Singapore Expats Forum

PEP Query - please help

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 2:52 am

Leave arranging the flight to the company. If they get it wrong (O/W vs R/T) it's their problem.

Appointment - as suggested do it after you arrive, you can work on your IPA in the interim.

Edit to add:
I write this having lost count of the number of EU >< SIN flights I have done, and never once have I been asked for proof of onward/return flight. However if your company decide to take the precautionary measure of booking you a R/T flight... leave that to them to worry about.
Last edited by JR8 on Thu, 23 Feb 2012 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Travelguy

Postby Travelguy » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 3:02 am

Thanks for this, and it makes sense.

Ok a few more weeks and here I come! oh how I've missed you Char Kway Teow. :D
Wen life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: PEP Arrival Process

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:56 am

JR8 wrote:You enter SG with an IPA, and say 21 days later take the medical for your visa based upon which you happen to fail at the issuance stage.

Why does the airline that flew you there on a single ticket have any responsibility or liability for anything?

Because, for Intra Asian flights, when a passenger get's refused entry, it is the airline that flew in the pax, that has to fly the pax out ..

Hence the common ruse of some asian passengers to loose their ticket when they land in LHR, or LGW, so by the time the border police finds out who carried the passenger in, it is a bit too late.

Well, my quote is for Intra Asian flights - you flew in from Europe - don't apply !!

And the common answer that the IPA is not a pass is used by the 'other ends', and the scenario of having come here and failing Medical a week later will not hurt the airline, doesn't work for some immigration officers. In other words - Logic doesn't fly sometimes .

And since Travelguy is flying in from US, he don't need to worry anyway ..

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:24 am

Travelguy wrote:Thanks for this, and it makes sense.

If your company is paying for it, and you don't need to stop in London for a specific reason, try and get on one of SIA's non-stop "Business Jets". All business class non stop. They fly out of LAX and EWR.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 1:51 pm

zzm9980 wrote:

If your company is paying for it, and you don't need to stop in London for a specific reason, try and get on one of SIA's non-stop "Business Jets". All business class non stop. They fly out of LAX and EWR.

And loose 2 days, when out of EWR and 1 day out of LAX ? :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 3:11 pm

Squirrel, you wanna look at that again. If he's flying from the east coast of the US, regardless of the direction he flies, he will arrive in Singapore in the same general time frame (if connections are made within reasonable times and no stopovers. I know. I've flown more times than I want to think about from the US east coast to here. The last flight was from Newark as well (EWR) which flies east across europe. Usually I fly via Chicago west - arrives around the same time either direction.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 3:45 pm

ecureilx wrote:
JR8 wrote:You enter SG with an IPA, and say 21 days later take the medical for your visa based upon which you happen to fail at the issuance stage.
Why does the airline that flew you there on a single ticket have any responsibility or liability for anything?

Because, for Intra Asian flights, when a passenger get's refused entry, it is the airline that flew in the pax, that has to fly the pax out ..

Don't know about anyone else but you confuse the heck out of me sometimes! :)
What you state does not relate to my question. What you are referring to applies to all airlines; i.e. they have a responsibility to check you have a right to enter the country that you are flying to.

Hence the common ruse of some asian passengers to loose their ticket when they land in LHR, or LGW, so by the time the border police finds out who carried the passenger in, it is a bit too late.

They could x-check passenger manifests. But if what you say is true, I suspect that it is down to the UK apparently routinely having no border checks in place at all.
Example: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... YEARS.html

Well, my quote is for Intra Asian flights - you flew in from Europe - don't apply !!

The OP is not taking an intra-Asia flight.

And the common answer that the IPA is not a pass is used by the 'other ends',

Not sure how that's relevant, he's American, he can get an SVP at Changi.

and the scenario of having come here and failing Medical a week later will not hurt the airline, doesn't work for some immigration officers. In other words - Logic doesn't fly sometimes .

If that happened to me, then I'd sue the airline. Simple!

Hallelujah, you got there in the end ;)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 3:48 pm

ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

And loose 2 days, when out of EWR and 1 day out of LAX ? :)

You're losing a lot of time no matter how you decide to fly... Unless you really meant "loose"ing, in which case you're doing something to space/time that I'm not familiar with as I didn't go that far into Physics :P

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 3:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Squirrel, you wanna look at that again. If he's flying from the east coast of the US, regardless of the direction he flies, he will arrive in Singapore in the same general time frame (if connections are made within reasonable times and no stopovers. I know. I've flown more times than I want to think about from the US east coast to here. The last flight was from Newark as well (EWR) which flies east across europe. Usually I fly via Chicago west - arrives around the same time either direction.

SIN-LAX/SIN-EWR, as mentioned by zzm9980 is NON-STOP

Did you fly non-stop ?

SQ 22 SINEWR 345 M 0 DCA/E
SQ 21 EWRSIN 345 M 0 DCA/E
SQ 38 SINLAX 345 M 0 DCA/E
SQ 37 LAXSIN 345 M 0 DCA/E
-------------------->^
--------------------> 0 denotes number of stops, i.e. NON-STOP

In CRS, List price is at 4406.00 US$ before taxes

EWR-SIN

"Flight SQ22 will depart Singapore for New York (Newark airport) at 1205 hours and arrive in the Big Apple at 1830 hours the same day. The return service will depart from Newark at 2300 hours and touch down in Singapore at 0535 hours two days later."

So what says, Big Chief ?

The Squirrel got it wrong again ? :o: I know you are getting old :)

zzm9980 : Well, I tend to mix up lost and loosed .. and losted, having been influenced by Singlish and Singapore .. :(

SMS: sorry, list price is at 8,500 US$ equivalent, on all-business. Premium Economy at 4,406 is not available anymore.
Last edited by ecureilx on Thu, 23 Feb 2012 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 3:49 pm

JR8 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
JR8 wrote: and the scenario of having come here and failing Medical a week later will not hurt the airline, doesn't work for some immigration officers. In other words - Logic doesn't fly sometimes .

If that happened to me, then I'd sue the airline. Simple!

Hallelujah, you got there in the end ;)

And actually since he's an American, no health check either. Just a declaration he needs to sign.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 3:54 pm

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Squirrel, you wanna look at that again. If he's flying from the east coast of the US, regardless of the direction he flies, he will arrive in Singapore in the same general time frame (if connections are made within reasonable times and no stopovers. I know. I've flown more times than I want to think about from the US east coast to here. The last flight was from Newark as well (EWR) which flies east across europe. Usually I fly via Chicago west - arrives around the same time either direction.

SIN-LAX/SIN-EWR, as mentioned by zzm9980 is NON-STOP

Did you fly non-stop ?

SQ 22 SINEWR 345 M 0 DCA/E
SQ 21 EWRSIN 345 M 0 DCA/E
SQ 38 SINLAX 345 M 0 DCA/E
SQ 37 LAXSIN 345 M 0 DCA/E
-------------------->^
--------------------> 0 denotes number of stops, i.e. NON-STOP

In CRS, List price is at 4406.00 US$ before taxes

EWR-SIN

"Flight SQ22 will depart Singapore for New York (Newark airport) at 1205 hours and arrive in the Big Apple at 1830 hours the same day. The return service will depart from Newark at 2300 hours and touch down in Singapore at 0535 hours two days later."

So what says, Big Chief ?

The Squirrel got it wrong again ? :o:

Most every flight to Asia from the US is the same thing. For example, I frequented SFO outbound. The CX and SQ flights I prefered left SFO about 1am, and landed in HKG at ~6am the next day. This is due to the length of the flight and crossing the date-line. If you look at your flight schedule, it's only "+2 days" because the flight from EWR leaves two hours earlier than the flights from SFO, and arrives an hour earlier. So really, it's not an extra day by 24-hour interval, just an extra day on the Calendar. Or to better illustrate, the difference between your flight leaving at 11pm Sunday night or 1am Monday morning. Either way, you touch down in Asia at 6am Tuesday morning (somewhere around 5-6 PM Monday in the original time zone you departed from)

Trust me on this. I earned Marco Polo Diamond in a year from SFO-HKG-SIN :P I know that schedule.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 4:01 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Trust me on this. I earned Marco Polo Diamond in a year from SFO-HKG-SIN :P I know that schedule.

... isn't SQ21/22/37/38 the only flights doing the Polar route ?

I sit in the tail end, not in the pointy end, so never figured that out though.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 4:03 pm

zzm9980 wrote:And actually since he's an American, no health check either. Just a declaration he needs to sign.

As far as I understand it most visas that give residency status, require a medical. The purpose of which is to screen your for TB and HIV.

Self-declaration? I'm not sure where/when that comes into anything, but I'm happy to be proved wrong!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 4:14 pm

JR8 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:And actually since he's an American, no health check either. Just a declaration he needs to sign.

As far as I understand it most visas that give residency status, require a medical. The purpose of which is to screen your for TB and HIV.

Self-declaration? I'm not sure where/when that comes into anything, but I'm happy to be proved wrong!

I have not been to a doctor or had any kind of medical exam since before I arrived in Singapore. This is for EP P1 and then PEP. On the PEP, there was a declaration form that had me check a box that said I didn't knowingly have HIV, and that was it. Signed and done. Same thing for my wife (not American) and daughter (American but born in Vietnam).

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 4:16 pm

ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Trust me on this. I earned Marco Polo Diamond in a year from SFO-HKG-SIN :P I know that schedule.

... isn't SQ21/22/37/38 the only flights doing the Polar route ?

I sit in the tail end, not in the pointy end, so never figured that out though.

I avoid SQ, so I'm not sure. (Yes, I'm a snob. CX Business + First is nicer than SQ, although I haven't tried the A380 yet.) But from SFO, it's SQ1/2 via HKG and SQ16/17 via ICN. Neither are polar.