Singapore Expats Forum

License Conversion for big bike

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.

Sponsored by:
Image
AVIS Car Rental
mansoor999
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue, 10 Jan 2012

License Conversion for big bike

Postby mansoor999 » Tue, 10 Jan 2012 11:56 pm

Hi all,

i moved to Singapore about 5 months ago. In Nov 2010 i got my big bike license in the UK. My plan was now to purchase a big bike but i'm hearing conflicting info. I've read through many forums and messages are similar but not all clear and some conflict. Apologies if anyone is repeating themselves but i'm going to put my questions really clearly and i hope someone will be able to help.

1. If i convert my license, i've been told all i need to do is book in a theory test of 50 questions. If that is the case, once converted, can i ride any bike or am i definitely restricted to a maximum of 200cc (as i've been reading)

2. If i'm told that i'll be restricted, is there anyway that i can get past that restriction so i can get onto a big bike? I'm not particularly against a scooter as i've riden a few small engined bikes over the years, its just not my preference :(

3. I've seen three test centers online that i can take my theory test at. Once sat, do they give you your new license there and then? I ask as I've also seen mention of a traffic police center and am not sure what their involvement is.

Thanks

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu, 03 Jan 2008
Location: Singapore

Re: License Conversion for big bike

Postby curiousgeorge » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 4:00 am

mansoor999 wrote:Hi all,

i moved to Singapore about 5 months ago. In Nov 2010 i got my big bike license in the UK. My plan was now to purchase a big bike but i'm hearing conflicting info. I've read through many forums and messages are similar but not all clear and some conflict. Apologies if anyone is repeating themselves but i'm going to put my questions really clearly and i hope someone will be able to help.

1. If i convert my license, i've been told all i need to do is book in a theory test of 50 questions. If that is the case, once converted, can i ride any bike or am i definitely restricted to a maximum of 200cc (as i've been reading)

2. If i'm told that i'll be restricted, is there anyway that i can get past that restriction so i can get onto a big bike? I'm not particularly against a scooter as i've riden a few small engined bikes over the years, its just not my preference :(

3. I've seen three test centers online that i can take my theory test at. Once sat, do they give you your new license there and then? I ask as I've also seen mention of a traffic police center and am not sure what their involvement is.

Thanks


I take it you have read the Traffic Police guidance?
http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/ ... ersion.htm

"Conversion for a higher capacity or open category motorcycle licence is normally not granted unless there are documentary proof of training, testing, ownership of bigger motorcycle and insurance policy indicating that you have gone through proper training and testing regime and have had at least one year riding experience on the road."

Sounds to me that if you got your license in Nov 2010, and moved here five months ago that you don't have proof of big motorcycle ownership AND at least one year riding experience on the road. Do you have such proof? No?

In which case, when you convert, you will probably only get 2B. However, if you have the necessary proof, you are the right nationality (Aussies and Brits seem to have more chance than Americans, Indians, etc) then you *might* get class 2. There is no hard and fast rule for previous big bike owners. For myself, I am approaching 40, I had been riding for 10 years, owned several big bikes and had documents to prove it, and they didn't blink an eye when I asked for Class 2.

If you are American*, riding for <1yr, age 23 then it is probably unlikely you will get Class2 (*see the yanks ride on the wrong side of the road, the rules are different in Singapore ;))

If you're restricted, you're restricted, you have to take tests to climb up the ranks to 2A and 2 like everyone else here.

Most expats will buy a big bike and ride is here on their home license for the first year, then use that as proof when they take the test after 12 months. (Be warned, test dates can take 2-3 months to come through, so you could end up being here 15 months before you actually convert - although I am not aware of anyone who got into trouble because of this).

When you take the test (and pass) you apply for your new license (with photo) there and then. They give you a paper temp license, and your photocard arrives in the post a few days later. Only need to visit the traffic police at Ubi if you are converting a 5-yr foreigner license to a full-time SG license, which you need to do if you become a PR or citizen only.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10408
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 7:51 am

I agree with most of CG's comments... except I think you'll probably be able to get the unlimited license.

UK has quite a stringent scheme, similar to SG... he has the evidence.

mansoor999
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue, 10 Jan 2012

Postby mansoor999 » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:46 am

Thanks very much for clearing that up.

I do have evidence of a big bike that I purchased in Nov 2010. Admittedly i only rode it for 9 months but was riding for a couple of years before that on 125cc's.

I suppose it leads to one last question then.........

If I want to ride on my current UK license for the remainder of the first 12 months (7 months), do I need to get an International license first or can I just go out and buy a bike on my UK license and get myself insured?

Thanks again

mansoor999
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue, 10 Jan 2012

Postby mansoor999 » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 11:09 am

I just called the AA and they confirmed that i can drive/ride for the first twelve months but asked me to speak to the local traffic police to get confirmation on whether i could actually purchase a vehicle on my UK license prior to conversion of my license. I'm awaiting a call back and then i think i'll have the answers i needed. Will post what their response is for all,

thanks again

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10408
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:49 pm

You can purchase a bike and insurance and ride it, all on your UK license. Just be aware that you will probably not be able to finance it.

Quite a few folks have done this, ridden for almost a year, then done the conversion, asking for unlimited. This was done before traffic police changed website to say some people could get unlimited.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 2:32 pm

I bought a bike on a UK license, insurance was fine for first year but insurance company did say they wouldn't renew unless I had a Sg license.

I was given a Class 2 with no request for proof of big bike experience, I did take it though, having read the forums.

User avatar
breakfastforthebestfood
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed, 22 Feb 2012

Postby breakfastforthebestfood » Thu, 01 Mar 2012 7:38 am

I'm curious what proof is needed coming from the US. Much of what's listed in the link wouldn't be saved by most people unless they knew it would be needed to convert the license. I had a motorcycle safety course from AAA once upon a time only because it was required to ride on base while I was in the service. I looked around though and am pretty sure that I no longer have the paper they gave me almost 2 decades ago. Vehicle insurance isn't required in NH to operate any vehicle, and although I did have insurance, it lapsed while in seasonal storage.

I have a title from an '86 Intruder 700 that I bought in 1996. Anyone know if this would be evidence enough? I don't plan to buy anything within a year of moving to Singapore, but it would be a shame to not have credit for having operated motorcycles all these years... just in case I want to get a bike later. Really though, I don't think many road legal bikes under 500cc are even sold in the US. That 700cc Intruder was actually a small bike.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 01 Mar 2012 9:36 am

breakfastforthebestfood wrote: I don't think many road legal bikes under 500cc are even sold in the US. That 700cc Intruder was actually a small bike.


Sure there are. I owned a Ninja 250 back in the Bay Area (so much fun to keep up with liter bike squids on the curvies!), and had a friend with an Aprillia 125 :D

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 01 Mar 2012 1:54 pm

Back in the states, I had a series of Yamaha's back in the '60's ranging from 55-350cc, Later a BSA Goldstar Single (500cc), A 45 ci Harley Flathead, and an 850 Norton Commando.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu, 03 Jan 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby curiousgeorge » Thu, 01 Mar 2012 7:27 pm

breakfastforthebestfood wrote:I'm curious what proof is needed coming from the US. Much of what's listed in the link wouldn't be saved by most people unless they knew it would be needed to convert the license. I had a motorcycle safety course from AAA once upon a time only because it was required to ride on base while I was in the service. I looked around though and am pretty sure that I no longer have the paper they gave me almost 2 decades ago. Vehicle insurance isn't required in NH to operate any vehicle, and although I did have insurance, it lapsed while in seasonal storage.

I have a title from an '86 Intruder 700 that I bought in 1996. Anyone know if this would be evidence enough? I don't plan to buy anything within a year of moving to Singapore, but it would be a shame to not have credit for having operated motorcycles all these years... just in case I want to get a bike later. Really though, I don't think many road legal bikes under 500cc are even sold in the US. That 700cc Intruder was actually a small bike.


Sounds like you have a few miles on the clock yourself ;)
Your age will be the biggest proof in the first instance, as older people seem to have more success first time getting Class 2 license.

In terms of paperwork, think less certificates and more photos? Surely you have 20yrs of photos showing you on different big bikes?
Also, what about insurance? Can your insurer at least see what bikes you have owned and insured with them? Or possibly even write a letter saying you have insured with them for XX yrs?

Segue
Regular
Regular
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat, 21 Feb 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Segue » Wed, 02 May 2012 5:29 pm

Seems to be dependent on age and nationality.

I converted by US license (we don't have size category) to class 2 (open) without even asking for it.

I was surprised that they were even able to confirm it. Every state in the US has a different nomenclature for motorcycle endorsement. Mine was from Texas and the license category is "CM" where as car only is "C". Most states will have a check box for endorsements (mine says "no endorsements") Also, nowhere on the licence does it clearly state it is valid for motorcycles - the only evidence is the category. I was surprised that they were able to verify the category among all the 50 different US drivers licenses - my introduction to Singapore efficiency.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 02 May 2012 8:25 pm

Segue wrote:Seems to be dependent on age and nationality.

I converted by US license (we don't have size category) to class 2 (open) without even asking for it.

I was surprised that they were even able to confirm it. Every state in the US has a different nomenclature for motorcycle endorsement. Mine was from Texas and the license category is "CM" where as car only is "C". Most states will have a check box for endorsements (mine says "no endorsements") Also, nowhere on the licence does it clearly state it is valid for motorcycles - the only evidence is the category. I was surprised that they were able to verify the category among all the 50 different US drivers licenses - my introduction to Singapore efficiency.


I just had almost the exact same experience when I converted my license on Monday. My California license was 'C M1'.
"So this M1 is for motorbike?"
'yes'
"How many CC?"
'No limit'
"ok la!"

And I got unlimited CC.

mansoor999
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue, 10 Jan 2012

Postby mansoor999 » Sun, 26 Aug 2012 10:34 pm

3 months on and I have an update.

I booked my theory test. When I showed them my license which had two years of big bike riding experience, they listed my bike pass date as Nov 2010 which is less than the 3 years required.

I passed my theory, took all pass certificates with me as well as proof of my riding and ownership of a 600cc plus bike in Singapore as well as my UK bike and they converted my licence to an unlimited.

I purposely bought the big bike and rode in Singapore for as long as possible on my international license (1 year max) and I think that also helped.

I think they appreciate someone being organised and polite.

Ducati monster!!!! Baby you are being kept now!!!!

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10408
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 26 Aug 2012 10:41 pm

mansoor999 wrote:3 months on and I have an update.

I booked my theory test. When I showed them my license which had two years of big bike riding experience, they listed my bike pass date as Nov 2010 which is less than the 3 years required.

I passed my theory, took all pass certificates with me as well as proof of my riding and ownership of a 600cc plus bike in Singapore as well as my UK bike and they converted my licence to an unlimited.

I purposely bought the big bike and rode in Singapore for as long as possible on my international license (1 year max) and I think that also helped.

I think they appreciate someone being organised and polite.

Ducati monster!!!! Baby you are being kept now!!!!


Well done. I think the ownership of a big bike in SG, with no accidents, and no tickets, goes a long way to getting that unlimited ticket.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Road bike or trail bike
    by dksid » Thu, 12 Mar 2015 10:42 am » in Entertainment, Leisure & Sports
    3
    2138
    by the lynx View the latest post
    Tue, 17 Mar 2015 9:11 am
  • Problem in license conversion
    by angry scientist » Wed, 31 Oct 2012 1:04 pm » in Cars & Motorcycles
    18
    10119
    by x9200 View the latest post
    Sun, 10 Mar 2013 8:49 pm
  • Foreign License conversion
    by ewiz77 » Sun, 28 Jul 2013 2:02 pm » in Cars & Motorcycles
    3
    3504
    by the lynx View the latest post
    Mon, 29 Jul 2013 9:16 am
  • Driving license conversion
    by Steve1960 » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 1:18 pm » in Cars & Motorcycles
    1
    3022
    by Steve1960 View the latest post
    Wed, 14 Aug 2013 1:22 pm
  • Confusion over license conversion & worried I can't start new job!
    by Hayz6609 » Sat, 25 Apr 2015 11:19 pm » in Cars & Motorcycles
    22
    6612
    by Primrose Hill View the latest post
    Wed, 06 May 2015 2:17 pm

Return to “Cars & Motorcycles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest