Singapore Expats Forum

Renouncing citizenship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
salmanucit

Renouncing citizenship

Postby salmanucit » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 4:45 pm

Hi,

I just want to know about implications of renouncing Singapore citizenship (just for my information). If you take citizenship after being PR and then renounce citizenship afterwards, you need to pay government for the facilities you used when you were citizen. For example

1. Subsidies in medical
2. Subsidies in children education
3. Subsidy while buying HDB flat and grant of 30000 taken for buying HDB flat.
4. Any other subsidy.

Can someone please answer and let me know if all this is true or some part of it is true?

Thanks

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 4:57 pm

You don't have to pay, but you will probably not be allowed to come to Singapore again - not even for a short visit.

salmanucit

Postby salmanucit » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 5:03 pm

So should i conclude that I would need to pay zero amount what so ever (other than outstanding tax claimed by IRAS)

Salman

voxies09

Postby voxies09 » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 5:22 pm

if you take hdb grant, i think you need to return it..

salmanucit

Postby salmanucit » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 6:53 pm

In any case? or just if i leave Singapore within 5 years of taking this grant and selling flat for leaving the Singapore?

Any one else for a confirmed answer?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 9:03 pm

Out of curiosity, what are your intentions here? Are you weighing if it's worth becoming a citizen, or are you already citizen planning to leave? A quick search of your posts makes it seem you've only been a PR a few years.

I nominate this thread to be stickied and become required reading for every "masters" holder wondering why their PR applications aren't getting approved.

salmanucit

Postby salmanucit » Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:14 am

> Are you weighing if it's worth becoming a citizen
Yes, it is right of anyone to weigh this. If I am here, I am contributing to the development of Singapore and getting paid for this (Its is a win-win situation and not like someone is stealing the wealth of Singapore and taking to his home country, if you think rationaly and putting your patriotism aside)
>I nominate this thread to be stickied and become required reading for every "masters" holder wondering why their PR applications aren't getting approved.
It has nothing to do with PR approval or rejection, again if you think rationaly without being patriot.

Salman

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:05 am

salmanucit wrote:> Are you weighing if it's worth becoming a citizen
Yes, it is right of anyone to weigh this. If I am here, I am contributing to the development of Singapore and getting paid for this (Its is a win-win situation and not like someone is stealing the wealth of Singapore and taking to his home country, if you think rationaly and putting your patriotism aside)
>I nominate this thread to be stickied and become required reading for every "masters" holder wondering why their PR applications aren't getting approved.
It has nothing to do with PR approval or rejection, again if you think rationaly without being patriot.

Salman

Dear Salman, don't take zzm's words personally. And patriotism is not the issue at hand at the moment anyway.

You'd probably be aware by now the grouses of PR/citizenship aired by the locals (and amplified during recent GE). You may or may not be part of that statistic, but there have been far too many PRs or new-citizens who do have ulterior motives of PR-ship and subsequently citizenship and milked their way through and then leaving this place high and dry.

And your post, inadvertently, have raised many red flags here.

Until someone expert of subject matter comes up to answer your questions, my only answer is this:

1. Whatever privilege you have enjoyed whilst being a PR/citizen of this country, you have to be prepared to pay back to the country upon renouncing. HDB, scholarship bond, etc. The less you take from them, the less you have to worry about paying them back.

2. By how much (or how little), I do not have a confirmed answer in my hand at the moment. Confirmed answers are best from ICA themselves (where changes are subjected to them as well from time to time).

Just a pure logic of give-and-take.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:45 am

salmanucit wrote:> Are you weighing if it's worth becoming a citizen

Salman

I'm not being Patriotic, but the people applying for citizenship should be. At least, that is what the current citizens and those who can make you one want. They don't want people who look at it like a financial transaction. (Which you are) As far as the government is concerned, you're contributing just as much to the development of Singapore as an EP holder or PR. They don't realize any financial gain by making you a citizen.

Additionally, by them granting you citizenship, you receive non-quantifiable benefits such as being allowed to remain in Singapore forever, a red passport, etc. It is assumed that this is a significant benefit to those seeking citizenship over whatever their current citizenship provides, or in this case, whatever country you're from. (By my quick Google of your handle, I'm guessing Pakistan)

OkLah

Re: Renouncing citizenship

Postby OkLah » Thu, 12 Jan 2012 12:47 pm

I was not asked to pay back any subsidies that I had enjoyed be it medical or education. neither was I asked to pay back the CPF housing grant. And I got back the entire sum in my CPF accounts. I have also been entering Singapore on SVPs since renouncing my citizenship so no issues there either. The only caveat is that I am a born citizen who had done NS. Not sure if it matters in your case.
salmanucit wrote:Hi,

I just want to know about implications of renouncing Singapore citizenship (just for my information). If you take citizenship after being PR and then renounce citizenship afterwards, you need to pay government for the facilities you used when you were citizen. For example

1. Subsidies in medical
2. Subsidies in children education
3. Subsidy while buying HDB flat and grant of 30000 taken for buying HDB flat.
4. Any other subsidy.

Can someone please answer and let me know if all this is true or some part of it is true?

Thanks