen i don't need to declare anything as i do not need a visa or permit any where in europe, in the oil & gas industry they only time they want to see that is for visa's if required


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests