Singapore Expats Forum

Appeal for entry visa rejected

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 3:51 pm

Maarten wrote:And yes I know I am not a citizen ... and maybe not fair to mention about second class beeing PR ... but on the other hand, did you read recently the postings on websites like STOMP and Yahoo! News? As a PR you do not get that warm feeling of being welcome in your "new" country that you can call home :-|

And yeah, and did the guys who are posting also say how much they are being arm-chair warriors and will regret it deeply if the FTs are thrown away ?? :D :D

Take a colleague of mine, who said once that foreigners are taking the jobs of locals .. when I told him that his own team member's job can be done by a local (that was in jest) he was aghast, and was quick to tell me this "anybody, but not my team member filipino .. "

You know why ? The filipino is renting a room from the other colleague of mine .. and the Filipino's departure would mean loss of a lot of rental income

So .. unless you have a lot of local friends, and know what they mean, don't just go by the posting in Stomp :)

Oh, another local friend of mine, once told me that he would rather kill himself that be seen in Mustafa. And one day at midnight, whom did I bump into ? :) The guy sheepishly admits that he comes to Mustafa once a week, but 'plays for the gallery .. ' when with friends ..

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 3:53 pm

Maarten wrote:Well I have chosen Singapore as my new home, and the reason is not only the warm weather and the good food :D And your right there are many things that make Singapore a great place ... however equality of people is not the first thing that comes to my mind ;)

If a dutch guy is quoting his 'girl friend being refused entry' as the measure of equality .. no comments.

What is that that you are smoking, my friend ?? :)

In this region, if you call Singapore that, well, you need to travel around the region .. .. 'nuff said ..

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 3:54 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Maarten wrote:And yes I know I am not a citizen ... and maybe not fair to mention about second class beeing PR ... but on the other hand, did you read recently the postings on websites like STOMP and Yahoo! News? As a PR you do not get that warm feeling of being welcome in your "new" country that you can call home :-|

And yeah, and did the guys who are posting also say how much they are being arm-chair warriors and will regret it deeply if the FTs are thrown away ?? :D :D

Take a colleague of mine, who said once that foreigners are taking the jobs of locals .. when I told him that his own team member's job can be done by a local (that was in jest) he was aghast, and was quick to tell me this "anybody, but not my team member filipino .. "

You know why ? The filipino is renting a room from the other colleague of mine .. and the Filipino's departure would mean loss of a lot of rental income

So .. unless you have a lot of local friends, and know what they mean, don't just go by the posting in Stomp :)

Oh, another local friend of mine, once told me that he would rather kill himself that be seen in Mustafa. And one day at midnight, whom did I bump into ? :) The guy sheepishly admits that he comes to Mustafa once a week, but 'plays for the gallery .. ' when with friends ..

:lol: If this was Facebook, I would have "Liked" this :)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 4:09 pm

Maarten wrote::) :) :)

Honestly I think comparing Singapore with US/Europe is a bridge to far. Singapore is not similar at all ... Race or social background is never an issue with these destinations .. as long you did your paperwork well and you live up to the rules and regulations being publicized openly by those governments ...

You're *joking* right? Single females under the age of 35 from third-world countries are pretty much barred entry to the US, and I assume much of the EU.

I can't even easily get a tourist visa to the US for my wife, who is married to an American citizen and has a daughter who is an American citizen, because she has the misfortune of being born in poor country (relatively) and is still "too young" (under 30).

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 4:12 pm

revhappy wrote:
Maarten wrote::D I certainly will update the progress and if I am able to meet up with an officer.

Only would be great if people have some success stories :)

/of topic
And yes I know I am not a citizen ... and maybe not fair to mention about second class beeing PR ... but on the other hand, did you read recently the postings on websites like STOMP and Yahoo! News? As a PR you do not get that warm feeling of being welcome in your "new" country that you can call home :-|

Well, atleast in Singapore, the unwelcome feeling is limited to just the cyberspace. But look at it the other way round, an asian going to Europe, USA or Australia will get a taste of it in a more tangible way. :lol:

I would anyday prefer Singapore, in that context.

And keep in mind most of the posters on these sites are the vocal under-employed minority who would understand logic or common sense if it slapped them in the face. They blame foreigners for their being underemployed, when it likely has more to do with their own "skill-set". You can just tell by their inability to understand logic and rationalize in their own postings.

Maarten

Postby Maarten » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 4:12 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Maarten wrote:Well I have chosen Singapore as my new home, and the reason is not only the warm weather and the good food :D And your right there are many things that make Singapore a great place ... however equality of people is not the first thing that comes to my mind ;)

If a dutch guy is quoting his 'girl friend being refused entry' as the measure of equality .. no comments.

What is that that you are smoking, my friend ?? :)

In this region, if you call Singapore that, well, you need to travel around the region .. .. 'nuff said ..

Would be silly to measure equality on just one event ... You would probably agree that examples are abundant ... Like the DH next door to me who has to wash the 4 cars owned by her employer every single day of the year every morning at 6am.

I am not a smoker :) Not all Dutch do hehehe Like there are also some Singaporeans who actually can decently drive a car :) Just teasing a bit my friend ;)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 4:21 pm

Maarten wrote:Would be silly to measure equality on just one event ... You would probably agree that examples are abundant ... Like the DH next door to me who has to wash the 4 cars owned by her employer every single day of the year every morning at 6am.

Life is cruel, but, you prefer that she and her family be jobless, hungry, and trying to do other illegal stuff, than working for an employer who makes her wash 4 cars ?? :)

Did I say life is cruel ? Not gonna get into the argument of 'how much is good' but, rather than being jobless, her pay, goes to feeding/clothing and sheltering her family, than she be forced into other things ..

Oh, you CAN MAKE A CHANGE TO HER LIFE MY FRIEND ;) Employ her and give her less work :D :D and make sure you pay her more .. a lot more ..

I am not a smoker :) Not all Dutch do hehehe Like there are also some Singaporeans who actually can decently drive a car :) Just teasing a bit my friend ;)

Oops ... d dumb me that most dutch smoke marijuana (it's legal there, right ?? ) and they are a bit 'disconnected' from reality :D As I have seen another dutch friend who starts to preach stuff, and I have to pinch him once in a while to see if he is hallucinating or not ..

No love lost I hope .. :)

And again, marry your girl friend, and you have a stronger case for ICA to look into .. :)

Why not marry and then live together, I mean, 'get to know each other' ??? by now I am sure you have gotten to know her enough I guess .. :D

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 4:27 pm

Philippines is a cheap flight, see her there. If things don't work out, you'll find plenty of other friends there who will want to be your friend back, I promise you. Just ask to see their passports before inviting them, ok? :P

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 4:33 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Philippines is a cheap flight, see her there. If things don't work out, you'll find plenty of other friends there who will want to be your friend back, I promise you. Just ask to see their passports before inviting them, ok? :P

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Maarten : there you go .. for the cost of one flight "Philippines-Singapore" you can do 3 or 4 flights "Singapore-Philippines" - 3K, 5J, and more .. ;)

And you could possibly get to know "more people" too I guess :D

Maarten

Postby Maarten » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 4:44 pm

ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Philippines is a cheap flight, see her there. If things don't work out, you'll find plenty of other friends there who will want to be your friend back, I promise you. Just ask to see their passports before inviting them, ok? :P

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Maarten : there you go .. for the cost of one flight "Philippines-Singapore" you can do 3 or 4 flights "Singapore-Philippines" - 3K, 5J, and more .. ;)

And you could possibly get to know "more people" too I guess :D

:D :D :D :D :D Thats true!

But still ...

Anyway ... I just wrote a very kind and polite email to the customer service officer social visits ICA. I am curious what will come out .... actually I did not know they had a customer service at ICA

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 4:46 pm

Maarten wrote:
:D :D :D :D :D Thats true!

But still ...

Anyway ... I just wrote a very kind and polite email to the customer service officer social visits ICA. I am curious what will come out .... actually I did not know they had a customer service at ICA

They do have customer service officer .. but, unless you can prove relationship, appealing for 'friends with benefit' or 'girl friends' rarely worked, from what I know .. maybe you are the lucky and chosen one :D

And how about employing your neighbour's maid, by the way ?? :D :D

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Postby merichan » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 4:55 pm

zzm9980 wrote:

Honestly I think comparing Singapore with US/Europe is a bridge to far. Singapore is not similar at all ... Race or social background is never an issue with these destinations .. as long you did your paperwork well and you live up to the rules and regulations being publicized openly by those governments ...

You're *joking* right? Single females under the age of 35 from third-world countries are pretty much barred entry to the US, and I assume much of the EU.

I can't even easily get a tourist visa to the US for my wife, who is married to an American citizen and has a daughter who is an American citizen, because she has the misfortune of being born in poor country (relatively) and is still "too young" (under 30).

+1

getting a visa in the EU would be probably as troublesome as getting a visa in Singapore... maybe even more...

I know a lot of people who have lost all hopes of getting a visa for a single female depending where she is from...

Only difference would be probably that they would tell you explicitly that you can't get entry/visa BECAUSE she is a single female with a high flight risk and/or entering with the purpose of staying for good etc...

Maarten

Postby Maarten » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 5:01 pm

merichan wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

+1

getting a visa in the EU would be probably as troublesome as getting a visa in Singapore... maybe even more...

I know a lot of people who have lost all hopes of getting a visa for a single female depending where she is from...

Only difference would be probably that they would tell you explicitly that you can't get entry/visa BECAUSE she is a single female with a high flight risk and/or entering with the purpose of staying for good etc...

Partly true ... I speak from own experience inviting people from Asia to The Netherlands. Its rare that a Filipino will ever travel back to her home country when arriving in Holland on a tourist visa. So indeed its very harsh to get into the country ... (once you entered the Netherlands you have access to most of Europe...)

The main difference to me is that custom regulations (fair or not fair) are at least transparent ...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 5:16 pm

The rules in the US simply state that you must convince the consulate that you will not over stay your visit. Assumed guilty you can prove otherwise.

How do you do that without massive local wealth and connections? Not easy. Even in my case, they avoid giving my wife a non-immigrant tourist visa as they automatically assume I am using that as a "loop hole" to avoid the normal spousal visa process, would take 12-16 months (an absurd time frame on its own).

In my case, I was extremely lucky in that I got a few 'hints' out of the local FSO as to what works best to "convince".

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 5:18 pm

Maarten wrote:Partly true ... I speak from own experience inviting people from Asia to The Netherlands.

How many young single Asian females do you tend to invite, and where are you meeting all of them? :P Because I can make some assumptions, and those assumptions would dovetail with likely red-flags for ICA :wink: