Singapore Expats Forum

WSJ: Singapore Inc. Needs a Rethink, Economists Say

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.

Postby carteki » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 1:55 am

JR8 wrote:c) By definition SG is going to have a relatively high Gini Coeff because it has stacks of imported Banglas earning peanuts, and at the other end imported FT and regional wealth exiles. NOW, if you could strip those out of your sample, and look at wealth distribution amongst SGns, that might tell us more.

Okay, not quite so skewed now but $4m+ for the PM and other ministers vs $1,500 for more than a few? There still is an inequality in the spread of the wages, although a great deal I guess has to do with skills. I haven't seen equally qualified SG'ers discriminated against on the salary scales vs foreigners (esp with the somewhat demise of the expat package).

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 9:39 am

JR8 wrote:
carteki wrote:To be seen to be giving the masses what they want, rather than actually doing so?

I'm not sure the bottom 10% are reading geeky political papers.

It will be read (but likely not properly understood), excerpted and taken completely out of context on asia1 and other local forums, trust me.

edit: and they have started... Their entire take away is it is all the fault of foreigners. :D

Postby nakatago » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 9:47 am

zzm9980 wrote:and they have started... Their entire take away is it is all the fault of foreigners. :D